Sponsored

Anyone removed the auto dimming rearview mirror?

User_Name

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator on order.
I’ve by complete accident figured out how to remove the mirror it’s self. But I’m unsure if the power cable comes out of the mirror or is just a pigtail that runs into the headliner somewhere. Any insight?

Planning on doing away with it altogether or buying one of the simpler mirrors that can be flipped.
Sponsored

OP
OP

User_Name

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator on order.
Auto dim mirror is one of the few options that are mandatory for me. Can't take mine away.
I would prefer to leave it, but it blocks a lot of my vision and I’m already tired of ducking and looking under it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I would prefer to leave it, but it blocks a lot of my vision and I’m already tired of ducking and looking under it.
You are either a bird watcher, or are taller than I am.
Just messing around - I guess it's never really bothered me and I've driven vehicles that had far worse mirrors - such as those that only show a fraction of what's back there or that blind you at night even when in night mode.
One other person here mentioned about that stuff being in the way - found out yeah, to ME anyway, pretty tall.

marcwithac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow
What's this about? You want to have no rear view mirror?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What's this about? You want to have no rear view mirror?
Some states require them regardless of having left or right outside mirrors.
So I'd doubt that was the goal - otherwise it would not be legal in a number of states.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

User_Name

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator on order.
No riddle guys, I’m tall and the current mirror blocks my line of sight. Would rather do with out the mirror over not seeing outside the windshield.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No riddle guys, I’m tall and the current mirror blocks my line of sight. Would rather do with out the mirror over not seeing outside the windshield.
Lucky -KS requires only two mirrors, inside mirror not required as long as you have two mirrors. So the left and right would qualify (but avoid Iowa)

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
You can flip it, just need to grind off the tabs inside the ball joint that line it up when in the oem position. There is a thread on mirror flipping.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You can flip it, just need to grind off the tabs inside the ball joint that line it up when in the oem position. There is a thread on mirror flipping.
That will be the next bit tiktok challenge, or perhaps a TV show right after house flipping - mirror flipping..............

Seriously, someone could come up with a kit for tall people.
Is this just a Jeep thing or do those who are vertically endowed have issues with other vehicles?
I'm not poking fun - I am really curious if this is just a Jeep design thing or what. I can't say I've seen or heard of this problem before (and obstructed vision is a problem - and if people WANT to see an area they should be able to)
Do other trucks or SUVs present this issue to people of physical stature?

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve by complete accident figured out how to remove the mirror it’s self. But I’m unsure if the power cable comes out of the mirror or is just a pigtail that runs into the headliner somewhere. Any insight?

Planning on doing away with it altogether or buying one of the simpler mirrors that can be flipped.
If you downgrade there is a “fix” so you don’t have to flip it and loose the night driving paddle usage.

12B3ED94-90D6-49D4-A1B7-F911D1CAB4A1.jpeg

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
That will be the next bit tiktok challenge, or perhaps a TV show right after house flipping - mirror flipping..............

Seriously, someone could come up with a kit for tall people.
Is this just a Jeep thing or do those who are vertically endowed have issues with other vehicles?
I'm not poking fun - I am really curious if this is just a Jeep design thing or what. I can't say I've seen or heard of this problem before (and obstructed vision is a problem - and if people WANT to see an area they should be able to)
Do other trucks or SUVs present this issue to people of physical stature?
The standard mirror in the JL was a big issue for me and my wife, WAY too low, so I flipped it.
The day/night paddle still works, its just on top and admittedly a little more futzy to use.

The auto mirror on the JT is passable, wouldn't mind it a bit higher, but unlike the JL not a necessity to fix.

At 6'-5" cant remember the mirror being an issue on any other vehicle except for my Miata.
I did have to monkey with it, but it has the ability to move a lot and I could get it to work without modifications.

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S. Max Tow.
Vehicle Showcase