Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubican Diesel Sting Grey
Occupation
Business Owner
Alu Cab Canopy or RSI Smartcap Adventure

Ok I'm struggling on deciding which canopy.
These are the pros and cons that I know for me:

- Alu-cab I can have delivered in 3-4 weeks. RSi is 4-5 months.
- Alu-cab is $200 less.
- RSI looks better.
- Accessories are about the same?
- I cannot find how much they weigh.

Has anyone seen these 2 canopies and if they have which one do they prefer?
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I have the RSI SmartCap. I like it. I did wait about four months, but I was part of the original group and ordered in July 2020. The cap weighs 170 pounds. The RSI rack adds 40 pounds, and the stowaway table is another 40 pounds.

I ordered from Offroad Alliance. They should be able to provide the current delivery time estimates.

AKID_RBM

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave, 23 GCL, 15 Cherokee TH
Occupation
Construction
What is the purpose of your cap? I bird hunt and want a cap to haul my dog crate in. I need windows and screens. Of the 2, I've only see the RSI in person. Sadly it won't work for my use. Didn't care for how the windows worked and I'm leery of an unlined shell and condensation... leaning toward ARE at the moment, but looking to learn as much as possible before I drop the cash.....

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I use the cap to provide a covered, lockable space to carry things. The tonneau cover worked well, but didn't provide enough space. The opening side windows provide easy access to the whole bed. The windows are fine for me. The roof vent and gaps around the tailgate provide enough airflow for my needs.

kaeo_15

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I have the RSI Evo Adventure and like it. It’s tough, looks much better than other stainless canopies (IMO) and does everything I need it to. I don’t personally think the Alu-cab looks very good on the Gladiator.

Sponsored

tmac

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR 20
Occupation
Healthcare
Watching this thread! I am in the same place - I am waffling between Alu-Cab Explorer Canopy and RSI Adventure Smartcap. I like the one piece build of the Alu-Cab vs. the multiple pieces of the RSI smartcap. Also curious about dust getting in the Alu-Cab with no pressure vent.

OP
OP
ZabbaJones

ZabbaJones

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Business Owner
I have the RSI SmartCap. I like it. I did wait about four months, but I was part of the original group and ordered in July 2020. The cap weighs 170 pounds. The RSI rack adds 40 pounds, and the stowaway table is another 40 pounds.

I ordered from Offroad Alliance. They should be able to provide the current delivery time estimates.
I like the look of the look of the RSI

OP
OP
ZabbaJones

ZabbaJones

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Business Owner
I have the RSI Evo Adventure and like it. It’s tough, looks much better than other stainless canopies (IMO) and does everything I need it to. I don’t personally think the Alu-cab looks very good on the Gladiator.
I agree. I like the look of the RSI.

OP
OP
ZabbaJones

ZabbaJones

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Business Owner
What is the purpose of your cap? I bird hunt and want a cap to haul my dog crate in. I need windows and screens. Of the 2, I've only see the RSI in person. Sadly it won't work for my use. Didn't care for how the windows worked and I'm leery of an unlined shell and condensation... leaning toward ARE at the moment, but looking to learn as much as possible before I drop the cash.....
Mainly Overlanding and weekend camping. I pull a small Taxa Cricket so I want to keep and have my tools easily accessible.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I have the RLD because it's the one I wanted but of those two, Alu-Cab hands down. RSI looks nice but the Alu-Cab is lighter and I like the 1-piece construction instead of having to actually assemble a cap.

The concern I continue to have with the RSI is the roof capacity but if you don't plan on a lot of weight up there you should be fine either way.

Steven_B

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aroundthenw.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 WK2, 2001 XJ, 1993 YJ, 2021 JT EcoDiesel
Occupation
Digital Marketing Manager
We sell and install both. The Alu-Cab seams to be the more popular model with about a 5 to 1 ratio. And a lot of people end up mounting tents to the Alu-Cab models later on. I think both product look great, but I kind of like the Alu-Cab better. But I am also a fan of boxy vehicles, so thats probably why.

Its too bad the border isnt open, we have the Alu-Cabs in stock.

LaterGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
There is a reason that the Alucab canopy thread is shorter than the RSI canopy thread. The Alucab is better built, puts the load on the trail rails using shims/brackets instead of the on the bed caps using c-clamps, is one piece aluminum and light weight. The gasket under the canopy simply seals the canopy to the bed and carries no load.

I haven't had any problems with dust in the bed but I also use a ecoological gapshield to seal the gap between tailgate and the bed.

The Alucab canopy is much more utilitarian in design aesthetics, which fits my view of offroad capability. The other canopies are more fashionable designs like most other onroad trucks use.

I also have the ammo can rack across the front of the canopy for storage and the cupboards with builtright molle panels on each side for tool and recovery gear storage.

Jeep Gladiator Alu Cab Canopy or RSI Smartcap Adventure 20201025_131851

OP
OP
ZabbaJones

ZabbaJones

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Business Owner
I have the RLD because it's the one I wanted but of those two, Alu-Cab hands down. RSI looks nice but the Alu-Cab is lighter and I like the 1-piece construction instead of having to actually assemble a cap.

The concern I continue to have with the RSI is the roof capacity but if you don't plan on a lot of weight up there you should be fine either way.
Thanks. I agree with you

OP
OP
ZabbaJones

ZabbaJones

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Business Owner
We sell and install both. The Alu-Cab seams to be the more popular model with about a 5 to 1 ratio. And a lot of people end up mounting tents to the Alu-Cab models later on. I think both product look great, but I kind of like the Alu-Cab better. But I am also a fan of boxy vehicles, so thats probably why.

Its too bad the border isnt open, we have the Alu-Cabs in stock.
Oh wow. Thank you. I appreciate your opinion. Where are you located. I think the boarders are now open. Can someone confirm if they are open?
Sponsored