Sponsored

Anyone Concerned About Costs???

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys I was wondering if any of you are concerned with costs? Reason I ask is that if you price out a JKU Rubicon right now your looking at a base of: $37,445.00 .... Add a $6,000 option for the Diesel w/ 8 Speed your at $43,445.00 before any other options.

Here is kind of what my build would be like based on current JKU options:

Base Rubicon: $37,445.00
Diesel with Auto: $6,000.00
Connectivity: $695.00
Leather & Premium Sound: $2,000.00
Tow Package: $495.00
Hardtop: $1,995.00
Body Color Fenders: $395.00
Auto Temp Control: $395.00
Remote Start: $495.00

Total: $49,915.00

Thats a pretty pricy Mid-Size Truck. By comparison I can get into a Laramie Ram 2500 crew Cab 4x4 with Cummins diesel for the same price: http://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeep...ll-boise-08ce99f10a0e0a6b3f0ee73905c2bf3f.htm

Or grab as Power Wagon around $43K: http://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeep...ll-boise-c45f645c0a0e0a6b3f70d6d85d94d395.htm

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Tango

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Sahara, 2004 Jeep TJ, 2016 F150
I too am concerned about price, however...

I don't think it's fair to compare a $64,880 Ram to your $50k Jeep. (sticker to sticker)

It kills me every time I see someone comparing one new thing to an outdated, used, or heavily discounted vehicle. It just doesn't work. The JT will probably have discounts if/when it is as long in the tooth as that Ram - it was "all new" in 2009.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
It's never meant to compete with bare bones anything so it was always gonna be priced at a premium. Compare it to a Raptor and TRD Pro and then you see that same price tage and higher.

If it was going to be a $30-40K pricetage, then it wouldn't have been worth doing because it costs way more to make than an F-150 or Ram 1500, especially when they already have established economies of scale for cookie-cutting commercial fleet vehicles.

Also that PW comparison is deceiving, as it doesn't really matter what Dennis is selling his PW for in Idaho with discounts, the base Power Wagon MSRP starts @ $51,700 not $43K , even they state a $58K MSRP on that page, so that's not a fair comparison.

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I disagree with both of you.

At the end of the day the JT is going to be using Ram rear suspension. So while both the 1500 and 2500 are long in tooth your getting a similar set up in a new package. The power wagon is very capable and IMO will most likely be similar in capability as the JTU with the only benefit of the JTU being narrower for tighter trails.

Also I'm comparing for off the lot costs. MSRP means zero in the world of trucks, so its a matter of what your total cost out of pocket is. Yes the Ram 2500 Diesel has a a MSRP of mid $60s and the Power Wagon high $50s, but thats the point your getting a LOT of truck with the other ones for similar money or for less money. The Dennis Dillon prices are real prices for anyone. Its no different then people that buy Jeeps from Koons, its just happens I live here so its even easier for me.

For me I don't really need the size of the 2500 so the only reason I keep looking at the JT and mid size trucks is that I would prefer smaller vehicle. Also I know at the end of the day the Ram is not a Jeep and with it you dont get the Jeep community, or some of the unique features of a Jeep. Its jsut crazy from a truck perspective that its even in the same price range as HD Truck and more expensive then the 1500.

Tango

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I disagree with both of you.

At the end of the day the JT is going to be using Ram rear suspension. So while both the 1500 and 2500 are long in tooth your getting a similar set up in a new package. The power wagon is very capable and IMO will most likely be similar in capability as the JTU with the only benefit of the JTU being narrower for tighter trails.

Also I'm comparing for off the lot costs. MSRP means zero in the world of trucks, so its a matter of what your total cost out of pocket is. Yes the Ram 2500 Diesel has a a MSRP of mid $60s and the Power Wagon high $50s, but thats the point your getting a LOT of truck with the other ones for similar money or for less money. The Dennis Dillon prices are real prices for anyone. Its no different then people that buy Jeeps from Koons, its just happens I live here so its even easier for me.

For me I don't really need the size of the 2500 so the only reason I keep looking at the JT and mid size trucks is that I would prefer smaller vehicle. Also I know at the end of the day the Ram is not a Jeep and with it you dont get the Jeep community, or some of the unique features of a Jeep. Its jsut crazy from a truck perspective that its even in the same price range as HD Truck and more expensive then the 1500.
You are still comparing something that is an 8 year old design with one that is completely new - so new it doesn't exist yet.

The only thing you can compare is sticker. Some people will pay far, far less than sticker on a JT.

Colorado ZR2 isn't cheap either - with diesel it's around $50k with similar options. This and the Ranger Raptor will be the competition, not Rams.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
You are still comparing something that is an 8 year old design with one that is completely new - so new it doesn't exist yet.
Your missing the point. They are both trucks, both offering hauling and towing, both with 4 doors, both with diesel options (in fact the 2500 has a MUCH nicer Diesel option as a Cummins > then the VM Motori). The 2500s can tow more, have more HP, more TQ, Larger Payloads, More interior Room, most likely better highway manners and more. The rear design of the JT is taken from the Ram with the JL front so its not really "all new". Yes its a new mid size truck but your not talking about all new running gear. Your talking about the same basic designs for the most part. In fact the Power Wagon even had a updated suspensions design, which I bet is the basics of the JT's rear. My point is your getting a lot more truck with the 2500s for the same money or less.

