First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Grand Cherokee and 1954 Willys
Occupation
Retired
I am planning to buy some recovery equipment. But before I do, I would like to know the capacities of the front and rear tow hooks (Rubicon). Additional, what if I use a Reece hitch tow shackle, what max weight can I pull with it. If I buy a recovery strap that is rated 2 to 3 times the weight of the Gladiator will a single tow points handle the weight. Lastly, any recommendations on specific recovery equipment would be appreciated.
Sponsored

whatevah

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.whatevah.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
Occupation
EMT
I don't know the specs you're looking for, but consider this... if you're towing a 6,000lb disabled vehicle, you're not actually using 6,000lb of force. You're only using enough force to overcome the rolling resistance that weight puts on the tires, at least for flat ground... on hills, it will increase but never to the full 6,000lbs. Fwiw, most of the standard 3/4" shackles (7/8" pin) have a 4.75 ton working load limit, and a breaking limit 4 times that. When I worked in the industry, I would recommend a recovery strap (not a tow strap) with a ~20,000lb rating. The bigger ones wouldn't stretch as much and were less effective and put more shock into the vehicles. ARB was THE best back in the day, but now the kinetic recovery ropes are an excellent alternative.

The stock tow hooks and the receiver hitch will easily handle the stress of recovering a stuck vehicle even if you yanked on a F350 buried in the mud.

Btw, I would suggest getting a cheap Keeper or whatever 30' tow/recovery strap to supplement your recovery/yank strap. If you ever have to tow a disabled vehicle, use the tow strap so you don't destroy the good strap when it inevitably gets run over by the tires of the dead vehicle. I ruined my 30' ARB recovery strap lending a hand to a hydrolocked vehicle in Moab a few years ago.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I don't know the specs you're looking for, but consider this... if you're towing a 6,000lb disabled vehicle, you're not actually using 6,000lb of force. You're only using enough force to overcome the rolling resistance that weight puts on the tires, at least for flat ground... on hills, it will increase but never to the full 6,000lbs. Fwiw, most of the standard 3/4" shackles (7/8" pin) have a 4.75 ton working load limit, and a breaking limit 4 times that. When I worked in the industry, I would recommend a recovery strap (not a tow strap) with a ~20,000lb rating. The bigger ones wouldn't stretch as much and were less effective and put more shock into the vehicles. ARB was THE best back in the day, but now the kinetic recovery ropes are an excellent alternative.

The stock tow hooks and the receiver hitch will easily handle the stress of recovering a stuck vehicle even if you yanked on a F350 buried in the mud.

Btw, I would suggest getting a cheap Keeper or whatever 30' tow/recovery strap to supplement your recovery/yank strap. If you ever have to tow a disabled vehicle, use the tow strap so you don't destroy the good strap when it inevitably gets run over by the tires of the dead vehicle. I ruined my 30' ARB recovery strap lending a hand to a hydrolocked vehicle in Moab a few years ago.
and if it is stuck, like in mud?

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations

Sounds like you have some time in the field. I alway find that time in the field beats time in a classroom.

What do you think about the new snatch blocks that they are running with the soft shackles? I am skeptical of the price and the longevity of the shackle. Without the soft shackle is the new snatch block worthless?

whatevah

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.whatevah.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
Occupation
EMT
and if it is stuck, like in mud?
If what's stuck in the mud? My theoretical 6000lb vehicle? I already said that the stock recovery points and hitch will handle yanking on a buried F350... the shock load of a Gladiator at 15mph is far more than 6000lbs. That's why the recovery straps are rated for ~20,000lbs, and also why you want a recovery strap so it'll stretch. I've seen way too many of the cheap "tow ropes" snapping when used trying to yank out a stuck vehicle.

Go offroading enough and you'll see situations where a vehicle is so stuck that you can't even winch it out without securing the winch vehicle to a big tree or 2 other vehicles and you can hear the winch straining. That's a lot of force on the tow point of the stuck vehicle. They make them strong, knowing that we're going to abuse them. :)

Sponsored

whatevah

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.whatevah.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
Occupation
EMT
What do you think about the new snatch blocks that they are running with the soft shackles? I am skeptical of the price and the longevity of the shackle. Without the soft shackle is the new snatch block worthless?
The ring pulley style things? You need to use low-friction accessories with those, so you really have to use a soft shackle or you'll wear them out. I'm still using steel winch cable (I know the downsides, but it's much stronger when it comes to routing it over boulders and such, and the lifespan is better) so I just use a standard snatch block. If you're using synthetic rope on your winch, I'd definitely think about the soft shackle with the new pulley style snatch blocks. Longevity shouldn't be an issues for the pulley, as long as it's from a reputable company, the issue in my mind is that they're extremely easy to copy overseas with poor quality components. The soft shackles will last a while as long as you keep the sand out of them and don't leave them in the sun.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
The ring pulley style things? You need to use low-friction accessories with those, so you really have to use a soft shackle or you'll wear them out. I'm still using steel winch cable (I know the downsides, but it's much stronger when it comes to routing it over boulders and such, and the lifespan is better) so I just use a standard snatch block. If you're using synthetic rope on your winch, I'd definitely think about the soft shackle with the new pulley style snatch blocks. Longevity shouldn't be an issues for the pulley, as long as it's from a reputable company, the issue in my mind is that they're extremely easy to copy overseas with poor quality components. The soft shackles will last a while as long as you keep the sand out of them and don't leave them in the sun.
Thanks for the insight. I appreciate your time and knowledge my friend.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I agree with most of what’s been said.
If you are interested in learning more about recovery there is a YouTube channel from a guy in Utah who is very good about getting people unstuck.
The videos are also very entertaining and it’s amazing what we pulls out with his Cherokee..
Here’s an example..

Sponsored