Sponsored

Alu-cab canopy Jeep Gladiator #001

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
  • It comes with seal on bottom of canopy and my wife and I took it out of the crate sat it up there and lined it up. I put three mounts per side tightened them down and added two small spots of Black RTV on each front corner where I thought i saw a small speck of light. It was way easier than a Tacoma I had one of those too
Did they have an extra seal for the back of the box where it doesn't have the plastic cap like the side bed rails?
Sponsored

OP
OP
LifesaverJT

LifesaverJT

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Firefighter Paramedic
Did they have an extra seal for the back of the box where it doesn't have the plastic cap like the side bed rails?
No the bottom of the canopy drops down to meet that area and at the outside corner where it comes up is where I put a small amount of black RTV. I will try and take a few pics later and post up here. I tapeed my off and you can’t even tell

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
@LifesaverJT, who installed your canopy? Did it come with "d-rubber that you had to secure to the bed rails, or was this rubber on the canopy rails, and that sits on the bed rails?

I asked the dealer for the install directions, he said they don't have them for the JT, but do for the Tacoma, and its virtually the same......at 6 pages, it was not complete in my opinion, but i checked their site......that's the manual they give. They mention items needed, "turpentine, cloth, black sealant, silicone or sikaflex, window cleaner" But then don't mention them again. So I don't know if you're supposed to glue this thing down with the sealant, or if the sealant glues the D-rubber down..... D-Rubber is also not listed under tools nor items needed........Wish I bought an RSI.....JUST KIDDING!!! :CWL:
Sometimes you gotta go straight to the manufacturer cuz the dealer doesn't know. I got the Gladiator Install instructions. LOOKS SIMPLE.....not confusing like the 2016 Tacoma directions at all. Alu-Cab must have upgraded to Windows 10 Translate, lmao.

I like the colored diagrams and very detailed instructions on the shimming process. So glad I didn't change my order to an RSI....:CWL:
upload_2020-2-25_9-24-10.png

Attachments

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Thanks for posting the install directions.
Very detailed and well laid out.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for posting the install directions.
Very detailed and well laid out.
No problem!

I'm trying to get my hands on some of the mounting bracketry because I have an rsi bed rail system and I don't know if the Mopar designed nuts will work in my rails.

My cap is being delivered to a friend's warehouse. I want to be ready to install it when it comes, not driving around town looking for m8 hardware to work with my top.

Sponsored

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Hopefully I can put these instructions to use in about a month. Can't wait for the arrival of my cap!

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No problem!

I'm trying to get my hands on some of the mounting bracketry because I have an rsi bed rail system and I don't know if the Mopar designed nuts will work in my rails.

My cap is being delivered to a friend's warehouse. I want to be ready to install it when it comes, not driving around town looking for m8 hardware to work with my top.
ohh, wanted to ad one more thing from my post a while back
What did you do TO your Gladiator today?
I had to modify the toyota tie down because it was pulling out of my rail, so I ended up getting a specific thread m8 strut nut that fits the RSI rail.
upload_2019-11-29_21-28-14-png.png

I plan to do the same thing with the Alu-Cab nut plate seen below, Thread 2 strut nuts onto the bolt right in front of the nut plate so the teeth of the strut nut bite into the rail.

upload_2020-2-25_12-53-41.png

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When the directions only say M8 hex bolts, what thread pitch do you suppose they use?

@LifesaverJT, do you know? If you want to be the coolest Alu-Cab owner EVER and want to take one of the 12 bolts out and check it on a thread gauge at your local big box or hardware store, I would thank you. lol

I've seen M8x1.25 pitch and also M8x6mm for unistrut nuts on amazon, suppose I could just buy a set of both.
upload_2020-2-25_12-55-32.png

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ohh, wanted to ad one more thing from my post a while back
What did you do TO your Gladiator today?
I had to modify the toyota tie down because it was pulling out of my rail, so I ended up getting a specific thread m8 strut nut that fits the RSI rail.
upload_2019-11-29_21-28-14-png.png

I plan to do the same thing with the Alu-Cab nut plate seen below, Thread 2 strut nuts onto the bolt right in front of the nut plate so the teeth of the strut nut bite into the rail.

upload_2020-2-25_12-53-41.png
I'm sorry, i'm all over the place. What would you guys do if you didn't have the mopar rail.
  1. use 2 strut nuts in place of the nut plate.
  2. drill out 2 nut struts so the bolt passes through and sandwich the nut strut between the nut plate and the rail?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i probably shouldn't rant on a day i'm already pissy, but here goes. This is less about Alu-Cab and more about salespeople in general

I don't have the mopar trail rail, i have the Builtright rails. I realize that most things are designed for the mopar ones and some fabbing on my end will be needed. No big deal.

