Sponsored

Any big brake kits for 17inch rims

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
What you running here ? I am looking at the wilwoods which were awesome on my mustang build. but somehow can’t figure out if they fit 17inch rims
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Teraflex has a kit for the JT, looks decent, not cheap.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Why a big brake kit? You going for the look? Unless you’re hot lapping your JT, it won’t do much of anything.
Would a big break kit not help with stoping power when adding much larger tires like 37's and up? Would it not help when adding a lot of extra weight like overloading gear and such?

I have thought about big break kits but it is way down on my list.

OP
OP
shrinkhead

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Why a big brake kit? You going for the look? Unless you’re hot lapping your JT, it won’t do much of anything.
looks mostly I guess; maybe better modulation so I don’t lock up as fast on steep slabs. certainly not a questions of cooling ha ha.

Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
With stock brakes and 35s, I can nail the pedal, hold it to the floor, and abs does it’s thing. If I let up and nail it again I can get lock up. Can’t get any more “stopped” than that.

An extra piston, larger caliper, larger rotor will only help dissipate heat.

jay21mojave

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator 2013 JKU Sport '09 Patriot
Occupation
Sales Acct Mgr - OEM Wholesale DLR Group
Just do a search for Big Brake Kits for Jeep JL... should be same as JT.. Many showed up in the $1,400+ range.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Just do a search for Big Brake Kits for Jeep JL... should be same as JT.. Many showed up in the $1,400+ range.
Maybe not the exact same.

unconfirmed, but I’ve read/heard brakes are different even amongst JT.

max tow/dieeel vs a sport, etc.

jay21mojave

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator 2013 JKU Sport '09 Patriot
Occupation
Sales Acct Mgr - OEM Wholesale DLR Group
Maybe not the exact same.

unconfirmed, but I’ve read/heard brakes are different even amongst JT.

max tow/dieeel vs a sport, etc.
A Check of MOPAR PNs finds that 2021 JT & JL share the same PNs for Fronts..Calipers and Rotors; did not check rear.. Also there are 2 different Caliper & Rotor numbers for each and different pricing.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
Would a big break kit not help with stoping power when adding much larger tires like 37's and up? Would it not help when adding a lot of extra weight like overloading gear and such?

I have thought about big break kits but it is way down on my list.
I have the same concern. Believe payload (I don't intend to tow during my overlanding) is based upon many factors and stopping power/distance is one of them...could a bigger brake system help in extended travels putting additional stressors on the brakes...I think so. My only concern is that if they fade/brake (pun intended)...how hard will it be to get repair parts/replace?

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I have been eyeing the Teraflex brake kit. Seems to be in a sweet spot for budget and performance. When you can generate speed with these things it would just feel more natural to be able to generate an equal braking capability. Wilwood and Alcoa have kits, but I am not funded at those levels lol!

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I have been eyeing the Teraflex brake kit. Seems to be in a sweet spot for budget and performance. When you can generate speed with these things it would just feel more natural to be able to generate an equal braking capability. Wilwood and Alcoa have kits, but I am not funded at those levels lol!
Teraflex is a pretty decent kit. Fitment is spot on, but you need longer brake lines for the rears (definitely if you're lifted 2-3" and you didn't already). The rotors don't have a slot for the retaining screw which is a bit annoying, but not the end of the world. The front dust shields won't clear unless you bend a portion of it or just remove them (which I did), the rears can't be removed and need to be cut/trimmed (bending won't fix the clearance issue).

Overall I'm happy, but still getting used to them. As best as I can tell, we have properly bled the system and there are no leaks, but initial press feels a bit softer. It's likely due to the increased travel from switching to 4 pistons all around. Once it bites, it bites - I haven't had an issue with stopping, you just have to adapt a little.

Planerdude

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
What you running here ? I am looking at the wilwoods which were awesome on my mustang build. but somehow can’t figure out if they fit 17inch rims
Baer Brakes has a template you can get to see if they will work. They have a set for the rear that fit 17” wheel but the front they recommend 18”. Hence the template. They also usually have a sale once a year around black friday.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had very good luck with these on previous Jeeps. We live in the mountains, so lots of high speed downhill steep grades. We also tow a lot. We’ve had rotors warp quickly, even when using engine breaking almost all the time. These eliminated the problem on two previous Jeeps. They have a kit for the gladiator. They’re on my list, but haven’t put them on a gladiator.

https://www.powerstop.com/product/power-stop-z36-brake-kit/

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Teraflex is a pretty decent kit. Fitment is spot on, but you need longer brake lines for the rears (definitely if you're lifted 2-3" and you didn't already). The rotors don't have a slot for the retaining screw which is a bit annoying, but not the end of the world. The front dust shields won't clear unless you bend a portion of it or just remove them (which I did), the rears can't be removed and need to be cut/trimmed (bending won't fix the clearance issue).

Overall I'm happy, but still getting used to them. As best as I can tell, we have properly bled the system and there are no leaks, but initial press feels a bit softer. It's likely due to the increased travel from switching to 4 pistons all around. Once it bites, it bites - I haven't had an issue with stopping, you just have to adapt a little.
Thanks for this review, it actually makes me pause a bot, as it sounds like the the brakes are over sized for the Master cylinder.
Sponsored