Anyone running bone stock?

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Mods are so tempting and they make your Jeep your own, but for those of us who are keeping it stock: for how long? and why? And what limitations have you run into vs. a modified Jeep?
Sponsored

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Mods are so tempting and they make your Jeep your own, but for those of us who are keeping it stock: for how long? and why? And what limitations have you run into vs. a modified Jeep?
I decided to not lift. I know the limitations but love the ride from stock suspension. Not knowing what improvement that have been made in the aftermarket all I can go by is the terrible ride I had after lifting my TJ only 3 inches and do not want to duplicate that experience. I did go Rubicon this time and already started with more and better underside armor for the trails and will probably go with 35's and if a trail calls for more I will just need to pass on it, it will mean staying with ratings of trails no higher than a 3 or possibly a 4 but I'm good with that

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Keeping mine stock until it is paid off. And even then, I have no interest in rock crawling so it will probably remain mostly stock.

By stock I consider anything that could be ordered from the factory or external accessories. For example, my JT didn't come with rails so I added some Mopar rock sliders. I will put on a winch eventually, but that is easily removed.

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray
Got a Rubicon, leasing it. Spent most of my funds on getting that itself lol.

Doing minor mods like tint, steps, tonneau, sunrider, antenna. Holding off on wheels/tires/lift. I told convinced myself to get Rubi to 'futureproof' it. Plan on keeping it for 10 years, gonna take my time and make sure I don't go broke in a few years messing with mods.

Will almost definitely get 35s when the 33s wear out. Keep wanting to upgrade but it is really not needed right now, I don't have an extra $1k for two inches.

Sooner addons:
front bumper
winch
diode dynamics led turning signal
lights
nothing major

At least, I'm trying to stay good. I tend to impulse splurge so we'll see how long I last. I would really like to fill in that wheel well....my cousin with a JL is Cali has his rock crawler completely modded, looks badass and very tempting to copy.

Trying to get more money conscious, working on a family soon and what not....

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I have the Gladiator Rubicon manual with the upgraded rims and 33 inch mud tires. I have both the hard top and soft top. I plan to keep it stock with front factory steel bumper & winch guard. i will stay with 33 inch tires and only plan to add JCR Molle side panels into the bed complementing the stock tonneau cover. I also added 4 Quadratec door sills and 4 handles. The stock Rubicon suspension and tires and fine with me. I do 4 wheel quite a bit, but, the Rubicon can go anywhere I need to go.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jcor8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I'm keeping my Sport S stock except for larger tires after the originals wear out, maybe 33" or 34" Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I had a JK with a Daystar spacer kit and did not like the results, excessive bump steer. The only limitations are not being able to bump, dent and scrape up my brand new truck.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Sport S here. Keeping it stock for awhile. Running 33" BFG KO2's.

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
JTRLE and leaving it stock. Generally, I get as much done through the manufacturer as possible (larger wheels, upgraded sound, etc) limiting any need to go crazy in the aftermarket world. I did add the Mopar grab handles inside, a shorter antenna, door sill protection and all weather mats. Those aren't mods just convenience changes.

I prefer a clean look to my vehicles which is the major reason why I don't mod.

Being that this is my first jeep product I know the culture is different. However for me personally, I will stick to enjoying the creativity of others who do mod their Jeeps!

Radglad26

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JK Rubicon & 2017 JKU Sport & 2020 JT Gladiator Sport S
Keeping my Sport S pretty much stock except for Rubi suspension and 35's...it's my daily. Besides if I want to get crazy, I'll just get out the heavily modified JK lol.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Bone stock Rubicon here and this is why I went the route of a Rubicon. Its capability exceeds what I'll be getting into for the near future, but gives a bit of future proofing. I intend to use it as a truck with camping trips and the occasional dedicated wheeling weekend. It's plenty capable as is and like the size and road comfort (for what the vehicle is at least).

I may add some doo-dads that make things easier like dedicated phone storage, some bed storage solutions, possibly add a winch just in case, and would like to add a bed topper if a reasonable one comes out. Items that just make it more functional.

Now after I get the thing paid down, I may start turning it into a bit of a toy, but that's years down the line.

Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Mostly stock for now...just 37s. I have another jeep so I'm in no hurry...but I'll add a stubby bumper/winch and a lift eventually. Maybe gears.

ds.jpg

Marx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Firecracker Launch Edition
Occupation
Education
Keeping my LE stock. It has everything I need on it from the factory. At some point I might throw on 35s, sidesteps, or a winch, but not too likely.

Dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
I’m totally stock right now with the exception of a short antenna. I do plan on leveling it and running 35s in the next few months. I am moving across the country (NC to CA) in the new year and will need to tow my toy Jeep so I’m keeping it stock for that to help with efficiency a bit.

I will be getting darker window tint, tonneau cover, and a few other things before I start that move. But until then, I’m totally satisfied driving around my stock Sport S...even with the little baby tires.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
99% stock overland here. Only things I've added have been a K&N drop in air filter (actually did help a tiny bit), stone/bug guard on front (looks great, but got a bad chip after install), and an Amazon Tacoma tonneau cover.

One thing I will definitely change is the tires. The bridgestone street tires are actually fairly capable, but they just look silly on a jeep. Will look for a quiet riding AT tire (BFG K02's perhaps?). But I like the stock wheels and plan to keep those. I may consider a small lift down the road, but that's it. The vehicle actually meets all my needs stock though, so these few mods will be mostly be to make the vehicle look like I want.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
99% stock overland here. Only things I've added have been a K&N drop in air filter (actually did help a tiny bit), stone/bug guard on front (looks great, but got a bad chip after install), and an Amazon Tacoma tonneau cover.

One thing I will definitely change is the tires. The bridgestone street tires are actually fairly capable, but they just look silly on a jeep. Will look for a quiet riding AT tire (BFG K02's perhaps?). But I like the stock wheels and plan to keep those. I may consider a small lift down the road, but that's it. The vehicle actually meets all my needs stock though, so these few mods will be mostly be to make the vehicle look like I want.
I'm with him. I MAY go other tires because we get snow and I'm getting lazy about cleaning our long drive and I have to share a neighbors drive to get out from where I park my JT next to my shop, and he doesn't clear his up-hill gravel drive back to our shops either.
And we live out in the sticks, so our roads are among the last to be cleared. Otherwise, a bug shield on the front of the hood, a front receiver so I can use the truck to park my car hauler more easily (limited space to turn around and where I park the trailer next to my shop it's a big drop down from the drive. I've been unhooking from my other truck and using the lawn tractor to park the trailer - what a pain.
So other than those things, why mess with it? It drives NICE, handles PERFECTLY, gets great MPG for a Jeep truck and anything I do is either going to impact MPG, ride, handling or stability on the highway. I don't rock crawl, about all I'll face is road debris (which includes dead deer and other critters, logs that have fallen off trucks, semi tire parts, stuff that rips the bottoms out of mere mortal cars, or mud, sand and snow and ice. Much bigger tires lead to other issues, so why? These things look great right out of the box.
Sponsored

Reactions: DHP