Sponsored

Anyone trade in their 2020 for a 2021?

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Just curious. Seems like there may be a few options worth the consideration.

If you traded your 2020 Gladiator for a 2021... four questions:

1. Why?
2. Did you get the same or a different model that you had as your 2020?
3. What price did you get for your 2020? Please specify “trade in” or “private party” and state you’re in.
4. Are you happy with your decision?
Sponsored

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel, 2021 392, 1982 J10
sold launch rubicon to get diesel rubicon, huge difference.

first a pick up, then a diesel, then a v8 in a Jeep. Chrysler is listening to their customers, good job.

I won't post the sale price as it was a unique situation.

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator

first a pick up, then a diesel, then a v8 in a Jeep. Chrysler is listening to their customers, good job.

So....you had a LE Rubicon...replaced that with the diesel Rubicon....now you have a V8? In a Gladiator? From the factory? Or did you shoehorn a 392 JL in there, too?

Not trying to be flippant, I just dont follow what you did.

JCHGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate sales/Development
So....you had a LE Rubicon...replaced that with the diesel Rubicon....now you have a V8? In a Gladiator? From the factory? Or did you shoehorn a 392 JL in there, too?

He’s saying he has a diesel JT, but is also applauding Chrysler for bringing out all of these options.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ

So honest question... what does the diesel offer that can't be accomplished with a gas JT and a long range tank? I get the obvious towing use case but if it's that much as concern, why not just get a larger truck that can properly tow?

It just seems crazy to me to trade in a year old vehicle without some sort of financial incentive (e.g. trading a sport for a Rubicon because you wanted that equipment anyway).

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase

He’s saying he has a diesel JT, but is also applauding Chrysler for bringing out all of these options.
From another thread, he had the LE, sold it to a buddy and bought a diesel and then when the 392 came out, he ordered it and currently still has the diesel.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
So honest question... what does the diesel offer that can't be accomplished with a gas JT and a long range tank? I get the obvious towing use case but if it's that much as concern, why not just get a larger truck that can properly tow?

It just seems crazy to me to trade in a year old vehicle without some sort of financial incentive (e.g. trading a sport for a Rubicon because you wanted that equipment anyway).
There are several things that he posted in the other thread for why he wanted/likes the diesel better than the gasser. I'll most likely be trading in my JTR for a JTDR, but not for several years. And towing is the major reason why. As to why not get a larger truck, because it is larger. I also have a 2020 Ram 1500 that I could tow my little offroad trailer, but I want the offroad capabilities of the Jeep to go with it.

GrandmaGoesCamping-27-1024x682.jpg

Better fuel range and less of a fuel hit when towing are very important for what I like to do in my JT. Now, if they would only put out a diesel Mojave.....

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
There are several things that he posted in the other thread for why he wanted/likes the diesel better than the gasser. I'll most likely be trading in my JTR for a JTDR, but not for several years. And towing is the major reason why. As to why not get a larger truck, because it is larger. I also have a 2020 Ram 1500 that I could tow my little offroad trailer, but I want the offroad capabilities of the Jeep to go with it.

GrandmaGoesCamping-27-1024x682.jpg

Better fuel range and less of a fuel hit when towing are very important for what I like to do in my JT. Now, if they would only put out a diesel Mojave.....
IMO I don’t see them putting in a diesel in the Mojave, diesels just aren't suited for high revving desert running, plus the weight penalty for that engine...500 extra pounds in the front. I bet they’d put in the 2.0 turbo before the diesel. Now the 392....that’s perfect for the Mojave.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
IMO I don’t see them putting in a diesel in the Mojave, diesels just aren't suited for high revving desert running, plus the weight penalty for that engine...500 extra pounds in the front. I bet they’d put in the 2.0 turbo before the diesel. Now the 392....that’s perfect for the Mojave.
I totally agree and I don't think they will ever do a diesel Mojave either. I just really want the suspension and at least a rear locker. IMO, Jeep really messed up by using the Overland name for their "city" model. They should have saved that name for a model truly meant for overlanding. Maybe the aftermarket will finally catch on that a lot of these trucks will be used for overlanding and not just rock crawling (talking suspension here).

Sponsored

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I’m considering trading in my 2020 for a 2021 next year. I bought an Overland and there are upgrades I was planning on making that come standard with the Rubicon. So far I’ve had it two months and it’s had a rear shock fail, the back window started leaking and it’s on the never ending list of people waiting for the steering box to be replaced. Knocking on wood that the ‘21s have the window figured out and the new steering box.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I totally agree and I don't think they will ever do a diesel Mojave either. I just really want the suspension and at least a rear locker. IMO, Jeep really messed up by using the Overland name for their "city" model. They should have saved that name for a model truly meant for overlanding. Maybe the aftermarket will finally catch on that a lot of these trucks will be used for overlanding and not just rock crawling (talking suspension here).
Did you research the different models to see the differences?
I’m considering trading in my 2020 for a 2021 next year. I bought an Overland and there are upgrades I was planning on making that come standard with the Rubicon. So far I’ve had it two months and it’s had a rear shock fail, the back window started leaking and it’s on the never ending list of people waiting for the steering box to be replaced. Knocking on wood that the ‘21s have the window figured out and the new steering box.
My August build doesn't have a leaky rear window. Fca might even make a tsb for that problem.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
My build date is 11/19, do not have the rear window leak. Had the steering box replaced and now have notchy steering feel. I have the Mopar lift with about 11k on it and both rear shock are bad. Not complaining, just unexpected.

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My build date is 11/19, do not have the rear window leak. Had the steering box replaced and now have notchy steering feel. I have the Mopar lift with about 11k on it and both rear shock are bad. Not complaining, just unexpected.
Is the Mopar lift the one that FCA offers for sale as the standalone package or was it factory installed? I installed the Bilestein 5100 shocks on my prior vehicle, a 2016 F150 and ran those for years without issue. There were people on the F150 forum that were jumping to Fox with mixed results in terms of longevity. I’m curious to know if that experience is universal across Fox’s products.

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you research the different models to see the differences?

My August build doesn't have a leaky rear window. Fca might even make a tsb for that problem.
My build date is 08-19. Maybe mine was made on a Friday?
Sponsored