Sponsored

Any way to make USB a phone charger not try to take over the phone?

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel, 2021 392, 1982 J10
I want usb2 in the center console to just be a power outlet for my phone, instead it tries to play music and go to apple car play and removes all the phone functions off the screen?

Or if you active the apple car play will it do what I want?

Last Gladiator I used apple car play and the apple gps and Jeeps gps drove me around in circles fighting each other, I prefer to keep it simple I dont need to even use apple car play.

And I dont want to use the cigarette lighter, I like the cord neat in the console, thanks!!
Sponsored

stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR, '15 Range Rover
Occupation
Civil Eng
I think if you disable Smartphone Projection Manager it should prevent Apple CarPlay and/or Android Auto from starting up.
There is also a USB port in the back seat that is only for charging.

Its strange that you experience a battle of Sat Navs. Mine will only allow one to run at a time. Although I use Android and maybe it's an Apple issue.

Screenshot_20201207-200855_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20201207-200925_Photos.jpg

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Why wouldn’t you use CarPlay? What do you use your phone for in the car you can’t do with CarPlay?

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport EcoDiesel
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I think if you disable Smartphone Projection Manager it should prevent Apple CarPlay and/or Android Auto from starting up.
There is also a USB port in the back seat that is only for charging.

Its strange that you experience a battle of Sat Navs. Mine will only allow one to run at a time. Although I use Android and maybe it's an Apple issue.

Jeep Gladiator Any way to make USB a phone charger not try to take over the phone? Screenshot_20201207-200925_Photos

Jeep Gladiator Any way to make USB a phone charger not try to take over the phone? Screenshot_20201207-200925_Photos
This is what I do when having Android Auto issues. Stops uconnect from trying to interface with it and just charges.

stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR, '15 Range Rover
Occupation
Civil Eng
This is what I do when having Android Auto issues. Stops uconnect from trying to interface with it and just charges.
Exactly. No need to try and solve the OP's issue with additional hardware when the OEM software has a built-in solution. :)

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave

Sponsored

OP
OP
Smess

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Why wouldn’t you use CarPlay? What do you use your phone for in the car you can’t do with CarPlay?
I ran into this on fakebook tonight when someone asked about the correct paint for the trunk of a Javelin. I posted the response, a perfect match recommended by a pro restorer........ and suddenly a person comes in with "why would you want to do that, just make it how you want it, don't worry about being correct".
Why when someone asks a very specific EASY question because THEY want something a certain way, do others say "why would you want that" instead of the answer?
I don't want that stupid car play popping up and taking over and then making my phone pop crap up when all I want to do is CHARGE the bloody thing. I'm with the OP - WHY DO I WANT CARPLAY every time I plug in just to charge?
I just want to charge the f'n phone. Not have crap pop up.
Sometimes honestly a phone is just a phone. It's not a toy and some of us want just to charge it.
I've set up that carplay junk and frankly, am not impressed - and it's annoying as hell when you only want to charge and keep getting pop-ups on the phone and truck all but insisting you must be stupid for not wanting to connect.
I don't even use the bluetooth in the truck for my phone other than if I want to MAKE a call. Calls coming in, there's a switch right next to my ear I hit and then I listen and talk privately through my hearing aids and it can be raining or sleeting and the person on the other end doesn't ask "what's all that noise, I can't hear you" like they do if I use the truck's system.

Everyone has their own way of doing things - it's sort of a JEEP THING - independence, doing things how the owner sees fit, not fitting some mold others think we should fit into.
There's my rant for the night............ but I keep seeing this everywhere I go - ask a question and instead of answers "why, you should do it like I do it"

Sorry, but it bugs me and seeing it for like the third time tonight was just it.

OP
OP
Smess

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ran into this on fakebook tonight when someone asked about the correct paint for the trunk of a Javelin. I posted the response, a perfect match recommended by a pro restorer........ and suddenly a person comes in with "why would you want to do that, just make it how you want it, don't worry about being correct".
Why when someone asks a very specific EASY question because THEY want something a certain way, do others say "why would you want that" instead of the answer?
I don't want that stupid car play popping up and taking over and then making my phone pop crap up when all I want to do is CHARGE the bloody thing. I'm with the OP - WHY DO I WANT CARPLAY every time I plug in just to charge?
I just want to charge the f'n phone. Not have crap pop up.
Sometimes honestly a phone is just a phone. It's not a toy and some of us want just to charge it.
I've set up that carplay junk and frankly, am not impressed - and it's annoying as hell when you only want to charge and keep getting pop-ups on the phone and truck all but insisting you must be stupid for not wanting to connect.
I don't even use the bluetooth in the truck for my phone other than if I want to MAKE a call. Calls coming in, there's a switch right next to my ear I hit and then I listen and talk privately through my hearing aids and it can be raining or sleeting and the person on the other end doesn't ask "what's all that noise, I can't hear you" like they do if I use the truck's system.

Everyone has their own way of doing things - it's sort of a JEEP THING - independence, doing things how the owner sees fit, not fitting some mold others think we should fit into.
There's my rant for the night............ but I keep seeing this everywhere I go - ask a question and instead of answers "why, you should do it like I do it"

Sorry, but it bugs me and seeing it for like the third time tonight was just it.
I didn't know I had a twin brother, totally agree. This World is getting way too complicated. I hate cell phones (electronic leashes)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't know I had a twin brother, totally agree. This World is getting way too complicated. I hate cell phones (electronic leashes)
I turned my phone OFF for the weekend!
Seriously, I'm a retired auto mechanic - and retired from government, IT - network admin, etc. and I'm fine with technology but sometimes doing something because you can is just too much.
Why? What will I do with it?
My phone is a phone first. That's the primary purpose. Sure it's handy for other stuff - gee, a calculator and getting texts from my wife reminding me to pick something up at the store (assuming the stupid thing alerts me I have a text - the truck never has done texts properly)
I have my music on USB drive that's so tiny you can't see it when plugged in, or I listen to - gasp - radio! The truck has decent NAV.
So what's the point of that other connect stuff when there's bluetooth to do the phone connect thing for calls and texts (when it even works) - I mean, why else do _I_ want to connect in any other way? Oh, you can play music! Sure, but there are several other ways for that. How about NAV? Naw, the Jeep's built-in system works great for that or there's always my Garmin with lifetime map updates, or just play it through Google maps on the phone. Why else do I need to connect my phone.
I've had the truck for over a year and tried that phone connect thing one time - and it was just too much stuff going on and didn't add to my driving experience one bit.
Then when my wife tried to charge her phone the truck went crazy wanting to set things up and pissed her off. And another trip I hit the wrong port to charge mine and it started to do all that connect crap and enough - no more! Go away!

If others love it and think it's the coolest thing ever made - great, go for it. But so far, I don't see any advantage.
Maybe if uconnect ever pulls out of the 1990s, and makes things more reliable and modern it might work correctly. But for now that phone connect stuff keeps screwing up and needing to be redone. Last time I tried to just charge it, it wanted to install more stuff. I already went through all of that and it wanted me to do it all again.

OP
OP
Smess

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only thing the car play would do from all u said it would display google maps on the big screen on the dash
Sponsored