First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 1997 Land Rover Defender, 2018 Q7 Audi
Occupation
Reitired
I have a decided to install a Anderson system for my 16' Caravel (2021). Seems like the best unit for my light weight Caravel (4,300 Max GVW & 500+ hitch weight)

Towing with a 2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland. (Max GVW 5,800 lbs) Actual weight on Cat Scales 4,800 lbs, no drivers, cargo but with full tank of fuel. So only a 1,000 lbs for people, cargo, actual hitch weight and tung weight. Anderson's weight is 60 lbs instead of 100+ lbs for other systems.

QUESTION: I also have Firestone Air Bags inside the rear coil springs. Helps with the stability of the Gladiator Overland with rather weak/soft rear coil springs.

Other hitches suggest in the install of the hitch, when having air bags, is to just set a 5-10 lbs while installing and setting up the system. Than after that is done raise the pressure on the air bags to around 20-30 lbs. Enough to still have them steady the load, but not enough to transfer any weight to the front wheels.

Thanks to any who might have an opinion on Air Bags and the Anderson Tow system.

Bob
Sponsored

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
Bob I went through similar research as we've been towing our camper with my wife's Nissan Pathfinder. The rear had a good 1.5" of squat with the tongue weight and I knew I needed to do something.

I researched airbags vs WDH and landed on the Andersen WDH with the 8" drop/rise. I found a dealer about 35 miles from my house that had one in stock so I paid for it over the phone and picked it up a week later.

The owner of the trailer shop absolutely raved about the Andersen WDH and said he has one on every trailer he tows.

In my research, the airbags do little to move the weight back to the front axle which is where all your steering and most of your braking occur.

I've never used a WDH before but let me tell you, it's pretty dang cool to watch the tow vehicle level out when you tighten those chains!

Scratch

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Gator, 2019 JL Mojave Bikini, 2011 JK Sport
Bob how has your experience with the Anderson hitch been? I'm thinking about getting one for my trailer. It has almost the same specs as the one you mentioned.
I'll be pulling it with my JTR.
Thanks
Scratch (Bob)

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
I tow a 16' Bambi with my diesel ~4500lbs loaded.
Put in air bags, I know they do not transfer weight from the back of the truck - they just pick up the back. And given the % of trailer weight to truck weight a WDS is (IMO) absolutely necessary. The WDS actually transfers weight away from the hitch and makes a huge difference in stability when towing.
Do a web search "Weight Distribution Vs Air Bags to Level Your Load". Some experts say air bags can actually work against the WDS. There are some good videos too.
I bought a scale to check the hitch weight as 600lbs is the max, and thats not a lot.
Also try and not exceed the cargo capacity (mine is about 1200lbs).
Mine pulls great and is very stable.

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
Bob how has your experience with the Anderson hitch been? I'm thinking about getting one for my trailer. It has almost the same specs as the one you mentioned.
I'll be pulling it with my JTR.
Thanks
Scratch (Bob)
We use an Anderson WDH with our Rpod and love it. Very easy to set up and so much lighter than the standard system.

cougle

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2023 Gladiator Sport with max tow pkg. According to window sticker, it has Electronic Trailer Sway Control (and ESC, electronic stability control). I have a single axle, 4100 pound Jayco with an Andersen WDH. Some say that the ETSC and the WDH work against each other. I'd value forum's opinion about this.
Sponsored