• Total voters

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Just curious...if somebody made cams for the 3.6 that picked up about 25hp/30tq, but more importantly, moved the powerband down - would there be much interest if the price was around $1500?
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have noticed that the 3.6L seems to have virtually no mid-range HP & TQ. It has minimal in the low-end, and decent in the upper RPM's. I would like to see a downward shift in the RPM range performance for them, but still maintain the top-end as well, as I do a lot of highway driving in the 75-85 MPH range.

I think it could actually be worth building if someone made cams for them.

OP
OP

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, its u fortunate that they stuck a passenger car ingine in the Jeep, but thats what happens when bean counters rule the world....

There is definitely more power to be had, or more importanlly, in the correct space of the rpm scale.
The powerband could come down by 2000 rpm, and I think the Jeep would be much better to drive and get better fuel mileage.

im surprised that nobody has made cams yet..

I have noticed that the 3.6L seems to have virtually no mid-range HP & TQ. It has minimal in the low-end, and decent in the upper RPM's. I would like to see a downward shift in the RPM range performance for them, but still maintain the top-end as well, as I do a lot of highway driving in the 75-85 MPH range.

I think it could actually be worth building if someone made cams for them.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I would love to see a cam for adding a turbo to the 3.6L... I think that would be the way to go, honestly. With a cam designed for putting out more power at lower to mid RPM's, the turbo would spool and reach boost quicker, therefore wouldn't require high RPM's to build boost.

Personally, I'm a huge turbo fan...Not so much superchargers. Turbo's are free power, superchargers are parasitic and engine RPM-limited.

Reactions: d k
OP
OP

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
True, to a point, but many other things to consider....

for a turbo cam, its much closer to a stock cam believe it or not.

with a turbo, you have many other issues like heat and heat soak particularly if youre going really slow.

I would think a positive displaceme t supercharger would be a way to go. Maybe super low boost so you can get away without an intercooler?
I think it would be a nice option to spend a 1/3 of a supercharger kit to pick up 30 or so hp, specially if its in the right place.

I know a few people who could make cams, but its a fairly big undertaking and I would like to gauge interest first.

I would love to see a cam for adding a turbo to the 3.6L... I think that would be the way to go, honestly. With a cam designed for putting out more power at lower to mid RPM's, the turbo would spool and reach boost quicker, therefore wouldn't require high RPM's to build boost.

Personally, I'm a huge turbo fan...Not so much superchargers. Turbo's are free power, superchargers are parasitic and engine RPM-limited.

Sponsored

mr_bots

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I'd imagine the three lobes for each cylinder on the intake cams would make this rather difficult. The OG Pentastar already made 90% of their torque from 1800rpm and the upgrade supposedly improved that. Outisde of forced induction there's only so much you can get out of 3.6L.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious...if somebody made cams for the 3.6 that picked up about 25hp/30tq, but more importantly, moved the powerband down - would there be much interest if the price was around $1500?
The engine has been around for a while. I would think that this would have already been done by now, if it was financially feasible.

OP
OP

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
developing a set of cams is around 30-50k.
Just dependes whether or not there is interest?

Imsure the JK guys would be happy.

The engine has been around for a while. I would think that this would have already been done by now, if it was financially feasible.

mr_bots

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
The JL/JT (amongst other models starting in 2016) have an upgraded 3.6 with a completely different cam setup. The intake cams are tri-lobe (three lobes per cylinder). Two small outer lobes set up for one lift, duration, and centerline and an inner lobe set up for another lift, duration, and centerline.
developing a set of cams is around 30-50k.
Just dependes whether or not there is interest?

Imsure the JK guys would be happy.
Cams for the JK won't work on the JL/JT

OP
OP

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
good to know.
I noticed the hp and tq numbers were the same, so I figured it was the same engine.

kind of like vtec from Honda.
still, that shouldnt make new cams that much harder to make.
if we could find blanks for that engine, it would make it much easier to tweak the cam numbers a little bit.

are the cam gears ‘keyed’ to the cam?

The JL/JT (amongst other models starting in 2016) have an upgraded 3.6 with a completely different cam setup. The intake cams are tri-lobe (three lobes per cylinder). Two small outer lobes set up for one lift, duration, and centerline and an inner lobe set up for another lift, duration, and centerline.

Cams for the JK won't work on the JL/JT

Sponsored

mr_bots

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
good to know.
I noticed the hp and tq numbers were the same, so I figured it was the same engine.

kind of like vtec from Honda.
still, that shouldnt make new cams that much harder to make.
if we could find blanks for that engine, it would make it much easier to tweak the cam numbers a little bit.

are the cam gears ‘keyed’ to the cam?
With low confidence, I believe the cam gear is integral to the phaser and the phaser in unkeyed and has one large bolt that attaches to the cam.

OP
OP

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Interesting...

its probably an interference fit like a lot of the fords are...
Need to find a shop manual to know for sure.
However, that opens up another school of thought

With low confidence, I believe the cam gear is integral to the phaser and the phaser in unkeyed and has one large bolt that attaches to the cam.

mr_bots

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Interesting...

its probably an interference fit like a lot of the fords are...
Need to find a shop manual to know for sure.
However, that opens up another school of thought
I don't think it's an interference fit, more that the gear itself makes up the back of the phaser.

OP
OP

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Right, but somehow they have to be indexed on the cam.
Either the gear or phaser is keyed or some form of interference fit?

I don't think it's an interference fit, more that the gear itself makes up the back of the phaser.
Sponsored