Sponsored

Anyone removed the exhaust resonator yet?

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Just wondering if anyone has removed the resonator yet? There are a bunch of threads on the JL forum about it but nothing on this forum about just removing the resonator and leaving the stock muffler. I am considering cutting the exhaust just before it reaches the spare tire area and installing a turn-down tip. The Gladiator is setup to do this unlike the Wrangler where there was no easy option other than removing the muffler and retaining the resonator. If anyone has done this let me know what it sounds like...otherwise I'll prolly be the Guinea pig in the next week or two.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lynn_F

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Update: Deleted the resonator today and it really didn't do much sound wise. I'll get some better pics tomorrow and hopefully a video too.

20190905_204030.jpg

20190905_203927.jpg

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, E36 BMW M3, E92 BMW M3
On this little motor the cats probably muffle most of the exhaust noise. Since it's not a high performance mill with high compression and aggressive cams the exhaust note probably isn't really all that high in volume right at the header/manifold. With that said, the cats most likely soak up the bulk of the sound. If you really want to up the db level of your exhaust, ditch the cats. However, the exhaust will stink.

OP
OP
Lynn_F

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I mostly just wanted to physically get rid of the resonator because I didn't like the way it looked and hoped that it would give a little additional sound. I cant tell that it did anything to increase sound...which is fine, I'm just not sure why it's even there. I did finally get time to install a turn-down tip on it!

20190909_081339.jpg

Rayzzz

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I've been wondering the same thing about cutting off the resonator . Thanks for the information. I haven't been finding very many pictures of an exhaust tip to make it look better. I did removed the resonator on my Chevrolet Avalanche and it made a nice exhaust note which I really liked.

My Jeep likes my money

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting video - thanks for posting it MoparDave. He cut the pipe and removed the muffler and the other "can" and then reattached the rear resonator which shortened his exhaust system considerably.

Here's an underside pic from JEEP showing the stock exhaust system:
2020-jeep-gladiator-capability-skid-plates-jpg-image-1440-jpg.jpg

Kendog689

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I tried both and the big muffler is gone and sound is nicer than stock for $ 7 in parts.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I tried both and the big muffler is gone and sound is nicer than stock for $ 7 in parts.
You removed both the large muffler and the rear resonator?

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
I mostly just wanted to physically get rid of the resonator because I didn't like the way it looked and hoped that it would give a little additional sound. I cant tell that it did anything to increase sound...which is fine, I'm just not sure why it's even there. I did finally get time to install a turn-down tip on it!

20190909_081339.jpg
As others have noted, need to get rid of both baffles to hear a difference. I like the Sawzall idea!!!

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

20190909_081339.jpg
Do you know the diameter so I can go buy a tip for it? Thanks

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
OP
OP
Lynn_F

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know the diameter so I can go buy a tip for it? Thanks
I want to say the pipe is 2.5" OD which would make the tip 2.5" ID...its been awhile since I did this and I dont remember exactly.

Firemedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler, 2020 Jeep gladiator
Occupation
Firefighter paramedic
Hey man in the video you said the check engine light could come on from cutting the exhaust. Have you had any problems with that since you did it? I want to do the same but I’m worried about constantly having to deal with a sensor throwing a code ore something.
Sponsored