Sponsored

Another Weekend and the EcoDiesel Gladiator is back in the shop...

Cobblecrazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
In my other post I talked about my loss of power issue that landed my in the shop with only 1300 or so miles on the clock. A few days later subsequent "charging system" error caused the check engine light to come on and a notification through the Mopar site (this one cleared itself with no detail in the system as to what happened). Now, at roughly 2400 miles, I'm again without the Gladiator as it sits waiting for parts at the Jeep dealership.

Daily driving with some excursions to the hiking/fishing trailheads have been the norm from the last issue until now. A couple nights ago I noticed a couple silver dollar sized spots on the driveway underneath the Gladiator, roughly in the area of the "front" of the fuel tank/fuel filter. I looked underneath, and I could see an oily coating all the way down the fuel tank protective plate and the cover protecting the fuel filter housing. I stuck my finger into the opening of the fuel filter cover, and, again, if felt an oily coating. I looked around the underside of the truck, but no other areas could be seen.

My first thought was the drain valve for getting water out had come open, and now it was down to just letting diesel out. I checked the valve, and it was tight. As I didn't have a 1 1/8" socket to check the fuel filter cover for tightness, but I removed the protective cover and inspected the fuel filter cover. I couldn't find a specific location it was leaking, but there was the same oily coating on the cover. My new suspicion was the inner O rings, or, again, the cover was not completely tight (I gave it a twist with my hand, but it didn't move). I wiped down the oily areas and I cleaned the cement under the truck.

The next morning I came out, and I saw no new droplets nor was there anything on the inner portion of the protective cover for the fuel filter. I completed a few errands around town with the truck to include picking up a 1 1/8" socket. When I returned home the truck sat for about 30 minutes before I could get back out to check it. No droplets on the ground, but I did notice a coating of fuel inside the fuel filter protective cover that had not been there earlier that morning. I removed the protective cover, and I used the socket to check the tightness of the actual fuel filter cover. It may have moved just slightly, but nothing that I would equate to be an issue (you never know). I was able to get in touch with the local Jeep dealer, and away I went to see if they could diagnose the issue.

When a tech finally got to the Gladiator, he determined there was fuel coming from somewhere around the top of the fuel filter cover. I was told it was possibly a crack or ?... Parts were ordered, but they won't be in until Tuesday. Once again I had to leave the dealership without my truck.

On the downside this seems to be yet another nock on the Jeep. We had a JK that experienced a series of electrical problems the dealer couldn't seem to cure, and a few replaced radiators due to an unexplained over heating issue. To say my wife was not happy about the return to the Jeep brand would be an understatement, and this is certainly not helping. On the upside, I'm hoping my original loss of power problem had to due with a crack or flaw in this fuel filter cover - allowing unwanted air into the system - and it simply failed enough that fuel started to leak out. A few days prior to noticing the leak, I had experienced a brief "spongy" feel in the accelerator coupled with a slight loss of power, but I had been going up a hill in 90 degree weather with the air conditioner on. The loss was only seconds long and I felt the turbo kick in and no other issues (no dash lights came on, or any other error messages like before). Don't know if the two are related, but they occurred within a short period of time to each other.

I know the Youtuber Casey250 had a similar loss of power issue, and in a recent posting he talked about waiting for the dealer to get a part, but I don't know if the two are related (I'm in the process of reaching out to him) Would be interested to hear if anyone else has had this issue.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Cobblecrazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I realized I never posted a follow-up to this. The fuel filter cover assembly was replaced, and the system tested by their techs with no issues. I'm at about 4000 miles now, and so far the prior issues seem to have been fixed. The mpg has remained 22-24 in the city with 27-28 on the highway. I've taken a 300 mile trip with my trailer which led us up into around 7500-8000 ft, and, again, no problems (believe me I was watching the gauges all the way). The temps have been in the 90's-low 100's so I'm running air conditioning just as before, and I've gone the same places multiple times that I had been before so I can attest to the fact things seem to be better now that the item has been replaced. I'm convinced all the issues I was having stemmed from the fuel filter cover - whether it was too much air, or fuel, being "seen" by the sensors who knows.

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport EcoDiesel
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase
Check your PCM.. I had weird random issues and CELs and my PCM was half unplugged from the factory... took my 10000 miles to figure it out.

my dog Trigger

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 rubicon gladiator Diesel
Occupation
construction
Vehicle Showcase
my jtrd died on the road with no warning lights flashing on the dash towed to shop on march 7 2022 still in shop as of 4/05/22 waiting for parts whole fuel system went out contaminated they are replacing every thing from tank to injectors they have not said what caused the problem

Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
my jtrd died on the road with no warning lights flashing on the dash towed to shop on march 7 2022 still in shop as of 4/05/22 waiting for parts whole fuel system went out contaminated they are replacing every thing from tank to injectors they have not said what caused the problem
More than likely the fuel pump catastrophically failed. Same thing happened to mine. About 45 days in the shop till parts were in and installed.

Jag

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel Rubicon
Occupation
retired
I was on my way back from FL on Monday and fueled up 250 miles from home in NC. Made it to the entrance ramp of I77 and it died. Tow to WV cost me $1900, I had my camper on the hitch. Dealer says he thinks it's gas in the fuel. Today it's the fuel pump. That pump is hard to find and no telling when it will be here. The pump may have contaminated the entire system.....

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
From what I have read. When the fuel pump in the diesel fails. It takes out a bunch of other things. About $8,000 worth of parts.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I was on my way back from FL on Monday and fueled up 250 miles from home in NC. Made it to the entrance ramp of I77 and it died. Tow to WV cost me $1900, I had my camper on the hitch. Dealer says he thinks it's gas in the fuel. Today it's the fuel pump. That pump is hard to find and no telling when it will be here. The pump may have contaminated the entire system.....
Camper on hitch, otherwise for 1900, I'd have driven down with my tilt bed trailer and hauled it for that.
Dang, that's an expensive haul otherwise.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver

my dog Trigger

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 rubicon gladiator Diesel
Occupation
construction
Vehicle Showcase
well hi everyone that might be still reading this its may 1 2022 the gladiator still in shop hope it works when I get it back

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
My high pressure pump imploded 2 weeks ago, in the shop, estimate 30 days for parts..... CP4 Is a SHITTY PUMP

Iowafarm

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon, Chevy Camaro SS, HD Wideglide
Occupation
Farmer
The big downside for tier 4 engines, all that compliance crap they put on them make those engines pretty finicky. Had a Ford diesel that rarely ran without some kind of light on the dash, even the Cummings engines in the semi love to throw code and use antifreeze like crazy. Apparently a gallon of antifreeze per 7000 miles is within specks. If the EPA was not so pissy lately I would have gone with the diesel and delete it, sadly those days are gone.
Sponsored