First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I currently have 35’s...
I have the max tow package
I upgraded to rubicon fox shocks and a 2.5 front level and 3/4 rear level.

wheel is a 17...

I like my 35’s but really considering 37’s

what will be my disadvantage if I went with them?
Sponsored

OP
OP
DylanR

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Less towing capability. You already lost 20% with the 35s
sorry I don’t agree I have lost 20% towing ability by adding 35’s... May have lost a little but not 20%. I actually can’t tell a much of a difference in towing... especially if you have a properly equipped trailer. I would be willing to bet I have towed as much “weight” with my Gladiator as anyone on the forum.

28A33492-B5C9-4F87-AA17-1A883D2161EB.jpeg

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
sorry I don’t agree I have lost 20% towing ability by adding 35’s... May have lost a little but not 20%. I actually can’t tell a much of a difference in towing... especially if you have a properly equipped trailer. I would be willing to bet I have towed as much “weight” with my Gladiator as anyone on the forum.

28A33492-B5C9-4F87-AA17-1A883D2161EB.jpeg
That’s cool. It is opposite what everyone else on this and other forums have told me. There are a couple threads on lifts/tire size and towing. A couple things I learned from them.

The Max Tow package has different rearsprings from both the standard Sport and Rubicon. They are bigger, as I have compare the two from takeoffs side by side.
Someone claiming to have been told from the engineer for FCA responsible for designing the towing features said (and thus heresay) that the tire size plays the biggest role in tow capacity

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Disadvantages? Longer emergency braking distance, decreased acceleration, more potential liability in a crash, decreased fuel economy, shorter brake pad life, shorter ball joint life, shorter oil change intervals, slightly higher trans. and differential fluid temps. during operation, may not fit some parking garages anymore, harder for the wife to climb into..... you could go all day if you're looking for reasons not to keep going bigger.

At the end of the day it comes down to what makes you smile when you turn around and look at it again.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DylanR

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I agree it does play a big factor... I just do not feel personally I have lost 20% towing capacity. I am sure I have lost some... but not 20%.

just my opinion based on towing my boat completely stock and towing after adding 35’s.

OP
OP
DylanR

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Yes I agree with more wear and tear and that is expected... just curious what members have done or how their gladiator felt after adding 37’s

OP
OP
DylanR

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I understand what mechanics would have to say... I’m just curious how it actually felt to someone... and that would be subjective as well as everyone would have their own opinion.

we sure see a lot of 37’s and some haven’t regeared for it. All depends on their application and use of their gladiator I would think?

Boise_Brandon

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Gator (on order) 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Mopar parts manager
37 is 19% larger then your stock size. Then add rotational weight of my 100lb wheel tire combo over 55lb stock wheel tire... times 4
Yes it effects it more then 20%. Time or energy getting into figuring it out? no. But i bet its closer to 40%. My boat trailer is close to 4k lbs. i would wager that i would be about the same stopping and accelerating distance with a stock JT with 7500 lbs.. meaning its nearly cut in half.. #changemymind but the boat trailer has its own brakes so that could help with stopping...

View attachment 49413
upload_2019-12-5_8-42-15.png

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I currently have 35’s...
I have the max tow package
I upgraded to rubicon fox shocks and a 2.5 front level and 3/4 rear level.

wheel is a 17...

I like my 35’s but really considering 37’s

what will be my disadvantage if I went with them?
I have done this type of moves with previous vehicles a decade ago or so with my Prostar 205. There is a point where you go too far with the lift and/or tires and you lose performance. I do not think you hit that yet with 35's, because the Jeep JT with the automatic tranny is kind of engineered for these types of "one size" up tire changes, however, with the 37s, things might change drastically -- gearing may be too far off, stress too much, engine is still a V6 and not a V8, etc.... It may make a huge difference while towing your boat and not so much when not towing it, so, be careful.

DylanR -- Great rig and setup by the way. Love it ! Note: I used to barefoot a lot -- footers, lol... but, now a few decades later, my shoulders hurt, lol....

