First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Book says it's only available in 4Lo. So what's it's purpose? What's it do?
Jeep Gladiator Anyone use this button? IMG_20210529_174523540_HDR(1)
Sponsored

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Hmm, this one is tough to explain....you ever seen the Magic School Bus?

Just kidding around, but to be honest I’m not sure. I’ve been assuming that it’s like an off-road, low speed cruise control. That’s probably not right though lmao.

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Hmm, this one is tough to explain....you ever seen the Magic School Bus?

Just kidding around, but to be honest I’m not sure. I’ve been assuming that it’s like an off-road, low speed cruise control. That’s probably not right though lmao.
That's what I was thinking 🤔. Like a crawl cruise control.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
it's hill decent control. when you are off road in 4lo you can use this feature to allow the jeep to electronically control your speed when descending steep down hill grades. I used it for the first time a few week ago, pretty cool feature. I still prefer to do it myself though.
Well damnit. Now I gotta go find a hill lots of them.â›°â›°â›°â›° Thanks

ColoFreeJeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys, 2005 Wrangler Sport
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Book says it's only available in 4Lo. So what's it's purpose? What's it do?
Jeep Gladiator Anyone use this button? IMG_20210529_174523540_HDR(1)
Selec-Speed Control: cruise control for crawling. Only works in 4-Low and for automatics only.

Sponsored

PancakeCritter

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3
Occupation
Engineer
BMW has something similar called Hill Decent Control. Really useful for long stretches of super steep declines.

OrangeTJ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKUS, 05 Dodge 2500 CTD
Our Toyota Land Cruiser had essentially the same thing, which they called "crawl control". Very cool feature of the crawling isn't all that technical/hardcore.

Kch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon,1932 ford sedan,1932 ford coupe,1931 ford sedan,1959 Olds custom1959 Olds custom
Selec-Speed Control: cruise control for crawling. Only works in 4-Low and for automatics only.

It is indeed Select-Speed control. But it is not a hill descent button. They are two totally separate buttons with different functions. If you look close the jeep on the button is on flat ground. The jeep on the button for hill descent will be going down hill.
With hill descent, once the button is pushed in 4 low, it automatically turns on when you hit an 8 percent down grade. It will shut off if: your grade becomes less that 8 percent, if you touch the brake or throttle, if you open the door or go up a grade. It is purely for "hill descent."
With the Select-Speed button, it can be used on any terrain. Put in 4 low,push the button, and shift to manual mode on the transmission. You can select speeds from 0.6 to 5 miles an hour on the fly. You do not need to use the gas or throttle to maintain speed. It doesn't matter what grade the terrain is. You can also add throttle and gas as needed. This does not cancel the mode as it does with hill descent. Take your foot off the throttle or gas and it will resume the speed you have selected.
I have used it on very steep descents and it is very sure footed. I also like to put in a base speed when crawling, and I just modulate brake and throttle if needed. Like braking when coming over the back side of a big rock or ledge to set her down gentle. Mine is not too noisy and works just as advertised. Hope this helps.
Sponsored