Anyone have a rattle under the JT

Scratch

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Gator, 2019 JL Mojave Bikini, 2011 JK Sport
I hear a rattle every time I hit a rough spot in the rode? I have been under the Jeep several times with a mallet. It almost sounds like the spare tire is loose.
The emergency brake lines were definitely one source.
Anyone have a rattle issue and find where it came from?
Thanks
Scratch
Sponsored

iammacey

First Name
Macey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Fiesta ST, Gladiator LE
Did you check the jack under the rear seat just to see if that's projecting and sounds like it's under the vehicle?

Montytrmpt

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I hear a rattle and I'm not sure what it is. It sounds like it's coming from underneath, but it might also be pinging. I can hear it best when the window is down and I've just gone over a speedbump. I agree the emergency brake cables could be a source. There's a foam sleeve around them, but one doesn't go down far enough and the cable can rattle against the frame. I meant to check my spare yesterday. I once had one that was a little loose and it would rub and squeak.

I had the dealer fix a popping/tinging sound when I made sharp, low speed turns to the right - turned out to be the ball joints. They'll see me soon for the rattle.

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I hear a rattle every time I hit a rough spot in the rode? I have been under the Jeep several times with a mallet. It almost sounds like the spare tire is loose.
Thanks
Scratch
That's usually where I keep my Taco friends when they make fun of my JT, so can't help,....jk, I tell my Taco friends they are not welcome anywhere near my JT, lol

willemlock

First Name
Willem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator, 1998 TJ 1947, CJ2-A Willys
I had a slight rattle and it turned out to be my factory cross bar holding the skid plate. Tightened the bolts and perfect now.

Sponsored

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, TJ
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks
Scratch
Had a rattle. Dealer claimed they tightened straps/bolts on all heat shields - exhaust and the one that protects the spare tire. Rattle now gone. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Scratch

Scratch

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had a rattle. Dealer claimed they tightened straps/bolts on all heat shields - exhaust and the one that protects the spare tire. Rattle now gone. Hope that helps.
Heat shields may definitely be source. There are a lot of heat shielding to rattle under this truckThe cross member as well.
I will have to check the cross member as well.
I almost think the gas tank skid plate may have some as well. It is hard to tell.

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Check your exhaust. All the way through. I've damaged my exhaust before. Rattled against the frame. Another, on my Mustang. Only during startup.

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
physician
same rattle, I went under and it is the parking brake lines, they are installed correctly just that they can shake in the bracket that they are in....I figure I will put some padding in or around the part that taps on the bracket (they have hard rubber around them now because they are meant to shake back and forth there but softer rubber might be better)

Jack Coleman

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2016 JKUR
I had rattle. One was heat shield, the other was behind pass rear tire. The is a bracket with a electrical connector on top. That thing was making alot of noise

Sponsored

OP
OP
Scratch

Scratch

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank Jack I'll have to look at that one

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
physician
I had rattle. One was heat shield, the other was behind pass rear tire. The is a bracket with a electrical connector on top. That thing was making alot of noise

I’ll check that too....parking brake cables didn’t get rid of all of it

OP
OP
Scratch

Scratch

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Occupation
Retired
I chased a rattle in my jtr for almost a year. Finally found it the other day. (Embarrassing disclosure follows) I installed an Iron Rock 2" spacer lift (GREAT kit!) and assumed the rattle was from the spacers. Wrong. I went around with a big ass breaker bar and retightened the control arm bolts. Rattle disappeared. Turns out, when they are tight, they aren't tight enough. When they say torque 'em...they MEAN it. I'm 65 and my brute force/stupidity days are gone. I kept the stupidity part though....
Check your control arm bolts....
If you're wimpy (like me), tell the wife you need a new, full set of control arms and some new wheels. She'll tighten your nuts up for ya....

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 GC Trailhawk
Occupation
I.T. Architect
Actually just found this thread, after hearing a slight rattle/squeak/ping when going over small uneven surfaces in the road at low speeds.

4400 miles, and 3 months I to ownership, so obviously going to have the dealer look at it.

The best way I can describe it, is almost like a mouse "squeak" when I hit any sort of uneven road at 25-35mph. If it was an older vehicle, I'd swear it was a strut/shock creaking.

Hopefully, the dealership can isolate it, when I take it in for it's first checkup :)

~ Casp
Sponsored