Last edited:

Sponsored

smoverland

First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self-Employed
Yes I agree with more wear and tear and that is expected... just curious what members have done or how their gladiator felt after adding 37’s
I can't comment on towing, but I can respond to this ^. Aside from the obvious disadvantages pointed out in this thread, the actual driving dynamics of the JT remain very similar when moving to 37s (or 38s, in my case). The 4.10s of the Max Tow paired with the 8-speed transmission handle the weight quite well in regular driving. Depending on where you live (elevation, grades, etc.), you may feel a little more impact. Here (Tennessee), I still spend a lot of time in 8th gear on the highway and average nearly 20mpg when highway driving. Mixed driving, I see about 16.5. This isn't conjecture; this is 8,000 miles of observation.

Yes, your JT will see some decrease in overall efficiency and performance, but the observable difference is not as drastic as some would have you believe. At the end of the day, it really does come down to what you like and what you plan to do with your JT. Personally, the bigger size was worth the (what I view as minimal) sacrifices. If you tow frequently, it may not be.

DSC_1080.jpg

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
An automotive engineer explained to me once that the only time large tires really hurt you is when you're accelerating from a stop or when you're trying to stop from highway speed. He said that while cruising, the added leverage and weight of the tires actually is the force that helps them keep spinning. Makes sense to me. It's physics. "An object in motion wants to stay in motion." So the additional horsepower required to spin 37s down the road at 55 MPH vs. 33s is not nearly as much as you might think. Very little actually.

Taking off or trying to stop...that's where it hurts.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
An automotive engineer explained to me once that the only time large tires really hurt you is when you're accelerating from a stop or when you're trying to stop from highway speed. He said that while cruising, the added leverage and weight of the tires actually is the force that helps them keep spinning. Makes sense to me. It's physics. "An object in motion wants to stay in motion." So the additional horsepower required to spin 37s down the road at 55 MPH vs. 33s is not nearly as much as you might think. Very little actually.

Taking off or trying to stop...that's where it hurts.
Spot on. If you go to any RV forum most who pull an RV go to larger tires. The advantages are better mpg, longer tire life, longer bearing life and once moving easier on the engine and transmission and a nicer ride. The disadvantages stop and go, mountain driving and more brake wear. It comes down to you can`t have your cake and eat it too, if you tow once in awhile going to larger tires should not be a concern.

Regarding lifts the top manufactures build springs that match the OEM load rates so that is not a concern but a lift will affect mpg no getting around it.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I understand what mechanics would have to say... I’m just curious how it actually felt to someone... and that would be subjective as well as everyone would have their own opinion.

we sure see a lot of 37’s and some haven’t regeared for it. All depends on their application and use of their gladiator I would think?
A couple local owners I have met who put 37s on their Max Tow JTs said the loss of power/towing was felt to such an extent that they abandoned the idea of tow capacity ratings, put in Mopar lifts, and now use them as off-roading vehicles with more (but an unknown amount) of towing capability. I picked up an entire suspension system from one of them for $50 because they said the 37s were just such a drag on the engine and they didn't feel they could tow the same 7650lbs as before

I went ahead and sent an email to Jeep asking what the documented affect would be from their engineers

smoverland

First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self-Employed
There are numerous threads (and even more YouTube videos) of people with 37s+ towing campers and the like at elevation and through areas with substantial grades. Some think there is enough power considering the innate limitations of a midsize truck. Others probably don't.

For example:
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/towing-my-geopro-on-a-4-5”-lift-and-37’s.20112/

So, maybe some feel the loss of power is too substantial, maybe others feel another way. At the end of the day, I guess it comes down to your personal feelings about it -- feelings you can only have in theory unless you've actually done it.

Until information comes from an official source (which seems unlikely to happen, but fingers crossed), experiential knowledge outweighs academic knowledge on this topic, in my opinion.
Sponsored