Sponsored

Anybody add heated seats after purchase?

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, TJ
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Wondering if anyone has taken their non-heated seats and made them heated with a kit.
Sponsored

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Lots of people do in the Wrangler. I haven't seen a thread here yet on adding a kit.(could have missed it)
If you are going aftermarket seat covers I know you can add heat with the Katskinz kits. Or there are lots of kits on amazon. Get the right tool and you can do it yourself under the factory seat covers. Some seat covers like bartact (formerly trek armor) has pockets for seat heaters.

OP
OP
robinja

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of people do in the Wrangler. I haven't seen a thread here yet on adding a kit.(could have missed it)
If you are going aftermarket seat covers I know you can add heat with the Katskinz kits. Or there are lots of kits on amazon. Get the right tool and you can do it yourself under the factory seat covers. Some seat covers like bartact (formerly trek armor) has pockets for seat heaters.
Thanks for the info.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Perhaps a use for the AUX switch option?

The biggest thing is to keep the elements from moving or shifting and protect them from the phone or billfold loaded with credit cards and all that cash in your pocket.
There was a great article on troubleshooting heated seats in a recent magazine I read - I know it was for factory heated seats, but a lot applied as it talked of physical damage, flexing, etc. - cover that and you should be good to go.
I have seen some seats I've redone where the foam had a recess for the heating element array. (no, I've never repaired the heated seats, just the seats, covers, springs, frames, etc. - so I don't have heated seat experience directly)

OP
OP
robinja

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Perhaps a use for the AUX switch option?

The biggest thing is to keep the elements from moving or shifting and protect them from the phone or billfold loaded with credit cards and all that cash in your pocket.
There was a great article on troubleshooting heated seats in a recent magazine I read - I know it was for factory heated seats, but a lot applied as it talked of physical damage, flexing, etc. - cover that and you should be good to go.
I have seen some seats I've redone where the foam had a recess for the heating element array. (no, I've never repaired the heated seats, just the seats, covers, springs, frames, etc. - so I don't have heated seat experience directly)
I found a few YouTube videos on how to add. Nothing specific for the JT, yet. I got the Aux Switch Option on my Jeep and most of the kits look like they will be able to hook to Aux 3 and Aux 4 (15 AMP) for driver and passenger seats respectively. If I decide to tackle I'll video the work and post.

Sponsored

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
problem with the aux position is you would only have one setting. the switches that come with the kits are 3 on and 1 off like the factory settings.

OP
OP
robinja

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
problem with the aux position is you would only have one setting. the switches that come with the kits are 3 on and 1 off like the factory settings.
Great point. I was only thinking on and off. I see most of the kits have at least a low and high setting.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, good point. And the factory has 3 besides off. OK, well....... it was good while it lasted.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I would not mind a heated back section but I am not a fan of heating my bumb. I don't even like it on low. I'm not sure if anyone has the option for that or not.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I would not mind a heated back section but I am not a fan of heating my bumb. I don't even like it on low. I'm not sure if anyone has the option for that or not.
My Silverado had that - and with my back issues from lifting engine parts and bending over thousands of fenders over the years - I used the back-only heat a LOT. Sure felt good even in the summer.
I suspect the after-market, just as a GUESS, would be both or none....... I wished the JT seats had a back only option, but at least I have heated seats! And do they work, yeah.

OP
OP
robinja

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
My Silverado had that - and with my back issues from lifting engine parts and bending over thousands of fenders over the years - I used the back-only heat a LOT. Sure felt good even in the summer.
I suspect the after-market, just as a GUESS, would be both or none....... I wished the JT seats had a back only option, but at least I have heated seats! And do they work, yeah.
It might be possible to install just the back section of the heating kits I'm finding on Amazon and Ebay. I don't see why you could not install the bottom pad or leave it unplugged.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
It might be possible to install just the back section of the heating kits I'm finding on Amazon and Ebay. I don't see why you could not install the bottom pad or leave it unplugged.
I bet my wife lady would by these for my truck. She hates that I didn't get the cold weather package. Heck I bet she would pay to have someone install them :)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I bet my wife lady would by these for my truck. She hates that I didn't get the cold weather package. Heck I bet she would pay to have someone install them :)
That's what I figured on the passive unlock system - we said yes, they didn't get it checked, we didn't catch the dealership miss until later. She wants it, she said if they can do it, get it done. Bummer, can't do it.

Heated seats she's not a huge fan of, heated wheel, oh, yeah - she likes that.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
If you have the factory heat its a simple matter to put a toggle on the butt heater. Remove the seat the two wire plug is your seat heat. disconnect and leave it off for no butt at all or wire in a toggle on the ground and put it somewhere easy to reach. Come summer Ill disconnect the butt section so I can do back only. I really like the back heat anytime I drive over 20-30 min
Sponsored