Sponsored

Any experience with Rightline Gear truck tent?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Page 33 of the new Quadratec catalog, Rightline Gear 4x4 Gladiator Truck Tent.
Tailgate down, tent has no floor, goes over bed and tailgate.
Any experience, how does it anchor, will it work with the MOPAR tonneau cover rolled up, etc.??
Sponsored

NCLife

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
Any experience, how does it anchor, will it work with the MOPAR tonneau cover rolled up, etc.??
I have one unopened in my garage! Not very helpful I know. I also have their inflatable mattress to go along with it. When I get around to using it (not August in the Carolinas) I’ll report back.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have one unopened in my garage! Not very helpful I know. I also have their inflatable mattress to go along with it. When I get around to using it (not August in the Carolinas) I’ll report back.
thanks, but I was wondering about ordering one - to skip a hotel come September 10th.

I note another brand that's similar - Napier Backroadz Truck Tent
It's got a floor which would mean emptying the truck to put it up, but the other would mean perhaps bugs get in between the tent walls and the truck sides?

I dunno - maybe just do a hotel again but I could get either one of these for a one night hotel stay - and then I'd own it for next time.

Since where I'd be is only about a quarter mile from the Mississippi - BUGS are a major concern at night.

Cavitt

First Name
Cavitt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR; 1998 Mercedes SL600
I have one for my now departed 2019 F350. I bought it for an overnight on the White Rim trial in Canyonlands NP. In the larger bed of the F350 it worked great. I had a Bed Rug so the interior was nice and I didn't miss the lack of a cover in the bed (it's only the top and sides). I threw a queen air mattress in the bed and it was perfect. I'm not sure how it will work with the limited bed space in the Gladiator, but the concept works (and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a RTT right now).

Hope that helps.

JMJ52876

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Occupation
Medical Biller/Collection
I have been looking into this tent also. There are several YouTube videos showing how it sets up on a Gladiator. Quadratec has a real informative one.
I was also looking into their SUV tent. I saw on FB where a guy used both the bed and SUV tent. It was cool. They tied together seamlessly. I thought with this setup you could sleep in the bed and keep your stuff in the big tent. Also have a private place to get dressed.

https://rightlinegear.com/truck-tents/suv-tent/

Sponsored

JMJ52876

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Occupation
Medical Biller/Collection
Just found an example of what I was talking about
Jeep Gladiator Any experience with Rightline Gear truck tent? 1629755901648

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's an interesting getup.
I'm just looking for a 1 or 2 night thing, sleeping only - one person (me) to save hotel, convenience, etc. Likely use once or twice a year. I have a small tent I've been using, maybe once a year, but you can't always count on dry or even ground, etc. and my back just doesn't like the cold hard bumpy ground or un-evenness.
I showed my wife and she said "so you could save 150-200 a night with one of those? Yeah.
It would be strictly for car shows, swap meets, etc. I'd tow my car, and haul parts in the back of the truck. So it would be inconvenient in that respect - have to get all of the car parts out of the truck to set it up and put them back in again - but I've done worse.

The more I look at things like this - the more I wish I had a BED RUG, though!!!!

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold JLU Sport S for JTM, JL Willys Sport
I have the Rightline, but have not camped with it yet. I did set it up.

I bought it because 1) no floor and 2) more orange for my Mojave.

I prefer cots over air mattresses. The cot barely fits with the tailgate down, but I can close it up. I may try out one of my air mattresses and re-evaluate my plan.

I read some reviews about the material being pretty thin and people ripping it while setting it up. You just have to be careful and take your time is what some said. Sets up pretty easily.

Jeep Gladiator Any experience with Rightline Gear truck tent? 20210601_185117

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Rightline, but have not camped with it yet. I did set it up.

I bought it because 1) no floor and 2) more orange for my Mojave.

I prefer cots over air mattresses. The cot barely fits with the tailgate down, but I can close it up. I may try out one of my air mattresses and re-evaluate my plan.

I read some reviews about the material being pretty thin and people ripping it while setting it up. You just have to be careful and take your time is what some said. Sets up pretty easily.

Jeep Gladiator Any experience with Rightline Gear truck tent? 20210601_185117
I did watch the Quadratec video which I thought was pretty good. Didn't touch on some things I was wondering about.......... but showed how easy the setup was.
My wonderings are -
Will it work with the Jee/MOPAR roll-up tonneau cover - rolled up of course, but still on the truck, and
how does it seal between tent and truck. BUGS, wind driven rain getting in or wind getting between tent and box sides. More thinking of BUGS as I'd be close to the Mississippi and I tried once to sleep in my truck with the windows open a bit and was eaten alive.
Cot is a good idea I'd not considered!
Thanks for the pic - and do you have the tail lights that stick out a bit - with the safety features where they don't fit flush? Someone out there said the tent didn't fit over those - but I can't see why not.

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold JLU Sport S for JTM, JL Willys Sport
I did watch the Quadratec video which I thought was pretty good. Didn't touch on some things I was wondering about.......... but showed how easy the setup was.
My wonderings are -
Will it work with the Jee/MOPAR roll-up tonneau cover - rolled up of course, but still on the truck, and
how does it seal between tent and truck. BUGS, wind driven rain getting in or wind getting between tent and box sides. More thinking of BUGS as I'd be close to the Mississippi and I tried once to sleep in my truck with the windows open a bit and was eaten alive.
Cot is a good idea I'd not considered!
Thanks for the pic - and do you have the tail lights that stick out a bit - with the safety features where they don't fit flush? Someone out there said the tent didn't fit over those - but I can't see why not.
I knew I was forgetting something. Yes, it works with the MOPAR soft roll-up tonneau. I don't see many bugs getting in, but I have to put it to test. I think it's a tight enough fit to prevent most bugs. Not sure how it will handle in wind.