The only thing you can compare is sticker. Some people will pay far, far less than sticker on a JT.
They will not pay far less then sticker for a while as the demand will be high on the JT because of it being new. Even at $1,500 below invoice your talking a discount of around $6,000 off MSRP would would put my build at $44K and still $1K more then the Power Wagon.

Colorado ZR2 isn't cheap either - with diesel it's around $50k with similar options. This and the Ranger Raptor will be the competition, not Rams.
Yes I know, that just part of my point that Mid-Size truck market is expensive for what they are. I'm still leaning towards the JTU as I like how its unique, not only in looks, but also due to removable top, and customizability. But like I mentioned in another thread, by the time you add on new bumpers, a lift, winch, wheels and tires your almost at Ford F150 Raptor money (which I personally almost like the Raptor better and would be ok keeping that almost stock).

Tango

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A new 2017 Nissan Frontier 4 door can be had for around $23k. I can point you to a good dealer. ;)

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So while both the 1500 and 2500 are long in tooth...
..both are getting an update next year, same time as JT launch, so non-issue.

The power wagon is very capable and IMO will most likely be similar in capability as the JTU with the only benefit of the JTU being narrower for tighter trails.
And convertible, and diesel... or perhaps the Wrangler is 'just another SUV' by that srgument and should be priced like an Escape or Equinox or Kia Sportage.

Also I'm comparing for off the lot costs.
Which makes no sense. MSRP vs MSRP is the only true comparison, discounts are sales tools ater the fact, especially for a year old truck being dumper off lots. At least compare a 2018 RAM to not be deceptive, even if only to yourself.

You want compare discounts then you compare them after initial demand settles. Otherwise I use the argument that the JT is worth much more than MSRP, closer to $80-100K because of pent-up demand and that's what people are willing to pay for an AEV Brute.

TruBluAero

First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Dodge Dart Aero
I'm gonna jump in and say this: their are quite a few postal service routes out in the boonies that require a Jeep to get around to them-especially in the winter. And I bet some of those postal stations will fight to get JTs, most likely in the mountains. US Mail isn't gonna pay for a Rubicon, therefore I say there is at least one good market for a Sport trim. Also, since it shares so many parts with the JL, it seems like it would be fairly easy to make a basement trim level.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm gonna jump in and say this: their are quite a few postal service routes out in the boonies that require a Jeep to get around to them-especially in the winter. And I bet some of those postal stations will fight to get JTs, most likely in the mountains. US Mail isn't gonna pay for a Rubicon, therefore I say there is at least one good market for a Sport trim.
Posties can already order discounted RHD Wranglers to the tune of about 3,000 units a year in the US.

Also, since it shares so many parts with the JL, it seems like it would be fairly easy to make a basement trim level.
It's possible / probable, but only after initial demand is met (you don't push margin aside for base models) , it's also a tougher situation since a RHD model let alone export model isn't certain yet for the JT.
Even then it becomes like any fleet vehicle sales, and the smarter target for a JT is Forestry and Parks services, etc (or even military, police, national guard) they need a Wrangler truck more than Posties, and are more likely to pay for it... under a new administration.

Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Chrysler 200 LX
Yes, I am concerned about the price, because it's expensive and I'm not made of money. A new Wrangler Rubicon is the one, single, nice thing I want.

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
i was under the impression that it had been comfirmed for the aussie market but we have to wait about another year after you guys get it that what the auto industry buzz is anyway

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
..both are getting an update next year, same time as JT launch, so non-issue.
Incorrect. 1500 yes. 2500 not till 2020 or 2021

And convertible, and diesel... or perhaps the Wrangler is 'just another SUV' by that srgument and should be priced like an Escape or Equinox or Kia Sportage.
The diesel can be had in the 2500 just not in the power wagon, but nothing a AEV kit for $2500 couldnt fix.

Which makes no sense. MSRP vs MSRP is the only true comparison, discounts are sales tools ater the fact, especially for a year old truck being dumper off lots. At least compare a 2018 RAM to not be deceptive, even if only to yourself.
It 100% makes sense at the end of the day its comparing your BUYING POWER. Hence the money that is taken out of your bank account. MSRP is 100% irrelevant from a pure financial analysis. At the end of the day you look at whats available to meet your personal needs and what the cost to own that item at the time of purchase. You then find all options that meet the budget and make a decision on the options available. MSRP tells you NOTHING about what your actual cost will be when it comes to writing the check or signing for the loan.

You want compare discounts then you compare them after initial demand settles. Otherwise I use the argument that the JT is worth much more than MSRP, closer to $80-100K because of pent-up demand and that's what people are willing to pay for an AEV Brute.
I did that ......

...Even at $1,500 below invoice your talking a discount of around $6,000 off MSRP would would put my build at $44K and still $1K more then the Power Wagon.

...But like I mentioned in another thread, by the time you add on new bumpers, a lift, winch, wheels and tires your almost at Ford F150 Raptor money (which I personally almost like the Raptor better and would be ok keeping that almost stock).

Last edited:

dano0726

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'm with Vegas -- even if I peel off the Leather + Auto Temp + Remote Start, I'm looking at $47K sticker price (with the diesel and 8 speed automatic)
Sponsored