Sponsored

Anyone experienced with 2004 - maybe Wrangler? radiators?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My brother- he keeps asking me questions but doesn't ever really say what he has. It's a Jeep - he's a Jeep guy. He's had a number of Wranglers and other such Jeeps. He had one imported from Maine recently. It's green - wow, I know that from a picture! It's a 2004 - I had to ask! He just asked me about a radiator - but didn't say what in.
So here's what I know - Jeep, 2004, green, came from Maine.
Top tank is split (looks big to me)
He's asking if I know anyone that fixes radiators. I almost laughed as I can't even get my own radiators fixed in this stupid town. Des Moines sucks big-time for auto repairs, radiators - ha, they want insurance jobs and BIG OTR truck radiators.
So - ideas here?

(and so I don't have to keep asking him what he's got - what's he got? LOL)

Jeep Gladiator Anyone experienced with 2004 - maybe Wrangler? radiators? 651455006
Sponsored

JustKruzn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU, compass
Occupation
Self
Oh and it looks like a TJ.
Need to know if it is a 4 cylinder or 6cylinder.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It's a TJ now for a radiator most auto parts stores have them in stock. I'm on #3. OEM started to leak after 10-11 years. In to Advance Auto or the other in stock.... But it leaked from time I got it.🙄 Few years back I broke down got a "high quality" aftermarket aluminum one for mine, so now I'm smelling coolant when I drive it again.:facepalm:
So if done do flush first then hoses, T-stat radiator but plan on the heater core replacement too. It's a real PTA to do with one person. the A.C. has to be drained n refilled too. Mine went to leaking the winter after the OEM radiator. :headbang:
My LJ is a 05 but same for most parts
Now I know you know that already but maybe someone else reading this thread later. :like: :like::like:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Oh and it looks like a TJ.
Need to know if it is a 4 cylinder or 6cylinder.
OK, TJ it is - knowing my brother and his love for the CJ and Wrangler series Jeeps, I can imagine what it looks like in my head.
I believe he said it's the 4.0 engine - I'll have to double-check that, but it had a strange noise a month ago and he send me a cryptic video and asked what that sound was - not showing the Jeep at all, just the front radiator area (almost like he's hiding the rest of the Jeep!)
The sound - bad radiator cap letting the thing bubble and boil when hot and hissing out the cap. It was literally a bubbling sound. I suspect a good cap finished off the radiator that was already ready to go now that I think of it.

It's a TJ now for a radiator most auto parts stores have them in stock. I'm on #3. OEM started to leak after 10-11 years. In to Advance Auto or the other in stock.... But it leaked from time I got it.🙄 Few years back I broke down got a "high quality" aftermarket aluminum one for mine, so now I'm smelling coolant when I drive it again.:facepalm:
So if done do flush first then hoses, T-stat radiator but plan on the heater core replacement too. It's a real PTA to do with one person. the A.C. has to be drained n refilled too. Mine went to leaking the winter after the OEM radiator. :headbang:
My LJ is a 05 but same for most parts
Now I know you know that already but maybe someone else reading this thread later. :like: :like::like:
I wish my wife would let me get something like an older Wrangler, especially with the 4.0 I have a complete 4.0 engine and controls, I have an experimental aluminum head for one.... oh, the fun I could have!!

Anyway, thanks to both - now I can talk to my brother like I know what I'm talking about HAHAHAHA - at least I know what he has! I swear, he's hiding the thing from me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
He just confirmed via text - TJ, 4.0
He's talking about driving it to a shop - I warned him, with no pressure, and the Waukee and West Des Moines traffic and LIGHTS, it may get hot and boil.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Here's what I learned on a 4.0 Jeep once. The auto parts stores get $200-300 for a 3 core radiator. eBay sells 4 core radiators for $40. I ordered the eBay one and was shocked at the quality. Never had an issue with it. That was the day I learned just how much auto parts store mark up items...and it explains why there are auto parts stores popping up on every street corner. They're getting filthy rich!

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I had two TJs ('01 and '06) the '01 overheated one day when my GF (now wife) was driving it and it cracked almost in the exact same spot. She said it was shooting steam everywhere (I bet) so I brought a jug of water and limped it back to my place. I replaced the whole radiator for around $200 at the time in my garage. Those radiators are a plastic tank with a aluminum core so fairly inexpensive and also why they crack so easily. BTW it was the same radiator for the 2.5L and the 4.0L.

