Sponsored

Anyone upgrade sound systems? Amps, speakers etc?

Pscobee

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator
Occupation
Executive
I have the upgraded factory system but wouldn't mind a little more oomph...

would also love wireless Apple Car Play but am guessing i have to wait for aftermarket to catch up....

Thanks for any experience and suggestions
Sponsored

Glenn671

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Look up stinger. It’s pricey though.
I just upgraded my stock speakers, and added a powered 10” sub. I now want to add a 4 channel amp to power the mids and highs but still keep the stock head unit.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I upgraded my source material and it made a huge difference in sound. I ripped all my CDs into .wav format and put the memory stick in on one of the back USB slots. The user interface works good to play songs by folder or "all shuffled". The separation, perceived loudness, and sound quality are way, way, better with the full CD quality tracks (like .wav). Try it, the difference is huge.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

would also love wireless Apple Car Play but am guessing i have to wait for aftermarket to catch up....

There's a whole sub forum concerning audio.
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/forums/uconnect-communications-audio-electronics-cb.27/

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/speaker-upgrade.37070/

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/looking-to-upgrade-speakers.35929/

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...planned-audio-upgrade-part-list-inside.35453/

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I'm somewhat of an audio snob and I'm very happy with my factory system. The only shortcoming I noticed was it didn't have much presence of high notes. I installed Alpine two-way speakers in the dash and those tweeters made a BIG difference.

As mentioned, source media has a big affect on overall sound. IMO, nothing will sound good via Bluetooth. No matter the hardware, it's not going to be any better than FM radio.

I dock my iPhone in the center cubby and manipulate it from the touch screen. Works great and keeps the phone charged. Can't imagine why I'd want wireless.

I also copy M4P files from iTunes onto USB thumb drives. This also sounds very nice.

I admit I'm not trying to blow windows out as I drive through my neighborhood. If that's your objective, go with multiple Rockford amps.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I was just looking at those cause lord the standard factory sound is as pitiful as the standard halogen lighting on this truck (LOL).
That's a lot of cheddar for two small speakers. Consider we can buy some of the best bookshelf speakers on the market for $199 a pair.

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
That's a lot of cheddar for two small speakers. Consider we can buy some of the best bookshelf speakers on the market for $199 a pair.
Yea I am still looking around for other possible options that might be cheaper. I really like that Stinger radio system but the cost of that is to much for me right now as well. At least till the wife finds another job.

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future

I'm not up to date on tech but I did custom systems 20 years ago. Besides the screens, and digital media, not a whole lot of changes with audio over the years.
The rules back then are still applicable today. You can only take audio quality so far in a vehicle by tackling the system itself, meaning HU, amps, woofer quality, cross overs, yada yada.
Vehicles are terrible environments for quality audio. If you make the environment better, your sound system will sound better. Don't spend another $1,000+ on the system before investing some coin into the environment first. It pays huge dividends.
Hard top headliners with sound assassin strips is #1 easiest thing to start with. Not only does that cut down wind noise, but it doubles as acoustic panels, like what you see on sound studio walls. That's a thick text book of science on that topic alone.
You can take the doors apart and add sound assassin material in there. Take the carpeting up and line the whole floor with it.

If you do those three things, roof, doors and floor, I guarantee your current sound system will put a smile on your face.

If you want to drive with a naked Jeep and need a better system, then I just wasted my breath, LOL. As someone who installed custom systems, I would talk everyone out of spending a dime on trying to make it sound better. You are just begging for a lifetime of tinnitus. Take it from me, don't damage your ears. Please! Tinnitus sucks.

BuddT

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Painter/Fabricator
I haven't had an upgraded sound system since I was a teen. I am going for a Sound Quality system as opposed to Big Bass. I am in the process of upgrading all of the Driver's. I have started with a Hertz Mille Pro 3 Way Component up front for a center stage and I am adding a single 10 inch JL Subwoofer. The 6.5 Mid Bass will go in the Dash via Metra Enclosures. It was difficult to install. I had to remove the entire dash to install these. The 3 inch Mids will go on top of the dash in the Factory position. The Tweeters will go into the A Pillar. The Subwoofer will be enclosed in a down firing box placed under the back seat. I will also be adding some Hertz 6X9 in the Sound Bar up top for rear fill.

I just tore out the entire interior to put in sound dampening material, and Closed Cell Foam to decouple the interior plastic panels. I have plans on putting some additional Sound Dampening Material on the Roof as well as some DIY Foam Interior Panels on the roof. I am still waiting on the fabric for that. A Buddy of mine is laser cutting some Jeep Logos and Script to add to the roof panels. I may add some Mass Loaded Vinyl to the floor to get rid of any unwanted road noise. That really depends on how everything sounds once all of the components are added and I am able to determine if it is needed.

The amplifiers will be mounted in an enclosed Amp Rack that will be mounted on the back wall of the Cab that will be hidden by the back seat. I will include some fans to keep everything cool. I will also include a few LED lights for the Amp Rack only to be shown when I want to reveal the components to friends and Family.

I ran some 0 gauge wire for my AudioControl Digital Sound Processor/ Amplifier for the Front Stage. I also have an AudioControl Monoblock Amplifier for the Subwoofer.

Everything will be as Stealthy as possible so I am not advertising the upgraded Stereo components. The only real visible upgraded aspect of the system will be the custom A Pillars. I plan on deleting the O-Crap handles on the A Pillars as well.

All of this is made possible through a PAC Audio Pre Amp that connects to the Factory Head Unit. I just can not justify spending $1600.00 or more for an upgraded head unit. Everything runs through the Head Unit. It is hard to find something that will incorporate all of the functions of the vehicle and offer a decent sound signal without spending a boatload of money.

ill try and keep you all updated on the progress.

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
Look up stinger. It’s pricey though.
I just upgraded my stock speakers, and added a powered 10” sub. I now want to add a 4 channel amp to power the mids and highs but still keep the stock head unit.
I installed a Stinger this week, love the big screen (and it sounds pretty good too). I had the 7" prior.
Sponsored