Sponsored

Am I F@5&$ed? ********UPDATED!!!

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Have had both Superchips Flashcal and AEV Procal just used to set tire size and enable options like which lights for drl. Never an issue with either. I believe the new AEV Snap works in the same way.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'd also like to add that in order to reject a warranty claim, they will need to actually identify what was wrong in the first place.
Yeah, they can't say by just looking at it. How would they know there wasn't actually a problem with the camera itself.
That's a good point - there's a lot of cable between that device in the tailgate and the console area, multiple connections, and settings in the radio unit that could at least be looked at.
In that case, they should warn - "if we find this isn't warranty you may need to pay a minimal service fee" then take a look.
The dealership was awfully fast to dismiss and claim entire electrical warranty would be void.

Dav6662

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Ribicon
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, they can't say by just looking at it. How would they know there wasn't actually a problem with the camera itself.
That's a good point - there's a lot of cable between that device in the tailgate and the console area, multiple connections, and settings in the radio unit that could at least be looked at.
In that case, they should warn - "if we find this isn't warranty you may need to pay a minimal service fee" then take a look.
The dealership was awfully fast to dismiss and claim entire electrical warranty would be void.
Very true...I would try another dealership

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Bottom line gets back to - remove devices, set things to standard if you've changed something big or obvious.

Sal

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I thought about buying a Pulsar, because it is inline, doesn't mess with the factory PCM, but I think I'll just stay away completely from this kind of mod.
I had a pulsar on my first jeep that got lemoned because of the misfires. Jeep ran all different types of test never left a flag. i did bring it back to stock before i took it in

Sponsored

rmerkushen

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Some seem to believe you can do anything you want with mods and expect the company to fix it if it breaks.
Especially ELECTRICAL systems, which are the most fragile, can be zapped by spikes or STATIC charges and so on.
Warranty is for when things break due to factory defect, workmanship or materials problems. Not for when you blow away a setting or something breaks while you are modifying it.
Since it worked prior to you making changes - well - you have admitted it's likely connected.

I agree - should ALWAYS remove outside devices that connect to the bus, and put things back to stock.
As far as the WHOLE electrical warranty - I can't see how they can refuse fixing your tail lights if they stop working. If the cluster stops displaying - can't see how that can be related. But you were in making changes to settings - and the backup camera is among the settings easily changed.

Expect to pay if you want anything fixed that's related to anything you touched or changed or can change with any outside device.
If you are messing with something and the backup camera stops working - you should have to pay. If the dealership charges it's their right. If they don't, it's a good-will thing.

You should not lose the whole electric system warranty - but if you suddenly find the radio/nav system stops working or won't keep settings, expect to pay since you were modifying factory settings.

I know the hardcore "I have a right to do anything and nothing I do can possibly break anything" will argue - but electrical things are still fragile. And settings - you were messing with things. And devices plugged in can cause damage. Case-in-point, I had an iPod totally blow out a whole USB system. I had similar happen at work when people decided to bring items from home and plug them into the computers.
I tend to stay away from long posters, but can’t help myself here. The tuner that we all use is nothing more than a toggle switcher within your vehicles software. Those toggles are there to enable or disable features depending on locale of the intended distribution. These toggle switches, or settings, drive functions and are not Hard software changes. So voiding Warranty on your back up camera because its supposedly fragile is Not something that I would take as a valid excuse from my dealer. I am willing to bet money on the fact that the OPs issue with the camera is unrelated. one way to check is set the settings back to stock.

coding - toggling of switches to enable/disable functions (this is what off the shelf programing modules do)

programming - updating software with either custom or proprietary code

the latter can cause a slew of unexpected behavior Especially if you attempting to write your own modification. The former can result in some things not working if either that’s the expected outcome of the setting or the manufacturer software vendor didn’t follow software QA processes.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I tend to stay away from long posters, but can’t help myself here. The tuner that we all use is nothing more than a toggle switcher within your vehicles software. Those toggles are there to enable or disable features depending on locale of the intended distribution. These toggle switches, or settings, drive functions and are not Hard software changes. So voiding Warranty on your back up camera because its supposedly fragile is Not something that I would take as a valid excuse from my dealer. I am willing to bet money on the fact that the OPs issue with the camera is unrelated. one way to check is set the settings back to stock.

