1. JAY

JAY Administrator
    Staff Member

Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
  2. steffen707

steffen707 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
    Liked:
  3. NaughtyGeek

NaughtyGeek Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gator JTR
    Liked:
    I just can't imagine paying that for a head unit. To go from the 5" it may be worthwhile, but $3K? HFS!

4. mdrideout

mdrideout Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    1973 CJ5 (want a Gladiator)
    Liked:
    Yeah you can upgrade uconnect for a lot less. There are some other features but idk if they are worth that much.

5. Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Evilhomer 0||||||||0 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2008 Wrangler
    Liked:
    Great info from actual owner. Now if we can get a review of the insane audio unit for comparison. I think price will rule out most on this unit, however some people hate the infotainment systems and dont mind the coin. interesting about the install time taking so long. I'm curious if it was the wiring (should be plug and play) or if it was the dash that caused the headache......

6. Southbayglad

Southbayglad Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Travis
    Vehicle(s):
    Jeep gladiator 2020
    Liked:
    Im not being sarcastic at all. And I don't care about the price. But is it just me or does the stock system look better?

7. Mightytalldude

Mightytalldude Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rob aka MTD
    Vehicle(s):
    GCM Sport S, 6spd manual, 3pc hard top, tonneau cover, bed liner, running boards. Current: 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Former: 2016 Jeep Cherokee, '01 Super Duty, '69 CJ-5
    Liked:
    Retail Management Hell
    Southbayglad likes this.
  8. Rob_Quadratec

Rob_Quadratec Member
    Summit Sponsor (Level 3)

First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Sting-Gray Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1992 Jeep Cherokee, 1947 Bantam T3-C Overland Expedition Trailer
    Liked:
    Video Host
    We put together a complete install video, from start to finish, that you can check out on the Quadratec YouTube Channel here:

We've got a review and demonstration video coming in the next couple days as well. I've had the unit in my Gladiator for a few weeks now, and I can say I'm very happy with the fit and function of the X409, coming from the 7" OE unit to start.

To address the install time... I can say that the unit was totally plug and plug. There was no cutting or trimming of the dash, like what was required for the JK, or any cutting or crimping of wires. There's a bit of time involved in fishing the wiring from the radio cavity, down below the steering column, and running the wiring for the GPS antenna and the microphone. Other than that, there's really nothing to difficult about the install. If you've installed a few radios before and are familiar with pulling a dash apart, you should be able to finish the install in a few hours. Maybe more than 2, but I bet less than 7.

If anyone has any specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

TxGladiator, sass JT and furrymurray like this.
  9. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gladiator Overland
    Liked:
    1. In my JK with the OEM 430N (iirc) nav unit, I could set my radio view to show what song was playing on my 6 presets at once. Sadly, I can’t do that in the JT. Can we do that with the Alpine?
    2. I have the Alpine upgrade in the JT, would this head unit be better paired with a speaker upgrade?
    3. Does the Alpine have better EQ controls? Or subwoofer controls?

10. bolingde

bolingde Active Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gladitor
    Liked:
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but just wondering if anyone knows the Model # of the 8.4 touchscreen? I'm not going to spend the time or money to replace it but I do like that fact that it has hdmi input. It would be nice to be able to add a front cam and have display via the touchscreen. Whether that's possible or not it would be nice to see what the inputs etc are for it.

Thanks in advance.

11. furrymurray

furrymurray Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator SG Rubicon
    Liked:
    I absolutely loved this video Rob! Very informative and detailed to the point I believe I could get this install done myself. Thank you for that! I look forward to seeing the review and demonstration video you will have out soon. Thank you

12. MrKnowitall

MrKnowitall Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Guenther
    Vehicle(s):
    14 JKU-R
    Liked:
    The Insane JL3001 will be about half as much, and Phoenix makes a unit for $500 and change with wireless CarPlay. The Insane unit claims to be weather resistant, which is something to consider.

13. bolingde

bolingde Active Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gladitor
    Liked:
    This looks promising. Think I'll see how they turn out after they get a few installs. The 8.4 does 95% of what I want one to do.