I don't have any safety features, but tail lights do stick out a little bit. Seems like it would fit, but no way to confirm. I wasn't thinking about that since I don't have the features.

Sponsored

darksidedesign

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave in Gator
Occupation
Graphic Designer / Illustrator
I have this tent and have used it many times.
Jeep Gladiator Any experience with Rightline Gear truck tent? 2A1BADEB-01B3-404E-8A3B-81AE6435C1D1

It fits well. The biggest trick is to not overtighten the straps. That’s where people have issues. Usually the door won’t zip closed because they have it stretched too tight. The larger tail lights do contribute to that issue. There are flaps that go along the bed rails that help keep the critters out. Id suggest a twin size air mattress. That works great (fits between the wheel wells). Eventually I’d like to get the AirBedz air mattress that is meant to fit in the bed of the JT. But it’s more expensive than the tent.

After my first use, my only complaint was not having a place to stand up to get dressed in the morning. So, I picked up the SUV tent and I have used it exactly as shown above. Talk about SLICK!
Jeep Gladiator Any experience with Rightline Gear truck tent? 7B15E6A5-3BFE-4C5B-9A78-33DCA0BFE3E9

Jeep Gladiator Any experience with Rightline Gear truck tent? 34ADDDCF-65DC-4DB9-9010-632B91CD8909

Note: they do NOT zip together. The dark gray sleeve you see is meant to go over the tailgate of an SUV. I just slide it over the bed tent. They weren’t really designed to go together, but it does work.

The last time I used the two together, I left the bed tent set up, just unhooked it from the truck and tossed it inside the ground tent. That way I could leave it mostly set up and use the truck. Then I backed up to the tent and reattached it. Pretty simple!

I have a Tyger trifold soft tonneau. I take it off when I use the tent because it’s easy to remove. I imagine the Mopar one would still work. Might stretch the tent a little tighter though.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
thanks, but I was wondering about ordering one - to skip a hotel come September 10th.

I note another brand that's similar - Napier Backroadz Truck Tent
It's got a floor which would mean emptying the truck to put it up, but the other would mean perhaps bugs get in between the tent walls and the truck sides?

I dunno - maybe just do a hotel again but I could get either one of these for a one night hotel stay - and then I'd own it for next time.

Since where I'd be is only about a quarter mile from the Mississippi - BUGS are a major concern at night.
You can cut the floor out of these, it's not structural to the tent. Last I knew they were out of the small ones, but someone bought a short wide one and said it fit. https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/hell-of-a-deal-on-a-truck-tent-25.43283/post-697693

darksidedesign

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave in Gator
Occupation
Graphic Designer / Illustrator
What did you decide to do? Did you pick one of these bed tents up? Curious to hear what you ended up doing.

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
I have this tent and have used it many times.
Jeep Gladiator Any experience with Rightline Gear truck tent? 34ADDDCF-65DC-4DB9-9010-632B91CD8909

It fits well. The biggest trick is to not overtighten the straps. That’s where people have issues. Usually the door won’t zip closed because they have it stretched too tight. The larger tail lights do contribute to that issue. There are flaps that go along the bed rails that help keep the critters out. Id suggest a twin size air mattress. That works great (fits between the wheel wells). Eventually I’d like to get the AirBedz air mattress that is meant to fit in the bed of the JT. But it’s more expensive than the tent.

After my first use, my only complaint was not having a place to stand up to get dressed in the morning. So, I picked up the SUV tent and I have used it exactly as shown above. Talk about SLICK!

Note: they do NOT zip together. The dark gray sleeve you see is meant to go over the tailgate of an SUV. I just slide it over the bed tent. They weren’t really designed to go together, but it does work.

The last time I used the two together, I left the bed tent set up, just unhooked it from the truck and tossed it inside the ground tent. That way I could leave it mostly set up and use the truck. Then I backed up to the tent and reattached it. Pretty simple!

I have a Tyger trifold soft tonneau. I take it off when I use the tent because it’s easy to remove. I imagine the Mopar one would still work. Might stretch the tent a little tighter though.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Hmmm, this setup is something ive been researching. Im curious if this setup can be fitted to a softopper using zipperes if custom alterations are made to the tent. My dad was a mastor tailor so i may seek his expertise. Im sure it can be done. I will post pictures if i pursue this option. I am not a fan of a RRT so if i can get this to work it would be perfect. I have the ovs 270 awning with all the 3 walls which encloses a huge space for cots to sleep on. Idc about bugs and wildlife, we are just visitors in their realm when we camp lol. But i dont think its a viable option on really windy days or nights.

Forum Crawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Working for the man every night and day
Great for beginners.

But. Everyone I know that had one ended up going another route pretty quickly.

Why, beside the thin material (not a true 3 season tent), everyone HATES the yard sale effect. Everything in the bed has to come out. Pain in the ass to set up and take down because of that yard sale factor.

I’d save my money. Lots of better options.
Sponsored