Sponsored

Any one swapped out the chrome lug nuts ?

The Welsh Griffin

First Name
TBone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Work in an Oven
Wifes ride has no chrome left except the chrome lug nuts. I told her I'd get her wheels like mine, You can't see them behind the black rhino covers. Haha , denied.

My questions would be :

Are there black lug nuts and if so are they painted and does the paint wear off after I swap the Summers & winters a couple times ?

Anyone tried these silicone lug nut covers , and if so do you think they would stretch over the wheel lock nut ?

Finally if you have tried them , did you find them made in places other than China or Russia ?

( I'm at work and I think I remember they are 21mm ? )

Thanks for any input. Couple pics included
20220521_152628.jpg
Screenshot_20220402-193724_Gallery.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
The Welsh Griffin

The Welsh Griffin

First Name
TBone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Work in an Oven
I found these , thanks for the help in deciding.
Screenshot_20220523-221451_Amazon Shopping.jpg

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I have the Gorilla lugs also. Have had the wheels off a few times and they are holding up well. No chips, scratches or rust. Not sure what the finish is but it is not paint.

Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I have the gorilla nuts on my JT.
Have no issues with them.
My issue with the gorrila nuts is the key tool isn't impact hardened. My life is a lot easier when I can zip my nuts to 100ftlb with my impact and torque stick before dropping the truck and torque wrenching to 130ftlb

SnazzGlad

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
21-23 mm is that the size that fits the Jeep?

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link

Beewdawg

First Name
Brewdawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Truck driver
My issue with the gorrila nuts is the key tool isn't impact hardened. My life is a lot easier when I can zip my nuts to 100ftlb with my impact and torque stick before dropping the truck and torque wrenching to 130ftlb
I've had no problem with the key using a pneumatic impact on any of my lug nuts.

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership
I've had no problem with the key using a pneumatic impact on any of my lug nuts.
From experience, it will eventually fail. I used them on many of my project cars and ended up missing an autoX due to the failed socket key šŸ‘Ž

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
If you're expecting a catastrophic failure on first use and didn't get one, sure you've had "no problems" but using impact on non-impact hardened cylinder keys will eventually crack, it's just a matter of time. And because you're keying all 20 lugs, it'll happen sooner.

And because it's a special tool let's hope you're not halfway into removing your lugs. Imagine having 2.5 wheels loosened when your key cracks and you can't tighten or loosen anything. Now you have no vehicle until amazon shows up the next day... oh wait, they aren't prime eligible. Now you have a truck you can't drive until your temporary set of mismatched lugnuts shows up from amazon next day, and then your replacement gorilla key shows up between june 3rd-5th.

Is all this i've laid out a "definitely going to happen scenario"? maybe not... but you're driving a truck that needs 130ftlbs, not a little sedan that only wants 85ftlbs. just makes it all more likely again.

Could you own your truck for a quarter million miles and never have an issue? sure. Is it a chance i'd take? nah.

CoachA

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Teacher
Wifes ride has no chrome left except the chrome lug nuts. I told her I'd get her wheels like mine, You can't see them behind the black rhino covers. Haha , denied.

My questions would be :

Are there black lug nuts and if so are they painted and does the paint wear off after I swap the Summers & winters a couple times ?

Anyone tried these silicone lug nut covers , and if so do you think they would stretch over the wheel lock nut ?

Finally if you have tried them , did you find them made in places other than China or Russia ?

( I'm at work and I think I remember they are 21mm ? )

Thanks for any input. Couple pics included
20220521_152628.jpg
Screenshot_20220402-193724_Gallery.jpg
Bought the black lug nuts to complement the stock wheels I painted flat black. Recently further lost my mind and purchased those Threedom black covers for the front door keyholes. Might have to name my JT ā€œStendhalā€.
Jeep Gladiator Any one swapped out the chrome lug nuts ? D645D051-710B-4D07-A5FF-A4186F88F6D6
Sponsored