1. Hurley82

Hurley82 Member

Vehicle(s):
    Chevy Volt , BMW F800GS
    Liked:
    #1 Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    https://products.rivian.com/

I'm sure this truck isn't something everyone here would consider but what are people thoughts. Can get 400 miles of range, tow 11k pounds, 3 seconds something 0-60, innovative storage, charge 200 miles of range in 30 min. Etc .

I use to have a JK unlimited, then a couple Land Rovers, then a Chevy volt. I love cars and the Volt isn't my favorite but I absolutely love how little maintenance electric vehicles take, sure there is software and electrical to worry about but never having to get gas, spark plugs, oil changes etc is pretty nice. I had the original brake pads inspected on my 83k mile volt and they were like new. With the volt having the onboard generator 95 % of my driving is electric but it has the ability to do road trips. I use about 8 gallons of gas in 5 months. Last year I burned 12 gallons total and drove 10k miles. For me ive seen huge savings in expenses after owning a JK, Lr3 and range Rover.

If I could swing the Rivian I would probably go that route but it's too costly for me.

I know for many the unknown is charging infrastructure and speed. On the Rivian charging 200 miles in 30 minutes is pretty reasonable. I could do my 550 Mile road trip to see my family with just a stop or two and not much charging downtime. Porsche and BMW have built a 450kwh prototype charger that charges as fast as a gas fill up. Interesting stuff nonetheless.

2. megamucho

megamucho Member

First Name:
    mega
    Vehicle(s):
    '18 R1200GS
    Liked:
    I think it depends on your use cases for the truck. For the around town and easy gravel road driving depicted in the video, I think this is an awesome truck, pricing aside. For people who really want to "get out there" into backcountry, I would be concerned about durability and the ability to diagnose and repair the vehicle out on the trail. In many ways the thing could be more robust than petrol-powered vehicles, due to the lack of moving and lubricated parts... But good luck if you end up stuck and there are 15 special tools required to make a repair.

3. NoBigDeal

NoBigDeal Active Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    F150
    Liked:
    I didn't think much of it when I first saw, but reading more into it, it is starting to grow on me. If in a few years they can get the range up to around 500 miles and add features like this, their modular bed system,
    Rivian-Modules-7-Rivianforums.jpg
    I may heavily consider getting one.

4. steffen707

steffen707 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 2010 Grand Caravan, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid
    Liked:
    it would be nice, but i bet it'll be expensive.

5. Jeepers!

Jeepers! Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle(s):
    Future Gladiator Rubicon. Past Jeeps: 1995 YJ; 1985 Grand Wagoneer.
    Liked:
    I read that it starts at $69,000. But the fully loaded ones will come out first, like the Tesla Model E.

steffen707 likes this.
  6. NoBigDeal

NoBigDeal Active Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    F150
    Liked:
    I'm a country boy, and for the most part have always had full size trucks with V8s as my daily driver. I would have never thought I'd be interested in an electric vehicle. No truck options, and living in Texas, nothing manufactured was practical. I can see a lot of potential with this truck, even with its price tag. However, I wish these electric manufacturers would realize not everyone cares or even wants these pretty luxurious interiors. They aren't going to look nearly as sharp when they get dirt, mud, oil, grease, and some form of livestock excrement on them. I would even bet money that if Ford does end up producing their F150EV that it will come with a high trim level.

homerun, steffen707 and 5JeepsAz like this.
  7. Casique

Casique Active Member

First Name:
    Thanos
    Vehicle(s):
    2011 FLHX, 2017 Acura MDX, 2006 Volvo C70
    Liked:
    That's one REAL ugly truck from the front!