First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Sport
Occupation
Veteran, Retired Correctional Stationary Engineer
Pulled into Safeway parking lot there's a slight bump at the entrance from the street, after the bump I got about 50 feet and my JT lost power, dash started going crazy and auto park kicked in and brought me to a clicking stop. Smoke started coming out from under the hood.

I have had experience before with the auto park engaging when a door is open so I get out and noticed my rear driver side door was ajar. I closed it and then opened the hood to see what the hell was smoking.

The smoke was gone, but there was obviously a burning smell under the hood, but I didn't see anything. Dash was still going crazy, service power steering, oil change needed, etc., and the windshield wipers came on.

I got my socket set out and disconnected all of the main battery terminal cables but everything was still acting crazy. After about 10 minutes it was all completely dead.

Disengaged the drivetrain and with some help got it pushed out of the way.

Called a tow truck, and now it sits at the dealer waiting for them to look at it.

I do have a Tazer installed, but with no power available I couldn't unmarry it. So I just unplugged it, and put the plugs back into the security module.

Really sucks.
Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Sounds like an electrical short. Something came loose, grounded and shorted, and gave up the ghost. When you disconnected the main the aux was still probably drawing down to dead. Really sounds like a short.

OP
OP
DublF

DublF

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sounds like an electrical short. Something came loose, grounded and shorted, and gave up the ghost. When you disconnected the main the aux was still probably drawing down to dead. Really sounds like a short.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Sponsored

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
Curious: how many miles on it?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
^^^^^^^^^^^

what he said.
you pulled the cables off the main battery but - the aux battery was still connected because you didn't take apart the two black ground cables.
Probably fried it.
There's big fuses that should have blown - for everything except the N1 which the aux battery connects to.

Just makes me think about reliability. I go way out. If it breaks I’m kinda screwed. I do have survival supplies and an inReach, so there’s that.
Everything can break or burn - the only way to know for sure is stay home, but then houses have shorts and burn, too.
The number of vehicle fires my wife and I have seen along the interstates here is amazing. One day we saw two burning along the shoulders - one on I35 north, the other on I80. A ford pickup and couldn't tell what the other car was.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DublF

DublF

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
^^^^^^^^^^^

what he said.
you pulled the cables off the main battery but - the aux battery was still connected because you didn't take apart the two black ground cables.
Probably fried it.
There's big fuses that should have blown - for everything except the N1 which the aux battery connects to.
Yeah, I figured something had to have shorted. It was kind of hectic because I was right in front of the store during the evening rush. Lot's of cars were trying to navigate around me until some guys helped me move. But by then both batteries were completely drained.

I did order a Z case high amp fuse array just to have one on hand. (68368854AA)

Dealer probably won't get to look at it until next week.

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm ... any recent aftermarket installs. Don't ghost us on this one ... let us know what they find.

OP
OP
DublF

DublF

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hmmm ... any recent aftermarket installs. Don't ghost us on this one ... let us know what they find.
No recent mods.

I will update what the dealer finds.

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Just makes me think about reliability. I go way out. If it breaks I’m kinda screwed. I do have survival supplies and an inReach, so there’s that.
I've traveled through the boondocks in rickety beaters and had no issues. Routine maintenance and checking grounds, bolts and hoses is on my routine maintenance list.

Volt0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM,JTHA
Am interested on this as well.

honestly, I’m not a fan of the auto-park bug/feature. I may have to look around on the forums and see if there is a way to delete that nonsense. No way do I want some electronic gizmo to slam my tranny into park while moving… that just seems like a good way to take 1 mechanical defect and turn it into some way-worse mechanical defect.
Sponsored