Sponsored

Anyone just upgrade to rubicon fox shocks and not springs?

Tony F

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Hi everyone…new guy here. I’ve searched the forums and didn’t see anyone with this question so here goes. I have a new 2021 max tow that I just bought Rubicon takeoff shocks for. Has anybody just installed the shocks without Rubicon springs? I’m putting in a teraflex leveling kit so the 1.5” increase in the front will be similar height as if I used the rubi springs. Didn’t want to mess with the max tow rear springs and wanted the “better” shocks. Also heard rubicon front springs can be a little stiff. What can I expect in ride quality change with just rubi shocks? Mall crawler for now until the newness wears off 😆Thanks!
Sponsored

Doomishere

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Teacher
@Tony F
Hey man, I wish there was answers to this! This is something I am interested in doing myself. Have you had any progress on this?

OP
OP
Tony F

Tony F

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Tony F
Hey man, I wish there was answers to this! This is something I am interested in doing myself. Have you had any progress on this?
I Did it and it rides better IMO…rubicon front springs will give you some lift but from what I heard will stiffen the ride, which I wasn’t looking to do.

Doomishere

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Teacher
Awesome thanks for the info! Im really tempted to do it... I have a levelling kit in the front so I think it would work well with my truck. I do hate the stiff ride though. My JK had fox shocks and drove like a damn horse and buggy.

OP
OP
Tony F

Tony F

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome thanks for the info! Im really tempted to do it... I have a levelling kit in the front so I think it would work well with my truck. I do hate the stiff ride though. My JK had fox shocks and drove like a damn horse and buggy.
I have the teraflex leveling kit with the rubicon fox shocks and it drives better than stock.

Sponsored

Binfordtools

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Willys
Occupation
Automotive Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Just this week I added some take-off Fox shocks from a Rubicon to my Willys with a 2" spacer lift and 35" tires. The front ride isn't that much different but there is a noticable difference in the rear. A bit less "bounce" and skipping on curves where there is cracks/uneven pavement on the road. I bought a used set with 2000ish miles on them. Low risk from a cost standpoint and there is some ride-quality improvements, so I am happy.

Jeep Gladiator Anyone just upgrade to rubicon fox shocks and not springs? 1627563951894

jorbasaurus

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT
Occupation
HRIS Consulting
I swapped a full JTR suspension into my overland and agree with all of the above sentiments/assumptions.

Shocks give the back of the truck a more grounded feel, springs gave it about an inch of lift up front and .5 in the back. While overall the ride does feel ‘stiffer’ thank stock, I’m a big fan of the change, the overland stock suspension felt especially floaty.

chithead

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Did this to our 2020 Sport - plus the upgraded Fox steering stabilizer. Definitely noticeable versus the stock shocks and stabilizer. Body roll is definitely reduced, and seems to hold the line better, especially around curves.

teamblkdog

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
christykintzel.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Alu-Cab Canopy Camper
Occupation
visual designer
I have a 2021 Sport S with tow package (NOT max tow) and and Alu-Cab canopy camper. I swapped in Rubicon Fox shocks and added Timbren SES rear bump stops. I've found the ride to be much softer, resulting in harsh bottom-outs in the rear when going over bumps that I didn't feel when stock. I'm researching lifts/coils with higher spring weight and adding a Hellwig rear sway bar.
Sponsored