Sponsored

Anyone install rear air bags to help prevent squatting while towing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelArmorNY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Tundra Crewmax, Indian Springfield Dark Horse
Title says it all. Has anyone installed or felt the need to install airbags to help prevent rear squat while towing? Why or why not?
Sponsored

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator LE, '17 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Principal
Have you tried a weight distribution hitch? I used one on a mid-size truck I had and worked really well for keeping it level.

DirtyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I had a set of Airlift 1000 bags on the back of my Ram 1500, also used a WDH for my RV. I will be putting a set of airbags in the Gladiator at some point as well. The bags help, but they do not really distribute the weight, a heavier trailer will benefit greatly from a hitch.

OP
OP
AngelArmorNY

AngelArmorNY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Tundra Crewmax, Indian Springfield Dark Horse
  1. I use an equalizer weight distribution hitch with my fill size tundra. I mostly was curious if people felt that they needed air bags with their jt's. Some of the pictures I have seen show the glads squatting quite a bit even with small trailers.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
I have the Max Tow and the springs allow 720# tongue weight. I've seen the picture too of a few sagging.

Sponsored

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Most of the pictures i see of JT squatting is with a lift or non tow models that people put a hitch on. My max tow does not squat, but the heaviest I've had to yet has been about 3K on the car trailer.

nc3310

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 1500 Quad Sport
Title says it all. Has anyone installed or felt the need to install airbags to help prevent rear squat while towing? Why or why not?
I've used them in the past on various other vehicles with good results. Haven't needed them with the Gladiator yet. Probably will once I level or lift the Gladiator but right now at stock setting she handles my 4500 poundish mini toy hauler with ease.

IMG_8148.jpg

nc3310

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 1500 Quad Sport
PS... unloaded I have a 2" rake. Hooked up I squat 1.5" so I'm still a little tail high. The camper handles well in this configuration.

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
My rubicon squats a little more than I want with my 4700 lb travel trailer and I am adding airbags. Should arrive next week so will report back.

Combolc

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Toyota 4runner
My rubicon squats a little more than I want with my 4700 lb travel trailer and I am adding airbags. Should arrive next week so will report back.

I have a loaded around 4500lbs and have a equilizer distribution hitch and I dont see much squat at all on max tow

Sponsored

johanns07

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I would recommend bags only after you have the right weight distribution hitch setup and tailored to the setup. I recently acquired our JT max tow, coming from a Tundra. I realized my WDH wasn't adequate at 600lbs after many attempts to level my camper. Today I installed an Equalizer setup and got it perfect. I won't even need bags.

Attached are pictures of my scale results and the two hooked up.

FB5A9DB7-54EC-49A1-A041-179B0B725FD4.jpeg

475A6FA2-6745-47F3-A735-2DACF0A4B6D5.jpeg

B459C329-7A2B-4062-A0FE-5027E9FBBBE4.jpeg

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I am thinking about air bags mainly for adjusting the ride height when loaded with cargo. I also believe that balance is important so a weight distribution hitch is the best bet. With my Decked, supplies and loaded up Dometic CFX95 cooler I get a decent amount of squat and I’m getting tired of all of the bright light flashes

nc3310

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 1500 Quad Sport
I am thinking about air bags mainly for adjusting the ride height when loaded with cargo. I also believe that balance is important so a weight distribution hitch is the best bet. With my Decked, supplies and loaded up Dometic CFX95 cooler I get a decent amount of squat and I’m getting tired of all of the bright light flashes
Yes, air bags would be perfect for you then. Too often people use them to balance an overload truck/camper combination and then complain when the set up doesn't work. But to balance a reasonable load they work great to restore a level, safe ride.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
The only problem I am having is getting a straight answer as to which Air Lift springs I need. I have an LE with 2 inch Mopar lift and 37s and they do not have anything listed on the website that would fit properly. Then I watched the Gladiator install video and the kit comes with a spacer for the top of the air bag. I have reached out to them about what bag I need but they are yet to respond.

BreakFixRepeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Just wondering what air bags people are using. I just drove from West Virginia to San diego in a stock Rubicon. Bed was fully loaded. Had enough weight in the bed to about level the truck but did notice some high beam flashes and on some of the Interstates across Utah had some pretty big dips that made the rear suspension bottom out. Only had maybe 5-600#s in the bed if that. What bags would work with off roading and a lift in the future?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.