Sponsored

Anyone Else Disappointed on the Specs for the JLU 4xe?

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
I am, specifically, speaking about the EV only range. We were going to buy the Rubicon for my wife when it was available but 21 miles of range just doesn't seem worth it.?!?! Perhaps we just heard rumors, but we were going to justify it if were more near 50 miles of EV only range. Just disappointed....

Edit: I figure the range on the 4xe JT will be comparable; disappointed!
Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Maybe you can do like Prius owners have, and add more batteries.

Kevin

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Plug in hybrids only make sense if you do short daily commutes; under 10 miles.

It works for some people; they don’t have to fill up ever. But it doesn’t work for the vast majority of buyers.

My guess is it makes sense to an even smaller number of Jeep Wrangler buyers.

But hey, the Wrangler 392 has a range of barely 200 miles and costs $80,000; so logic has little to do with any of it.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
It would be perfect for me most of my trips are less than 20 miles 90% of the time but I couldn’t wait for it to come out and bought the JT

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
Plug in hybrids only make sense if you do short daily commutes; under 10 miles.

It works for some people; they don’t have to fill up ever. But it doesn’t work for the vast majority of buyers.
The US DOT says the average commute is 15miles. You’ll find a lot of people with even less than that. Either way, I’d say there is a pretty sizable market of commuters that could take full advantage of the 4xe from a range.

Anyways, to me the real advantage of the 4xe is all that torque you can take advantage of on the trails. You can disable the electric drive train and get to the trail on gas only. Once there you can either go full electric on the trail or combine electric and gas for the maximum power on the trails.

One thing I’d love to see is a way to runs overlanding gear on the 4xe’s battery system. I bet that battery would go a long way in that regard.

Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
There aren't many gas stations in rural Nevada, so I tried not to mod my JT in ways that would hurt mpg. If I run out of gas, I could get a 5 gallon can filled, in theory, to get going again--whether I carried my extra gas in cans in the bed, or got some helpful motorist/Jeeper on the trails to help. If my Jeep were electric, oh well.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I could go for more range as well, but that's not all you're getting. It goes into hybrid mode after that, so you'd still get better mileage than the pentastar and more power as well (at least that's what they tell us). I'm excited to see some more real world reviews as the JLU's start rolling out. Either way it'll be a few years before I'd pursue the Wrangler and even longer if I wanted to trade my JT for a JT 4xe, so I'm just watching closely to see how this performs in the real world and how it gets enhanced in the coming years.

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Hard to expect much more from a box on wheels. The plug-in option is really just a performance benefit, not much more than that.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
The US DOT says the average commute is 15miles. You’ll find a lot of people with even less than that. Either way, I’d say there is a pretty sizable market of commuters that could take full advantage of the 4xe from a range.

Anyways, to me the real advantage of the 4xe is all that torque you can take advantage of on the trails. You can disable the electric drive train and get to the trail on gas only. Once there you can either go full electric on the trail or combine electric and gas for the maximum power on the trails.

One thing I’d love to see is a way to runs overlanding gear on the 4xe’s battery system. I bet that battery would go a long way in that regard.
They never talked to people in Houston. Pre Covid I would bet the average commute was 50-100 miles one way

Sponsored

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
The advantage of plug in hybrid is the 50MPG. (Not battery only)

Dont buy 4xe for battery only. You will be disappointed. Though capable of this, not really what its meant for.

Do buy if you want a jeep with 50MPG and thus a tank that takes you almost 700 miles before refilling.

Do buy if you want electronic torque control and torque that becomes useful way low in the RPM range....the 4xe is supposed to be the most capable wrangler.

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
If it could be configured to work on battery only from a standing start to xMPH, then the gas engine would take over - might be a good MPG strategy.

Undecided

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S w/ Max Tow!
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Working from home my routine is 4 miles to the gym 4 times a week and 13 miles to the store once a week.

That would mean I’d basically only use the gas once a week plus any extra driving I do.

I already only fill up once every other week and that’s in the JT. This would mean what maybe once a quarter??

If I started driving to office that would mean 20 miles each way. So only use gas on the trip home.

that’s still a ton of gas savings in my mind. I wanted the truck features of the JT otherwise I’d love this 4xE

LaterGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
Do buy if you want a jeep with 50MPG and thus a tank that takes you almost 700 miles before refilling.
You are fooling yourself if you think the 4xe will get 700 miles on a tank of fuel and a full battery charge. That magical 50 mpg number is actually 50 mpge where that magical "e" is some BS mileage estimate when using the battery only.

The Wrangler and 4xe get 20 mpg on the engine only or 400 miles on a full tank of fuel. No change. The battery-only is good for 21 miles. Which means at 50 mpge the battery is only equivalent to 0.5 gallon of gas.

Be sure to carry a spare gas can with you for the hike to the nearest gas station when you run out of power/fuel trying to stretch the range to 700 miles.

As a practical matter, a good CAI, bigger TB, better chip and high flow cat and exhaust will improve range better than the 4xe option at a lower cost with no additional complexity.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its not BS. Its all about how you use the truck.

I currently live in a urban area and have a place out in the boonies. Around town, with a full charge, the 4xE could run on all electric, all day. The speeding up and slowing down in urban use that gives gas cars terrible mileage is great for EVs because of the regenerative braking.

Conversely, steady state highway cruising plays to normal gas (and even more so to diesel) use, rather than a hybrid.

So like I said, during the week, it would run essentially 100 electric. On weekends, it would behave like a normal hybrid and give me mileage on the highway no better than a regular gas vehicle.
Sponsored