Sponsored

ARB Air Compressors: Single or Double Compressor?

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
I'm lookling for a reliable compact on-board air compressor system for my 3.6L JTR, and it seems like a lot of you guys run the ARB's. I can't seem to find any posts that reference the pros/cons of the single vs double compressor models. The single compressor would most likely be fine for what I need. But I was wondering if anyone out there has bought the single compressor, but later upgraded to the double compressor model, and why? I would assume the obvious pro is better performance, with the con being higher cost. Has anyone mounted theirs inside the cabin, then later move dit under the hood, or vice versa? Please give your feedback and/or recommendations. I'd also like feedback on other brands/models. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I have the mobile (in the black box) version of the dual ARB - it came with a small and probably not useful 1 gal air tank.

Anyway, its a dual compressor. I think the actual compressor and motor themselves are the same on the dual and single - just that the dual has two of them. Not verified so this could be wrong...

I chose the dual so that if one compressor failed, the other would still run - though not as much volume of course. Redundancy in a way. The chances of a failure I think are very slim seeing as how the track record is for these even when mounted in areas that see lots of water and mud. But it's peace of mind for me.

Viair is also a good product - seems like ARB is just popular in the Jeep world though. And their dual's are smaller too. I believe they are rated at 100% duty as well. On my truck I just sold I would have gone Via as it seems more 'industrial' to me and geared for larger volumes of air movement. Their compressors are much larger I think.

Don't have the Gladiator in yet but I'm debating between hard mount in the cab or bed (or under bed in wheel well's. Pros for the in cab mount is a shorter wire run depending on if it runs on your vehicle battery or a house battery of course.

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
The double is bigger, so less options for mounting. It’s more expensive too. The major pro is the amount of air it moves.

the single has a lot of mounting options, but is probably not going to be able to efficiently run air tools. It will also take a little longer to air up tires. Plenty good enough for air lockers and tire if that all you wanna do. There is a chart somewhere with air up time comparisons between single, double, viair systems.

I went with the double and mounted it with a 813 bed mount.

OP
OP
cdyoung9799

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
The double is bigger, so less options for mounting. It’s more expensive too. The major pro is the amount of air it moves.

the single has a lot of mounting options, but is probably not going to be able to efficiently run air tools. It will also take a little longer to air up tires. Plenty good enough for air lockers and tire if that all you wanna do. There is a chart somewhere with air up time comparisons between single, double, viair systems.

I went with the double and mounted it with a 813 bed mount.
Good info re: air tools. I hadn't taken that into consideration. I would mainly see me using it for airing up/down on trails, etc., but you never know.......

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I went with the single ARB, reasons as follows:
1.) Less cost !!
2.) Less weight, they are heavy, everything adds up
3.) Still a hell of an air compressor and is replacing my 20 year old cheapo.
4.) 813 has an awesome (just out) brand new under hood mount, driver side fender. Voswitch is there for me, so not an option.
5.) This is biggest reason for permanent install, and I am an electrician.The dual has two motors that uses a lot more amps, the single will work off my Voswitch 300 panel using 40amp relay, I think factory aux. switch relays are also big enough for the single. Way easy to wire compared to dual.
6.) CON to the single is filling bigger tires, takes longer, I usually lower my 33" tires to 20psi, and when getting off beach or trails go to 37psi, bigger tires would take longer
I'm installing mine this weekend, in my bed under my RSI cap mounted driver side rear on trail rail, just be able to pop rear hatch pull out hose and fill up........Jack

Sponsored

Marine2947

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Military
I went with the single arb and mounted it under the hood with the 813 fabrication motor mount. I’m on 37s and air up to 35 from 14 with no issues. I don’t run air tools and I have e lockers so I don’t need my compressor to do any of that.

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I went with the single ARB, reasons as follows:
1.) Less cost !!
2.) Less weight, they are heavy, everything adds up
3.) Still a hell of an air compressor and is replacing my 20 year old cheapo.
4.) 813 has an awesome (just out) brand new under hood mount, driver side fender. Voswitch is there for me, so not an option.
5.) This is biggest reason for permanent install, and I am an electrician.The dual has two motors that uses a lot more amps, the single will work off my Voswitch 300 panel using 40amp relay, I think factory aux. switch relays are also big enough for the single. Way easy to wire compared to dual.
6.) CON to the single is filling bigger tires, takes longer, I usually lower my 33" tires to 20psi, and when getting off beach or trails go to 37psi, bigger tires would take longer
I'm installing mine this weekend, in my bed under my RSI cap mounted driver side rear on trail rail, just be able to pop rear hatch pull out hose and fill up........Jack
My twin is wired to an aux switch. It’s a relay, so wiring it to really any switch isn’t that big a deal.

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave, 2020 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Almost Retired
I have the ARB twin. Takes a few minutes to bring a 35x12.5x17 tire up from 18 to 36 psi. Mounted behind the back driver's side seat with an 813 mount/kit. Perfect for what we do!

Last edited:

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
If you're NOT going to get air lockers, then you only need 1 compressor.
A single will easily handle both an air locker and airing up duties. Your not doing both at the same time are you :) The manifold on the ARB along with locker solenoids allow multiple connections. For me the single vs double decision was made based on tire size. Up to 35 and a single is fine. Above that its just takes a long time to fill back up. Im running 35's and can fill up all 4 tires from 20 to 32 in under 10 min with the single mounted under the hood.

Sponsored

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Single ARB user here - takes right about 2m45s to air up 37x12.5x17 KO2s from ~18 to 32 psi. Figure around ~12 min total investment. Not a huge chunk of time, assuming you plan the trails accordingly (i.e. you spend hours at a time, and not constantly going on and off road).

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
My twin is wired to an aux switch. It’s a relay, so wiring it to really any switch isn’t that big a deal.
I get that, but the aux switch relays from factory aux switches #1 and #2 are rated up to 40amps, so a single ARB which uses 14 amps no psi and 25 amps at 29psi can run right off the aux switches wires directly without adding another relay. Twin ARB should be in the 30amp no load to 60 amp load ranges above the relays and fuse ratings. If you just want to use the factory relays to operate another larger relay then use #3 or #4 which are much lower rated.
So using a single allows you to just hook to the wires from aux switches eliminate the ARB fuse and go right to Compressor, hench why I think it is easier.....Jack

polarisTXguy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave, F350, Boss 302, Mini, Ram1500
Occupation
Polaris Industires
Air up duty cycle is a little slower with the single but will handle 37’s and even 40’s if you’re not trying to air all 4 up at once. There is several YouTube Videos comparing air up timing

I went single and mounted it under the driver fender. Also added a heat shield to knock down the heat from the Cat. It’s convenient to access and wired to the factor aux switches.

Jeep Gladiator ARB Air Compressors: Single or Double Compressor? BDAB1A46-83F4-417B-8E2B-921B25E1F5E6

Jeep Gladiator ARB Air Compressors: Single or Double Compressor? 6824CEEB-C53C-4358-BA57-415DE2FEA9E2

Last edited:

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I have a twin. I first had it under the hood, the cats heated it up so much it took forever to fill tires. I moved under my passenger seat and I can all run the a/c on it… and it never warms up.

I had friends that ran the single and they have/had up to 35” tires. It was alright to do that. The twin allows you to have more cfm and it fills my 37’s from 12 psi to 30 in about 4 mins each.