Sponsored

Anyone break the rear glass on a hardtop yet?

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Because I just did:
Jeep Gladiator Anyone break the rear glass on a hardtop yet? PXL_20210725_231903586

In what was otherwise a fun and eventful day with the Jeep truck, I ended up cracking the rear glass loading a grill into the bed at Lowe's. I was hurrying and haste makes waste as they say. 🤬 A few questions for anyone with some experience or guidance.

Am I best off calling insurance, or may I be able to do it out of pocket for a reasonable price with Safelite or a company like that?
Any reason to go to a dealership?
I have children in the backseat. Can I pick my son up for a 10 minute ride, or am I risking that any bump in the road and my kids can be showered in glass?
Sponsored

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
I feel like this is a question for your insurance haha. "Best off" depends on your deductible. As far as right now, I would feel safe running a couple strands of duct tape across the full pane just incase the vibrations from diving cause more damage.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Sorry to hear that your window is broken. I had a leaking rear window and the class guy chipped the crap out of my hardtop while removing it for replacement. I would find the best glass guy in town and skip the dealer on this one. Good luck with the fix.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Cover the whole thing in tape so it makes less of a mess when it let's go. It tempered glass most likely which means it will break into small pea size pieces and not shards. Look in the bottom left or right corners for a etching that says safety glass.

My topper is on and I don't want to crawl in the back.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JTBurns

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Yep, it's safety glass, it's spiderwebed and crumbling, not necessarily sharp. Appreciate the perspectives and advice. Funny thing is, I was proud of myself for saving some money on the grill because it had some cosmetic damage, well guess where that's going...

jc1986

First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon sting grey 6spd
I have had mine replaced because a rock got kicked up from the my neighbor's lawn care guy mowing. This was last year early fall time frame, I called my insurance company and I have a 50$ deductible so it wasn't to bad. The only downside was that the vehicle was so new to the market that they hadn't replaced one yet and they didn't have one available and it took about a week for them to get it. Solid piece of glass looks cool, but its a pain to replace the entire window vs a section.

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
There was a guy on a Jeep Gladiator facebook forum who caught a bunch of shit for loading a mattress on his bed which in turn slid into the back window of his hardtop and the rest is history. He caught so much shit and was so severely traumatized that he traded his Gladiator in on a Ram truck.
Sorry this mishap occurred. Good luck with the fix.

OP
OP
JTBurns

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
There was a guy on a Jeep Gladiator facebook forum who caught a bunch of shit for loading a mattress on his bed which in turn slid into the back window of his hardtop and the rest is history. He caught so much shit and was so severely traumatized that he traded his Gladiator in on a Ram truck.
Geez, yet another reason to stay off the 'book! It's a truck and this is bound to happen to a few of us along the way, so I don't mind sharing my experience if it helps others.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
I remember that. It was a box spring and how he loaded it was so asinine that no one would expect it to NOT do something like that. So people poked fun but gave good advice. Except the guy was an utter dick so it then deescalated into just ramming the guy. Was honestly funny only due to how defensive he was that it was the Jeeps fault it happened, not how he loaded the damn thing.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
If it was me, I would keep that off the books with the Insurance company and just eat the cost and handle it myself in getting it replaced.

OP
OP
JTBurns

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I remember that. It was a box spring and how he loaded it was so asinine that no one would expect it to NOT do something like that. So people poked fun but gave good advice. Except the guy was an utter dick so it then deescalated into just ramming the guy. Was honestly funny only due to how defensive he was that it was the Jeeps fault it happened, not how he loaded the damn thing.
Well that certainly adds more color to the story. No one's fault but my own on this one, so I've basically been visualizing Red Foreman calling me a dumbass since yesterday. Anyway at least I could take the top off if I had to for a bit.

Starting to make some phone calls. No quote yet, but two glass places said it's expensive and are gonna get back to me. When I hear a number, then I may call insurance

68rt

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
System Tech
Well that certainly adds more color to the story. No one's fault but my own on this one, so I've basically been visualizing Red Foreman calling me a dumbass since yesterday. Anyway at least I could take the top off if I had to for a bit.

Starting to make some phone calls. No quote yet, but two glass places said it's expensive and are gonna get back to me. When I hear a number, then I may call insurance
May be cheaper to find a used hardtop. Check Facebook market place. I have seen 2 in the last week near me for 1200 to 1500.00. Just a thought. Should also be able to sell yours too?

OP
OP
JTBurns

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
May be cheaper to find a used hardtop. Check Facebook market place. I have seen 2 in the last week near me for 1200 to 1500.00. Just a thought. Should also be able to sell yours too?
Oh nice, now we're thinking outside the box! I'd even go soft top, but I don't think the wife would go for it.

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
Gonna be pricey. But I'd be more afraid of THAT look you'll get from the wifey every time you barbecue. Yeah, you know the one that says, "You know, dear, I thought for $1500 that this burger would be less burnt." 😒

:LOL:
Good luck.
Sponsored