Sponsored

Anyone buy at Gupton and title in Maryland?

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
Hey everyone--

Kicking around ordering a JT at Gupton in Tennessee.

Has anyone done this? Anything I should be aware as far as titling/paying taxes in MD? Daniel @ Gupton said they don't collect state sales tax but there is a local/city tax they do. Does MD credit us for tax already paid in this case?

Any pointers/tips otherwise?

We're thinking that we'd fly to Nashville and then do as short (3-4) day road trip back to Baltimore by way of the Smokies and Blue Ridge Parkway.

TIA.
Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I bought a JL from Maryland and then had to transfer it into Delaware. Maybe it’s because it was through CarMax, But I paid almost nothing to transfer it to Delaware.

before I made the purchase I did call a state DMV and had them walk me through the process so I knew what paperwork to make sure I had before we left the Carmax.

I would suggest doing the same if you’re thinking of buying out of state

OP
OP
BourbonRunner

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
Thanks. DE doesn't have sales tax so they're unique in that regard.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. DE doesn't have sales tax so they're unique in that regard.
We don’t have sales tax but we do pay transfer tax, just like the government to make you think it’s a good deal and get you on the backend!

What kind of JT are you looking at getting?

OP
OP
BourbonRunner

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
I'm torn between a Sports S Max Tow or a Rubicon with tow package.

I really want cloth and the Rubicons with it are few and far between.

Local dealer has a Rubicon on on the lot that has almost everything I want except switches and trail rail package with cloth. I just don't love the color. I know I can add the rails but I lose out on the outlet. And from what I read here the switch group is a PITA. I'm not as torn on that and likely would go aftermarket but the trail rail package is important to me just to have an outlet for camping.

Sponsored

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2021 BMW M2, 2012 Monster 1100evo
Occupation
Business Intelligence
I just had a dealer in VA (CMA Valley in Staunton) match Gupton pricing. Was much easier that way. Erik Kibler is who I worked with

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I'm torn between a Sports S Max Tow or a Rubicon with tow package.

I really want cloth and the Rubicons with it are few and far between.

Local dealer has a Rubicon on on the lot that has almost everything I want except switches and trail rail package with cloth. I just don't love the color. I know I can add the rails but I lose out on the outlet. And from what I read here the switch group is a PITA. I'm not as torn on that and likely would go aftermarket but the trail rail package is important to me just to have an outlet for camping.
If you’re in a position to wait and get what you want then don’t settle. Jeeps are tinker toya but adding some of the oem stuff after the fact can be a huge pita.

that said…ive learned From buying multiple jeeps that it’s almost always easier to get any other package than the Rubicon. Because just about everyone who buys a Rubicon takes most of the original Rubicon parts off and sells them for way cheaper then you would pay to buy them from the dealer.

That’s assuming you’re not after the lockers and sway bar disconnect.

I have a Jt max tow and use the heck out of it as a tow vehicle. Just got back from a 900 mile Round trip with my 6,000lbs travel trailer.

wvuviv30

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Live Sound Engineer - Meerkat Sound
Since the dealer in TN isn't charging MD sales tax... when you bring it back to MD to register, you'll have to pay the MD sales tax and titling fees.
Sponsored