Sponsored

Anyone else bothered by this Uconnect feature?

peej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR10A
Was backing up my enclosed trailer down my long driveway last night in the dark and had a much tougher time doing so than I should have. The 8.4” uconnect back up camera feature will unfortunately NOT turn off by pressing the “screen off” button. Having it illuminated messes with my vision and the ability to clearly see outside the vehicle in the dark. The screen is too bright and dimming the interior lights by the using scroll on the dash did not change the display’s brightness when in back up camera mode. Ordinarily, in my old JK I would dim the interior & dash lights, turn off the radio which eliminated most of the light in the cab and backing up the trailer in the dark was not a problem.

I would like to have the Ability to turn off the screen in this situation, but it appears that’s not possible. Perhaps the tazer JL can change this? It doesn’t mention this capability but does anyone know any more info about this?

thanks in advance.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Was backing up my enclosed trailer down my long driveway last night in the dark and had a much tougher time doing so than I should have. The 8.4” uconnect back up camera feature will unfortunately NOT turn off by pressing the “screen off” button. Having it illuminated messes with my vision and the ability to clearly see outside the vehicle in the dark. The screen is too bright and dimming the interior lights by the using scroll on the dash did not change the display’s brightness when in back up camera mode. Ordinarily, in my old JK I would dim the interior & dash lights, turn off the radio which eliminated most of the light in the cab and backing up the trailer in the dark was not a problem.

I would like to have the Ability to turn off the screen in this situation, but it appears that’s not possible. Perhaps the tazer JL can change this? It doesn’t mention this capability but does anyone know any more info about this?

thanks in advance.
Grand Cherokee is the same - you can turn off the screen and it's black - until you go to reverse then the backup camera comes on.
There should at least be a way to dim it - seems to me you can the normal uconnect screen but can't recall how.
It's not a Gladiator thing for sure - my wife even mentioned it today about her GC when we went to town for errands.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Could have sworn I turned off the backup camera while backing up once as I played around with the features.

Have you tried dmming the display by using the scroll wheel?

Rdaharsh1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (Overland)
Measure and cut a piece of cardboard that fits over your screen snuggly. Walla fixed

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Just checked our 2015 Dodge Durango Citadel. The back up screen dims with the dash roller switch.

Sponsored

bigbeerdrinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JKU Sahara, 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Can you turn the backup camera off in settings??

upload_2019-11-7_14-17-44.png

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Can you turn the backup camera off in settings??

upload_2019-11-7_14-17-44.png
That's delay of it shutting off after shifting out of reverse.
Can't say I've seen a setting to disable the camera completely. Only the delay for shutting off.

RG48820

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon; 2018 Stinger GT2; Dodge Stealth RT/TT
On the apps screen there is a on/off for the backup camera, but I think it is mainly to turn it on when in drive --would at least be worth trying it reverse.

Cleankat

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Assume it has to do with the regulation that all vehicles need a backup camera, so they won't let you turn it off.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Assume it has to do with the regulation that all vehicles need a backup camera, so they won't let you turn it off.
It should dim though. I'm a big believer in preserving night vision. I routinely dim my interior lights after dark.

Sponsored

Cleankat

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
It should dim though. I'm a big believer in preserving night vision. I routinely dim my interior lights after dark.
Oh I get it, just guessing FCA legal is behind not messing with it.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We have a 2015 FCA Dodge Durango and the camera/screen dims along with everything else with the dimming switch. Either Jeep cheaped out or overlooked it.

Cleankat

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
2018 started the regulation, I'd be willing to bet all cars are that way now.

Now you got me curious going to check my non FCA cars!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Good point as since early last year it was required. Why have it if it can be turned off - so I'd bet the NHTSA stipulated thou shalt have camera that shall be beyond thee's capability to disable

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Measure and cut a piece of cardboard that fits over your screen snuggly. Walla fixed
I keep small hand towels in my vehicles for various uses. Just lay towel over dash and uconnect screen, viola` no more backup screen that you now have complete control over.
Sponsored