First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Songwriter/Producer
Hey I am pretty new to lighting/wiring. Last night I installed 2 Rugged Ridge LED cubes on my hood. They work great, I ran power off the battery and ran the switch into my cabin, simple. But I had initially hoped to keep them switched to amber and have them always on when the jeep is on, and turn off when the jeep turns off. Obviously that’s more complicated than just running them to the battery… FYI I do NOT have the jeep factory AUX switches. any way this can be easily achieved? thanks

F088C1F5-A4EC-4933-ABB9-424C7D62ABAC.jpeg

CEB71F7E-6A7B-4B57-B4F0-25D35D5CB6BF.jpeg
Sponsored

Slawski

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator R
Occupation
Car
Off the bat if you plan to add any more auxiliary lighting and or electrically powered mods (more than 3 or 4) I’d suggest a switch pro or an s-pod. Just to make the rest of your life easier.

But if not the simple solution is to run an add-a-fuse from a fuse that’s only powered when the ignition is on, to a relay that you would have to splice into the harness that you are currently running from the battery.

Slawski

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator R
Occupation
Car
I tried making a wiring diagram on my phone but I don’t think that’s gonna work all too well. I’ll make one when I get home if you’d like. Did these lights come with a relay routed from the switch in between the battery terminals and the lights?

OP
OP
PaulRubi

PaulRubi

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Songwriter/Producer
I tried making a wiring diagram on my phone but I don’t think that’s gonna work all too well. I’ll make one when I get home if you’d like. Did these lights come with a relay routed from the switch in between the battery terminals and the lights?
very helpful checking out those options now..
I do not believe there is a relay currently. The wiring had 2 cables that went to each respective light, 1 cable to the battery, and they all ended at the switch.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
First off, those are Rough Country, not Rugged Ridge.

Secondly, they don't offer any wiring information on their website and the pictures don't show details of the wiring harness.

Found a couple of install videos, no help there.

So, you need to determine which wire from the relay to the switch operates the DRL amber backlight. Once you have, you need to remove JUST that wire from the switch and get it back into the engine bay. You are going to need a MICR02 add-a-circuit tap and place it in F52 (Cigar Lighter) in the fuse box, then attach the DRL wire to the crimp connector.
This will turn your DRL's on when ignition is on.

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Scratch that. You don't have a relay, you have no way of turning off the DRL when the main lights are switched on. Most of those advise to NOT run both sets of lights at same time as they'll overheat.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Hey I am pretty new to lighting/wiring. Last night I installed 2 Rugged Ridge LED cubes on my hood. They work great, I ran power off the battery and ran the switch into my cabin, simple. But I had initially hoped to keep them switched to amber and have them always on when the jeep is on, and turn off when the jeep turns off. Obviously that’s more complicated than just running them to the battery… FYI I do NOT have the jeep factory AUX switches. any way this can be easily achieved? thanks

Jeep Gladiator Amber LED pod DRL wiring CEB71F7E-6A7B-4B57-B4F0-25D35D5CB6BF

Jeep Gladiator Amber LED pod DRL wiring CEB71F7E-6A7B-4B57-B4F0-25D35D5CB6BF
As already mentioned a switch pro or s pod or similar is the better way to go. Relays get clunky and take up a lot of space quickly. That being said, if you don't plan on much more in the future one way to do this on the cheap is have a normally opened relay that closes when powered hooked into either your headlights or brights or some other 12v source depending on how you want it powered. That way the on/off switch you have is only able to activate the lights when that other relay closes. Thats the old school way of going about it before the fancy switch pro. By the way I am trying to get my switch pro installed this weekend. it is worth the money IMO and better than s pod.

Slawski

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator R
Occupation
Car
By the way I am trying to get my switch pro installed this weekend. it is worth the money IMO and better than s pod.

I’ve got a switch pro and wouldn’t choose anything else. Tons of programmability on the app. It takes a while to initially set up but once you’ve got it in every other wiring job takes <20min.
side note: with it you can strobe your auxiliary backup lights on tailgaters.

Brojave22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
ATC
Not sure if this would help, but they tap into the drl lights link
Sponsored