Sponsored

Any issue damaging the finish on a matching spare (under vehicle)?

Hank_

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Mojave, 1941 Willys
Occupation
Ford and Jeep warranty claim analyst.
I am having a set of Fuel wheels installed today. I always go with 5 matching wheels as I do 5 tire rotations. I got a call from Discount Tire saying they think if they put the spare under the Gladiator it will damage the finish of the wheel. Does anyone have any advise on this? I do not want to carry the wheel in the wheel in the back of the truck.

Thanks,
Hank
Sponsored

Psycho Squirrel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 White Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, '14 Black Grand Cherokee Limited, '63 Blue Corvair Monza,
I can’t say for sure as I haven’t really looked that closely but I believe the only part of the winch system that lifts the wheel in place is the hanger that fits in the center of the wheel. That said, if there’s some sort of center cap covering that part of the wheel once installed I wouldn’t worry about it.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
I am just going with 4, even though I have 5. I dont really want to put the nice wheel under there to use as a skid plate when I go offroad.
Ill keep a steelie.

Ill have a 5th wheel for if i ever need to replace one.

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
I had a full-size 5th Granite Crystal JL wheel underneath, and I didn't notice any damage when I traded it in and put the stock wheels back on.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
If you do serious off-roading where the spare can get hit, I can see it getting damaged. Keep in mind the hitch will hit before the spare, however, so in the case of dropping off a ledge the spare should be protected.

If you only do mild trails, FSRs or just pavement, then just make it a habit to drop it and wash it to protect the finish from road grime.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hank_

Hank_

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ok. I told them to just put it in the back of the truck and I will look at how it mounts tonight when I get home. This truck is my daily driver and forrest cruiser. Here in Michigan it won't seem many ledges to drop off. I hope to get out west one day and do some exploring but those wont be anything extreme either.

Thank for the info,

Hank

TomH

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
IT
I think the biggest problem would be road salt on the wheel. It is going to be hard to keep it clean while it is under the truck. That would be the damage I would be concerned with.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
I have a matching spare and have not noticed any issues with it being under the bed. But I'm under the belief that wheels get scratched and chipped when going off road so for me it's a non issue.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
I have a matching spare and have not noticed any issues with it being under the bed. But I'm under the belief that wheels get scratched and chipped when going off road so for me it's a non issue.
Are you saying you dont take your truck off the road?

stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR, '15 Range Rover
Occupation
Civil Eng
Do you still have your oem steelie with a same size tire on it?
You could leave it under the truck and then leave your 5th Fuel/tire at home for when you rotate the tires.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hank_

Hank_

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Do you still have your oem steelie with a same size tire on it?
You could leave it under the truck and then leave your 5th Fuel/tire at home for when you rotate the tires.
That is an idea. I do have the steel wheel and could throw a cheap 35" tire on in case I need it. I will check it out more this evening.

Thanks

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Are you saying you dont take your truck off the road?
Not as much as I'd like. I'm suggesting more damage is done off road to the 4 wheels attached to axles than the one under the bed driving on pavement. And again even if it did I don't really care. After you rotate it in all of them eventually look the same.
Sponsored