Any ideas for Anza Borrego?

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Cherokee , 2021 JTMojave (punjabi), 22 gobiator
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
Im looking for any ideas on what to do in Anza Borrego. Im planning on camping at culp valley campground. Im welcome to off road ideas. Not trying to go crazy because i will have my wife and two small dogs in the Gladiator with me. Thanks
Sponsored

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Iā€™m not familiar with Culp Valley Camp but often camp in the Anza Borrego area. It looks like you will be in the North part of the park. There are some great canyon drives, truckhaven 4x4 training center and slot canyons in the general area.

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
Ocotillo Wells, Borrego Springs, Truck Haven. How long are you there for? Thereā€™s weeks of things to see and do.

Sportsbiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Digital Experience Program Manager
One of the great things for me about Anza Borrego is dispersed camping. Unless you and/or your wife need access to toilets and other basics, I would recommend looking to camping in Hawk Canyon or many other areas in the park. A common quick thing for me is starting the trail by the entrance to Slot Canyon, maybe setting up camp in Hawk Canyon, and then continuing the next day through cut across trail, Short Wash (some good camp spots here too), before climbing up to where Fontā€™s Point is. Lots and lots to see and do just in that area. Being a designated dark sky neighborhood, these quick overnight camping trips are a regular thing for me during meteor showers.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Im looking for any ideas on what to do in Anza Borrego. Im planning on camping at culp valley campground. Im welcome to off road ideas. Not trying to go crazy because i will have my wife and two small dogs in the Gladiator with me. Thanks
Are you familiar with the park or have you been there before?
If yes forgive my basic ideas.
I drove east from Julian down the S2 (or great southern overland stage route) past agua caliente and turn north on vallecito creek rd (32.9153083, -116.2406586). That turns east until a wide wash.
Then up arroyo tapiado road (32.8951470, -116.1794128) to the huge mud caves (actually on google maps). Then back east and up north on arroyo secco del Diablo rd (32.8809063, -116.1573553) through the canyon to turnoff east (32.9391886, -116.1899163) to Diablo dropoff. Easily went down the drop in my JTR. Then drive up north east through fish creek wash to split mountain rd to ocotillo wells.
Did that all with my 8yo so I think they could handle it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
1996XJ

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
Iā€™m not familiar with Culp Valley Camp but often camp in the Anza Borrego area. It looks like you will be in the North part of the park. There are some great canyon drives, truckhaven 4x4 training center and slot canyons in the general area.
Not sure yet but trying to spend first day up at the north part and second day more south. Thanks for the slot canyon idea, wife wants to see them.
Ocotillo Wells, Borrego Springs, Truck Haven. How long are you there for? Thereā€™s weeks of things to see and do.
Only two days, plan is to camp one day up in the north part of the park and then work my way south and then camp one day there.
One of the great things for me about Anza Borrego is dispersed camping. Unless you and/or your wife need access to toilets and other basics, I would recommend looking to camping in Hawk Canyon or many other areas in the park. A common quick thing for me is starting the trail by the entrance to Slot Canyon, maybe setting up camp in Hawk Canyon, and then continuing the next day through cut across trail, Short Wash (some good camp spots here too), before climbing up to where Fontā€™s Point is. Lots and lots to see and do just in that area. Being a designated dark sky neighborhood, these quick overnight camping trips are a regular thing for me during meteor showers.
thanks for all the ideas Ill google hawk canyon and short wash. I am also considering dispersed camping. The only downside is i am supposed to stay one car length off the roadside so i dont think ill feel like im off in the boons alone if its any kind of a traveled road with people driving by. Then again blair valley will have me parked right next to people and cars as well.

Are you familiar with the park or have you been there before?
If yes forgive my basic ideas.
I drove east from Julian down the S2 (or great southern overland stage route) past agua caliente and turn north on vallecito creek rd (32.9153083, -116.2406586). That turns east until a wide wash.
Then up arroyo tapiado road (32.8951470, -116.1794128) to the huge mud caves (actually on google maps). Then back east and up north on arroyo secco del Diablo rd (32.8809063, -116.1573553) through the canyon to turnoff east (32.9391886, -116.1899163) to Diablo dropoff. Easily went down the drop in my JTR. Then drive up north east through fish creek wash to split mountain rd to ocotillo wells.
Did that all with my 8yo so I think they could handle it.
Thanks for all the GPS and trail ideas. You gave me a lot to check out i appreciate it.

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 gladiator rubicon
Just hit up diablo drop and fish creek a couple weeks back. Always a good time.

OP
OP
1996XJ

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
Those other guys hadā€¦ more interesting suggestionsšŸ˜’
No i appreciate it my wife just mentioned wanting to see the mud caves and i think i see the diable drop off in a youtube channel i watch. The name rings a bell for me

Sportsbiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Digital Experience Program Manager
Also, Diablo Drop Off isnā€™t as bad as it sounds. Pick a good line, then throw it in 4 Low and 1st, and crawl down.

Sponsored

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
No i appreciate it my wife just mentioned wanting to see the mud caves and i think i see the diable drop off in a youtube channel i watch. The name rings a bell for me
Iā€™m an off-road noob just slowly building up my rig and skills, but it was no sweat going down (but steep!). Iā€™m guessing itā€™s pretty challenging to go up with stock tires because it was pretty rutted out when I went, presumably from people going up and spinning tires.
So for planning, going south to north goes down the drop.šŸ‘

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Iā€™m an off-road noob just slowly building up my rig and skills, but it was no sweat going down (but steep!). Iā€™m guessing itā€™s pretty challenging to go up with stock tires because it was pretty rutted out when I went, presumably from people going up and spinning tires.
So for planning, going south to north goes down the drop.šŸ‘
I believe its technically one way. I did see a vid of a guy that climbed it on an enduro.

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
Head out at midnight, drop a little acid, grab your candles, and go see Little People.šŸ˜‰

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I believe its technically one way. I did see a vid of a guy that climbed it on an enduro.
I didnā€™t know that.. so is there a way to get from the north side down to the south without going up Diablo?
I think I watched some Tacoma YouTubers go up it (on 35s I think) so I think a gladiator could do it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
1996XJ

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
Not sure yet but now i am thinking of going to do the borrego mountain loop that i think takes you right past hawk canyon so ill check that out and see if i can find some secluded place to camp off of one of those roads for the first night. For the second day im thinking of checking out fish creek or blair valley. Still trying to think it over and take in suggestions.
Sponsored