So I email my Alu-Cab dealer and ask.

“Any way I can buy an extra nut plate BEFORE my canopy comes in, so I can see what modifications need to be made to my rail system? I’m not using the mopar system, and am afraid the nut plate used won’t fit my rail. Or at the very least, can you get the dimensions of the nut plate?”

upload_2020-2-26_8-37-2.png

So the dealer asks for a link to the rails I have, I provide that and his response is.

“ I just spoke with the Alu-Cab team and after reviewing the link, we cannot verify that these rails will hold the canopy safely going down the road. For liability reasons, we would not personally install the canopy using the non OE rails. However, since we are not installing, the decision to install using the aftermarket rails is completely up to you. “

I realize he thinks he’s being helpful but COMPLETELY NEGLECTED THE REASON I EMAILED……. No dimensions, no news on buying an extra nut plate.

So I "shot in the dark" emailed Alu-Cab Africa (Who have been wonderful BTW) and ask for the dimensions of the nut........knowing full well its highly unlikely any person from customer service will have that.

This is what I get from THE MARKETING ASSISTANT...
"Please see attached,
upload_2020-2-26_8-40-37.png
"

As my 3 year old says, "That's the trumpet!" (he can't say ticket for some reason). Other than being in stupid non-american mm, its exactly what I wanted! (kidding, i like metric too)

Moral of my story is 3 fold.
  1. If you don't get the info you want, run it up the flagpole until you get the info.
  2. Sometimes people/companies will amaze you.
  3. My wife would say i'm just picky here, but I was in cellphone sales for 8 years. And in my new career as well as cellphones, you should always answer the person's question or solve their problem first, THEN if there's something else you think is relevant, tell them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LifesaverJT

LifesaverJT

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Firefighter Paramedic
When the directions only say M8 hex bolts, what thread pitch do you suppose they use?

@LifesaverJT, do you know? If you want to be the coolest Alu-Cab owner EVER and want to take one of the 12 bolts out and check it on a thread gauge at your local big box or hardware store, I would thank you. lol

I've seen M8x1.25 pitch and also M8x6mm for unistrut nuts on amazon, suppose I could just buy a set of both.
upload_2020-2-25_12-55-32.png
8 x 1.25

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
@steffen707 we have the same sales rep and communication has not been the best for me as well..
Anyway, as soon as I get mine I’ll be happy to ship you a set of clamps so that you can see if it will work for you.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@steffen707 we have the same sales rep and communication has not been the best for me as well..
Anyway, as soon as I get mine I’ll be happy to ship you a set of clamps so that you can see if it will work for you.
I will say @smlobx that his communication is best out of 3 Alu Dealers I contacted before I ordered. his pre and post sale communication has been the same, just different philosphy of communication I guess.

I'll let you know if I need the clamp or not, but certainly appreciate the offer!

OP
OP
LifesaverJT

LifesaverJT

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Firefighter Paramedic
Well I got the maxtrax mounted two on each door. I used 2”x16”x 1/8” aluminum flat bar as a backing plate and primed and texture painted them. I used the maxtrax pins and am very happy with the results

8D51F4BE-3DBA-4A99-92A8-2F836EF41696.jpeg

78A7F895-E229-4FD9-AC83-1A3129C4ED78.jpeg

E6424D77-AB46-4E59-8283-DC3A4CA8A3B4.jpeg

189589DC-42DD-4FCC-ADAA-84BC147DCB63.jpeg

8FD79373-DF3B-42D0-BEB1-1F6CE4F1AEBF.jpeg

111C9A2F-07C2-4D54-B07B-9CEFF634DAB3.jpeg