Am I the only dummy....

Bull Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sea-cups.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave Sting Grey. 2018 Audi S5
Granted I am still getting acclimated with my new baby and its quirks. That said, am I the only dummy who does this...hop in and start moving forward or backward and the damn thing lurches to a halt. Then I spend a few panicked seconds trying to figure out what happened. Did I hit something? Did the transmission seize? Ah I messed up on the clutch just like when I was 16. Uh no that can't be it cause its an automatic. Ha. Then I realize the dern door isn't all the way shut and the vehicle goes into some sort of abort mode. Wth. Never had that before. Plus I am used to doors on other my other vehicles that almost shut themselves. For the Jeep you have to really shut it like you mean it. Not a fan of this feature. Can it be turned off
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Granted I am still getting acclimated with my new baby and its quirks. That said, am I the only dummy who does this...hop in and start moving forward or backward and the damn thing lurches to a halt. Then I spend a few panicked seconds trying to figure out what happened. Did I hit something? Did the transmission seize? Ah I messed up on the clutch just like when I was 16. Uh no that can't be it cause its an automatic. Ha. Then I realize the dern door isn't all the way shut and the vehicle goes into some sort of abort mode. Wth. Never had that before. Plus I am used to doors on other my other vehicles that almost shut themselves. For the Jeep you have to really shut it like you mean it. Not a fan of this feature. Can it be turned off
Yep, it's a safety feature that can't be turned off, just buckle your seat belt and your good or buy a seat belt extender. I thought wearing your seat belt was the law in every state

OP
OP

Bull Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sea-cups.com
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys. Other vehicles just squawk at you that your door is "ajar". You can drive all the way to mexico like that if you want. Meanwhile Jeep throws you through the windshield to remind you to be safe. And yes makes you spill your beer. Whats even more bizarre is this is the only vehicle you can drive with the doors off yet it freaks out if the door is partially closed. What da helllll

Sponsored

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Get a set of these. I add them to every vehicle I own. They satisfy all the nanny features and allow me to wear my belt easily when it’s prudent and also to not when I don’t need it. Be sure to get the seatbelt pro brand. There are others but they have thin metal that I wouldn’t trust. Amazon fir about $20 a pair.

A9C05460-5703-42DA-9330-0AE5E63DFCEE.jpeg

09F8B439-045E-4978-AEA5-E98780911B7F.jpeg

OP
OP

Bull Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sea-cups.com
Vehicle(s)
Get a set of these. I add them to every vehicle I own. They satisfy all the nanny features and allow me to wear my belt easily when it’s prudent and also to not when I don’t need it. Be sure to get the seatbelt pro brand. There are others but they have thin metal that I wouldn’t trust. Amazon fir about $20 a pair.

Jeep Gladiator Am I the only dummy.... 09F8B439-045E-4978-AEA5-E98780911B7F

Jeep Gladiator Am I the only dummy.... 09F8B439-045E-4978-AEA5-E98780911B7F
very cool. Thanks !

Bulldog10

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland Sarge Green Diesel
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Pilot, FAA ATC, Retired Gentleman Farmer Trying to Survive Divorce!
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks guys. Other vehicles just squawk at you that your door is "ajar". You can drive all the way to mexico like that if you want. Meanwhile Jeep throws you through the windshield to remind you to be safe. And yes makes you spill your beer. Whats even more bizarre is this is the only vehicle you can drive with the doors off yet it freaks out if the door is partially closed. What da helllll
That's what Ya get when you Let Italians design a 4WD for safety!!

mr_bots

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Just one of the carryovers after the "monostable" shifter from other models that had fewer detents in than positions and returned to the center when you let go was a disaster. After an actor was killed when his Grand Cherokee rolled back and crushed him against a gate because it wasn't in park they recalled them and programed them to do this, now they've just added it to all models with electronic shifters. Others with cable operated shifters with electronic parking brakes will set the brakes. It's pretty industry standard with other makers doing it as well.

Sponsored

CaptNkllm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
HAAA If it makes you feel better my daughter did the same thing lol... She calls me and says Dad the truck wont move and something flashing on the dash... First question.. Is the door shut? Oh she says and I Got It never mind lol... I had learned from another so I knew what to do. These new cars do have their quirks.

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Scared the $hit out of me the first time I backed into the garage. On previous Jeeps I would open the door and look back at a spot on the floor to hit with the back tire.
I have had to re-train myself to back in using a cat ball toy hanging from the garage ceiling. When it hits the back window, I'm in!

OP
OP

Bull Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sea-cups.com
Vehicle(s)
HAAA If it makes you feel better my daughter did the same thing lol... She calls me and says Dad the truck wont move and something flashing on the dash... First question.. Is the door shut? Oh she says and I Got It never mind lol... I had learned from another so I knew what to do. These new cars do have their quirks.
Ha. Funny thing is I was thinking the same thing if I let my 16 year old son drive it. Make sure you shut the door kid!