Sponsored

Anyone use the TurnCam feature on the Tazer mini?

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
How well does it work? one the only features on the mini that the others don't have that I think could be useful. I'll have a camper on the bed, so my rear view mirror will be pretty much useless. It's just kinda pricey. and the only other feature I really need is to recalibrate getting larger tires which can be done much less expensively. I know I could just put the button on my screen and tap it to see behind if I need to, this just seems a lot more convenient when changing lanes.

or has anyone replaced their rearview mirror with one that taps into the back-up cam? Seems like you can buy one that comes with it's own camera.
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I liked it, except at night, it blanked my license plate lights. So I turned it off. No license plate lights at night might get me a ticket.

OP
OP
PsyRN

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
Never really thought of these happening. Good points.

Steven_B

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aroundthenw.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 WK2, 2001 XJ, 1993 YJ, 2021 JT EcoDiesel
Occupation
Digital Marketing Manager
I like it. I have a camper so I always look down at it when using the turn signals on the freeway. I rarely use it has a "mirror" (double mute button tap). By design, the Tazer turns off the plate lights to reduce the annoying glare on the camera. I could see it as an issue if you were running the camera all the time as a "mirror."

Sponsored

MMMII

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR - 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Redfin - Real Estate Consultant
Use it all the time and personally I think itā€™s something that should be a choice for the driver to enable or disable straight from the factory.

Last edited:

csandoval1988

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
If i am not mistaken, it only turns off the license plate lights when you activate the turn signals. Once you change lanes and the turn signals turn off, the license plate lights come back on

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
I used it for a while, but decided I did not like it and now just manually double tap the mute button if I want to engage the rear camera

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
When I get my camper I had planned on moving the factory(buying a separate one) from tailgate to above the doors like a sprinter van. No glare that way. Anyone using an additional side mirror for lane changes with a camper?

bhodgeJuck

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Corp IT Manager
I find it annoying and will be turning it off this weekend. The flash when it comes on at night is just too much, I don't like the license plate light issue, and being a very short range fisheye lense, you really don't see far enough behind you to be useful, at least in my opinion.

Sponsored

gmcul8r

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 1963 IH Scout
Occupation
Buyer
I've used it for over a year now and really like it. It should be an option from the factory. As others have said, it's too bright at night on the highest interior light setting, but you can change that.

Also, for some reason mine would reduce the stereo volume while in use with the adaptive volume control, so I have turned that off.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Sheeeittt, my wife's 2016 Honda SUV has this feature, it should be a factory option.

It's something I appreciate every day. Coming home from work I have a merge lane from the freeway followed by changing 4 lanes over to the right. Since there is about 150' from the exit lane to the right turn lane, having awareness is a very nice to have.

LostMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave, 17 Assault, 99 S10
Been using mine for almost a year, its nice to have. Game changer probably nto as I don't have anything blocking my view, but very nice to have regardless. Would make a bigger difference if your view was obstructed.
Also it only blanks the license plate lights with the turn signals, they're not always off.
I have my dash lights dimmed quite low and haven't had any issues at night with the screen coming on.

ParatusExpeditions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Super annoying in my book. Tried if for 1h and it had to go. When I put my turn signal Iā€™m changing direction and need my GPS to confirm Iā€™m going the right way. Exit, ramps, etc.

The more I think of it the less I find the tazer worth $300+. Only thing I really needed was the tire size which can be done for cheap. Most of the live features donā€™t work or not well and are hacks where the tazer is fighting against the computer to force enable stuff. In software engineering we call those situation racy. Imagine two people at two different place in a room trying to switch the light ON on one part and OFF on the other one. The fastest to enable/disable takes it. That can be seen everywhere:
- forward cam enabled above speed limit x: icon is flickering as the computer trying to shut it down while tazer is trying to keep it up. Super distracting
- sway bar disconnect above 18mph doesnā€™t work all the time for the same reason and you can see it on the dash where the computer throw a warning that it is not able to re lock the sway bar as tazer ā€œunlocked it fasterā€ than it was able to lock it
- engine cooling feature has cycles of 20-30s instead of continus. Same thing, tazer is asking fan 100% computer says no, tazer says yes etc

Some features are plain useless in their current form: for example dark mode only work under 5mph. Discussed that with them somehow theyā€™re afraid of the legality of this but fine with breaking the law everywhere else (headlight stays on when high beam activated, product needed reverse engineering of protected Stellantis IP and bypassing security module, etc etc).

Some other just donā€™t work, I canā€™t disable my sway bar in 2WD even with the shortcut. Only work in 4, and at a complete stop when button needs to be pressed.

All in all it does transform your CAN bus in a constant shit show for a few gimmicks.

A few features I values though:
- hood alarm, potentially doable with other products, need to figure that out
- tire size & trans settings, definitely doable with other products
- QoL like disabling rear plate light while backup is good too.

YMMV, this is just an opinion as a software & hw engineer. Though, it kinda did slide into what could be perceived as a rant šŸ˜ƒ letā€™s call it a collection of thoughts Iā€™ll be able to link back to when someone asks me what I think of it.
Sponsored