coding - toggling of switches to enable/disable functions (this is what off the shelf programing modules do)

programming - updating software with either custom or proprietary code

the latter can cause a slew of unexpected behavior Especially if you attempting to write your own modification. The former can result in some things not working if either that’s the expected outcome of the setting or the manufacturer software vendor didn’t follow software QA processes.
Will say it again - perhaps I will search to find it - this is not the first time changing settings caused something else to "act up".
I know how this stuff works. I've programmed computers, vbscript, and evenb designed circuits (made a voltage regulator circuit to be potted into aluminum vintage regulator housings)
It should not void a warranty - that we've all pretty much agreed on, but this is not the first person to has gone "holy crap, now this has disappeared".
Whether by accident or something else, something is happening to make other changes. I guess I have to prove it with a search and show the other posts on this.
Voiding warranty, no, but others have had "accidental changes" take place.
Will the dealership fix it? If it's a warranty issue - defect, whatever, they have to. If it's a USER mistake, then it's up to them how to handle it.
This person is not the first, likely won't be the last to see this sort of thing happen, typically it's an accident while flipping through and making choices.
But then - we know for a fact bluetooth connections can be goofy, too. I've dealt with that for years as an IT professional. |
IF you were here I could demonstrate that very easily - any time I wish I can duplicate bluetooth weirdness.

Usbuilt

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired
This brings up a concern of mine. I want to get a Tazer but I am concerned about it affecting/voiding the warranty.
If a Tazer is unmarried and removed is there any way a dealership can tell that it was previously installed?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This brings up a concern of mine. I want to get a Tazer but I am concerned about it affecting/voiding the warranty.
If a Tazer is unmarried and removed is there any way a dealership can tell that it was previously installed?
No.

rubi14

First Name
frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ-7 Laredo, 1982 CJ-7 "The Texan", 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
shop owner
I would try and bring back to stock as soon as possible. If you have to get a hold of the device manufacturer to see how to do it, do it. Be as nice as you can to service advisor, contact service manager and do the same. If you haven't been a dick to those people they will almost assuredly not flag the vehcle. Then you can try another dealer. If it gets flagged you will need to disclose to dealer you trade it to, or person you sell it to, to avaid the chance of being sued for non disclosure. If you were nice to folks at dealer you will be fine. When you aren't they will make a point to win by trying to screw you... sometimes. Good Luck!

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The dealership in Ankeny actually sells those so you can adjust for tire sizes. Their accessories department sells them and Mopar lifts and bumpers and wheels and tires. Unlikely they'd sell something that voids warranty.

OP
OP
Canadian GP

Canadian GP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Canadian Postie.
Denied on Monday, paid for 1 hour service, returned to stock and removed the SC module.

Took it in to a different dealership on Tuesday, they checked it over and ordered a new camera, no mention of any warranty issue.

Jumped in the truck today and the camera was working again. Still took it in to swap out the camera and still no warranty issues.

A hard lesson is a lesson well earned.

Thanks to everyone for their honest comments about my stupidity.

Anyone want to buy a Flash Cal for their JT? LOL

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Denied on Monday, paid for 1 hour service, returned to stock and removed the SC module.

Took it in to a different dealership on Tuesday, they checked it over and ordered a new camera, no mention of any warranty issue.

Jumped in the truck today and the camera was working again. Still took it in to swap out the camera and still no warranty issues.

There's another thread here that says "disconnect" power to the radio - or do a reset and then wait overnight. It seems that sometimes there's something that causes them to not work for a while after a reset or upgrade.
I also ran across ONE of the other threads I was mentioning earlier - the link is in the house, I'm in my shop now - but it's a case where someone was changing settings and made a change that made something else stop working. Had they gone in for repairs - well...... it was THEIR SETTING that caused it to stop working. Set it differently and all of a sudden it worked again. So, we want dealerships and Jeep to pay for an hour of labor only to find that issue was caused COMPLETELY by the guy making the changes? Really?
They figured it out here on the forum so it never went to a dealer - but it could have gone the other way - the guy could have taken it in and told the dealer that it simply stopped working, they may have
One thing on these radio/nav units - they aren't plentiful and you get reman when they get replaced, NOT new. And at times people have to wait 2 weeks for the 8.4 version
You were really lucky they had something and did it so quickly.
These radios are a replace and return to be remanufactured. So now you almost certainly have a reman unit at least if it's the 8.4
I found that out first-hand.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)

We’re all here to help each other. Glad your getting it taken care of.
I had a similar situation with my Tazer mini and both lockers, they were stuck on in the streets. parked the truck, unmarried it. Started the truck, everything back to normal.

Just remember warranty work that involves dealer, flash to stock or remove programmer.
Also should be first troubleshooting step if electronics start acting funny to rule out the tune or device.

OP
OP
Canadian GP

Canadian GP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Canadian Postie.
These radios are a replace and return to be remanufactured. So now you almost certainly have a reman unit at least if it's the 8.4
I found that out first-hand.
They only replaced the rear camera, not the head unit.
Sponsored