MoxiesDad

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2014 Jeep Patriot
Occupation
Maintenance Mechanic
Well it appears the original radiator lasted 16 years, so go with Mopar OEM radiator. That's what the TJ forums will tell you. Many people have tried the all aluminum radiators and found that they leaked/poorly built. If you can't get the OEM, then go with a NAPA oem replacement. Stay away from AutoZone with lifetime warranty, you'll be changing it out regularly during your lifetime.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Here's what I learned on a 4.0 Jeep once. The auto parts stores get $200-300 for a 3 core radiator. eBay sells 4 core radiators for $40. I ordered the eBay one and was shocked at the quality. Never had an issue with it. That was the day I learned just how much auto parts store mark up items...and it explains why there are auto parts stores popping up on every street corner. They're getting filthy rich!
A three row core radiator is plenty.
If you've ever ordered a radiator and had it leak out of the box - you'd be thankful for a local store to swap it, and not deal with shipping to an ebay seller.
You don't know my brother LOL.
(I know it's picky, it's OCD, even anal - but radiators have one core ;-) Again, in case someone is looking on)

Anyway, I had a radiator leak right off the bat. I was really glad all I had to do is take it back and they handed me another one. Some items I'll do ebait, others, meh, there's a convenience factor.

My brother wants to have someone fix his Jeep. I won't even suggest anything where he has to turn a screwdriver - which is ODD because he's the one that helped me paint my vehicles years ago, he did his own tune-ups and swapped the starter on his Javelin years ago - but today, it's like he's mechanically declined.

Well it appears the original radiator lasted 16 years, so go with Mopar OEM radiator. That's what the TJ forums will tell you. Many people have tried the all aluminum radiators and found that they leaked/poorly built. If you can't get the OEM, then go with a NAPA oem replacement. Stay away from AutoZone with lifetime warranty, you'll be changing it out regularly during your lifetime.
About 2012 or so I put a part store radiator in my SX4. It was a 3 row core radiator made in Korea. It was IDENTICAL to the original, I mean side-by-side you could not tell the difference. It was a drop-in fit, perfect, and it's still in there today, more than 33,000 miles later. The first one I bought from them was made in Mexico and it leaked right off the bat.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'd bet you fellers know this, but RockAuto is your friend. Has kept me on the road for years.

TJ Radiators for ~$70 and up.
I refuse to order anything from them other than hard to find brake parts - then I only buy Wagoner, Bendix or other name brand NEW parts. I have a couple of stories about RA - so no, won't buy something like that from them - besides, this is my BROTHER. He wants to take it to a shop and get it fixed. Not sit and order parts and do it himself.
I have parts sitting here from RA that I got stuck with, WRONG parts but because their supplier said they were correct, sorry, no return. I proved they were not correct, but their supplier said they were so I was stung. Like Harbor Freight - you gotta watch what you buy.
I tried to save money by buying my Javelin suspension parts from RA - bushings - cost me over 22 bucks in shipping because none of their suppliers had them all - so they were shipped from 3 locations and I had to pay UPS shipping from all locations - UPS shipping on a part that will fit in your pocket is crazy. Burned again. O'Reilly had the same things cheaper when I factored in shipping, I found out later.
I have a history with RA and it's not all good.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Mopar radiator. Its a single row with an aluminum core.

About $200 for a manual and about $300 for an auto.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mopar radiator. Its a single row with an aluminum core.

About $200 for a manual and about $300 for an auto.
Isn't that price difference goofy? There's almost nothing to the auto version other than a simple basic cooling coil in the bottom tank.

I gave my brother the info - I said do a new radiator, don't mess with it - new hoses, new cap, new stat and said he could contact Advance, etc. or a Jeep dealer, his choice, his money.

So I think he's got enough information to make a choice now. I told him GET IT TOWED (on a truck) don't drive it!

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I refuse to order anything from them other than hard to find brake parts - then I only buy Wagoner, Bendix or other name brand NEW parts. I have a couple of stories about RA - so no, won't buy something like that from them - besides, this is my BROTHER. He wants to take it to a shop and get it fixed. Not sit and order parts and do it himself.
I have parts sitting here from RA that I got stuck with, WRONG parts but because their supplier said they were correct, sorry, no return. I proved they were not correct, but their supplier said they were so I was stung. Like Harbor Freight - you gotta watch what you buy.
I tried to save money by buying my Javelin suspension parts from RA - bushings - cost me over 22 bucks in shipping because none of their suppliers had them all - so they were shipped from 3 locations and I had to pay UPS shipping from all locations - UPS shipping on a part that will fit in your pocket is crazy. Burned again. O'Reilly had the same things cheaper when I factored in shipping, I found out later.
I have a history with RA and it's not all good.
Ouch. I like RA because they stock everything, even if it's not organized in the right spot. Case in point was that they were the only ones to carry a brass heater core without swivel connections when I needed one for the dodge. They also carry lots of good NOS parts just in general.

But sure, RA can be a lot like eBay - you gotta be willing to eat the cost if it doesn't work out.
Sponsored