Sponsored

Another payload/towing question

LongTimeGone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Considering Jeep Gladiator
Wanting to build out an overloading rig. If I go with a Rubicon I'll be at max payload with all occupants and gear. I also plan on pulling a 3,500 lb trailer daily. is this "sensible," or is it too much to ask of the JT.
Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gladius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wanting to build out an overloading rig. If I go with a Rubicon I'll be at max payload with all occupants and gear. I also plan on pulling a 3,500 lb trailer daily. is this "sensible," or is it too much to ask of the JT.
Thanks
Where you're going to have an issue is with payload. The ZR2 I had had a max payload of 1180 lbs. When I loaded up everything including a 90 lb. winch, I took it to a CAT scale. I was over weight by 140 lbs. on the truck. Out went the winch and I shifted some stuff in the trailer to lessen tongue weight from 560 lbs. to 480 lbs. This trailer has a gross weight raiting of 4200 lbs. and the CAT scale had the trailer axle at 3700 lbs. when I weighed. I weighed the tongue weight of the trailer before hitching up. The ZR2 is rated for 5000 lbs. towing. I was 580 lbs. below GCWR. My Rubi has a payload max of 1225 lbs. so I've gained 65 lbs

So you can see that you may be well below the vehicles tow rating but it's easy to over load the tow vehicle. Look at the label on the drivers side door jam when you buy a truck. You may want a Sport with Max Tow instead of the Rubicon because of the payload difference.

DSCN0408b.jpg

hand written numbers on this ticket are the gross ratings for each axle except the last number is the ZR2's GCWR. The ZR2's GVWR is 6200 lbs.
20191021_185435.jpg

OP
OP

LongTimeGone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Considering Jeep Gladiator
Where you're going to have an issue is with payload. The ZR2 I had had a max payload of 1180 lbs. When I loaded up everything including a 90 lb. winch, I took it to a CAT scale. I was over weight by 140 lbs. on the truck. Out went the winch and I shifted some stuff in the trailer to lessen tongue weight from 560 lbs. to 480 lbs. This trailer has a gross weight raiting of 4200 lbs. and the CAT scale had the trailer axle at 3700 lbs. when I weighed. I weighed the tongue weight of the trailer before hitching up. The ZR2 is rated for 5000 lbs. towing. I was 580 lbs. below GCWR. My Rubi has a payload max of 1225 lbs. so I've gained 65 lbs

So you can see that you may be well below the vehicles tow rating but it's easy to over load the tow vehicle. Look at the label on the drivers side door jam when you buy a truck. You may want a Sport with Max Tow instead of the Rubicon because of the payload difference.

DSCN0408b.jpg

hand written numbers on this ticket are the gross ratings for each axle except the last number is the ZR2's GCWR. The ZR2's GVWR is 6200 lbs.
20191021_185435.jpg
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. We’ve been running the numbers, and we’ve come to the conclusion it will be best for us to run a second vehicle ( maybe a wrangler) to share the payload and to act as a recovery vehicle, instead of the trailer. The price difference isn’t too far off either… Thanks!

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Well of course it's not sensible because it's illegal. This is why I always recommend that people looking to haul/tow go with the Max Towing package. Without it, you lose a ton of utility.

Gladius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well of course it's not sensible because it's illegal. This is why I always recommend that people looking to haul/tow go with the Max Towing package. Without it, you lose a ton of utility.
The reason the Rubicon doesn't have a max tow option is because it already has most of what you get with that. The tow package option just gets the rest of it. My Rubicon has a tow rating of 7000 lbs.

Trailer-Tow Package
$350
  • 240-Amp Alternator
  • Class IV Receiver Hitch
  • Heavy-Duty Engine Cooling
  • Trailer Hitch Zoom

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Auto or manual?
That's the standard Rubicon rating with automatic and tow package.
Standard Overland with automatic and tow package is 6,000.

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
Auto or manual?
Tow rating goes down quite a bit with the manual. Rubicons go down to 4500 lbs and all other manual JTs are at 4000 lbs.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The reason the Rubicon doesn't have a max tow option is because it already has most of what you get with that. The tow package option just gets the rest of it. My Rubicon has a tow rating of 7000 lbs.

Trailer-Tow Package
$350
  • 240-Amp Alternator
  • Class IV Receiver Hitch
  • Heavy-Duty Engine Cooling
  • Trailer Hitch Zoom
It does, that is true. But I think the issue being addressed here is that he's wanting an overlanding rig. I.E., he wants to haul a lot with it. The Rubicon in any flavor has somewhere around 35% less payload capacity compared to Sport. That's huge when you need maximum capacity. And, since trailer tongue weight subtracts from payload (the two are directly related), this also means that Rubicon will have less real-world towing capacity than a Sport Max Tow, unless he's going overlanding all by himself and won't be payload-limited by hauling a family. It's a whole lot harder to legally get to Rubicon's max towing capacity than it is to legally get to Max Tow's towing capacity, all because of that payload number.

So, I think he could get the Sport Max Tow and be fine for what he's trying to do. But, if he'd rather pay insurance and gas on two vehicles to cure the issue, that's certainly an option too. :)

Gladius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It does, that is true. But I think the issue being addressed here is that he's wanting an overlanding rig. I.E., he wants to haul a lot with it. The Rubicon in any flavor has somewhere around 35% less payload capacity compared to Sport. That's huge when you need maximum capacity. And, since trailer tongue weight subtracts from payload (the two are directly related), this also means that Rubicon will have less real-world towing capacity than a Sport Max Tow, unless he's going overlanding all by himself and won't be payload-limited by hauling a family. It's a whole lot harder to legally get to Rubicon's max towing capacity than it is to legally get to Max Tow's towing capacity, all because of that payload number.

So, I think he could get the Sport Max Tow and be fine for what he's trying to do. But, if he'd rather pay insurance and gas on two vehicles to cure the issue, that's certainly an option too. :)
Yes, in my first reply I stated he may want to go with the Sport with Max Tow instead of the Rubicon because of the payload difference.

Gladius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)