Android Auto Communication Error 8

GeneLV

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
2020 Gladiator Rubicon with Uconnect 8.4 (Software version 20.04.19, Application Version USA-ASO-8.4-JR-34.2.0-20200123-J0M2)

Just switched back from Apple to Android and Android Auto on my phone is giving me a red screen on my new Pixel 6a with communication error 8. My head unit says "There was a connection error with your Android Auto device." I've tried the following possible fixes found online and in this forum:

1. Used multiple cables and usb ports in the Gladiator

2. Different phones. My co-workers Galaxy S22 gets the same error.

3. Changing time setting from syncing with GPS to not syncing. Setting time manually.

4. Fuse pull, 97 and 11. Left out for 20 minutes.

5. Updating AA and Google Play services on phone.

6. Checked Uconnect site for update based on VIN, no updates available. Based on the software version numbers it seems hard to believe that there have been no updates in 2.5 years.

7. Tested Pixel 6a in wife's Vette and AA works fine.

Nothing seems to work. I'm over 44k miles so it is out of factory warranty.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Order a map update. It will get you the latest version of the Uconnect software.

The USB components (hub, cabling) that attach to the head unit may need replaced. Check for loose connections, may require opening the dash.

Try a full system reboot. Fully Disconnect both batteries for about ten minutes.

OP
OP
GeneLV

GeneLV

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Order a map update. It will get you the latest version of the Uconnect software.

The USB components (hub, cabling) that attach to the head unit may need replaced. Check for loose connections, may require opening the dash.

Try a full system reboot. Fully Disconnect both batteries for about ten minutes.
Thanks Bill. I'll try disconnecting the batteries. The system works perfect with an iPhone which uses the same USB connections so I assume those are ok. Might end up taking it to the dealer and forking out some cash or getting the Stinger setup.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Bill. I'll try disconnecting the batteries. The system works perfect with an iPhone which uses the same USB connections so I assume those are ok. Might end up taking it to the dealer and forking out some cash or getting the Stinger setup.
Since the USB components seem okay, I would order a map update to get the latest Uconnect software. If that doesn't work, then try the dealer or a new head unit.