First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Gator, 2017Jeep JK 2dr
Occupation
Ret. Army
For those that use their ARB for airing up after a fun day out exploring, how warm does the pump get? How about the Chuck area?
Sponsored

Steven_B

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aroundthenw.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 WK2, 2001 XJ, 1993 YJ, 2021 JT EcoDiesel
Occupation
Digital Marketing Manager
For those that use their ARB for airing up after a fun day out exploring, how warm does the pump get? How about the Chuck area?
Are you asking because yours is hot?

The twin compressor can get pretty hot when airing up tires, especially if the air chuck is mounted right to the compressor which is not advised even though the box shows it that way. ARB makes a manifold which, according to the engineers is required to dissipate the heat of the compressor before reaching the air chuck. But again, ARB's marketing screwed up the package and shows the chuck mounted directly to the compressor and not the manifold.

The single motor compressor will shut off (not 100% duty cycle) before it gets that hot.

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
What Steven_B said is spot on. All compressor get really hot, but different models handle it differently and have different duty cycles. I've got a single with the quick disconnect attached to the compressor and while it does get hot, I've not had it shut down during an air up. I mostly leave the tires really low and just use the compressor for the air lockers. On my gladiator, I've got a twin mounted with a remote quick disconnect on the front bumper. I've aired up 8 thirty five inch tires from 18 to 37 and didn't notice heat at the quick disconnect, but I haven't checked the compressor itself.

OP
OP
Bad Luck Bill

Bad Luck Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ret. Army
Are you asking because yours is hot?

The twin compressor can get pretty hot when airing up tires, especially if the air chuck is mounted right to the compressor which is not advised even though the box shows it that way. ARB makes a manifold which, according to the engineers is required to dissipate the heat of the compressor before reaching the air chuck. But again, ARB's marketing screwed up the package and shows the chuck mounted directly to the compressor and not the manifold.

The single motor compressor will shut off (not 100% duty cycle) before it gets that hot.
I am just researching at this point, but the reason I was asking is a buddy was helping air up tires and his (not ARB) compressor got really hot at the chuck attachment. I am just trying to figure out what route I am looking for, type location and so on.

Steven_B

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aroundthenw.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I am just researching at this point, but the reason I was asking is a buddy was helping air up tires and his (not ARB) compressor got really hot at the chuck attachment. I am just trying to figure out what route I am looking for, type location, and so on.
Was it a twin motor compressor and the chuck mounted right to the compressor? If yes and yes, then it can get really hot, to the point that it can melt the inflation hose. ARB engineering wants the chuck mounted off the compressor to help dissipate the heat generated from the compressor.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bad Luck Bill

Bad Luck Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ret. Army
Was it a twin motor compressor and the chuck mounted right to the compressor? If yes and yes, then it can get really hot, to the point that it can melt the inflation hose. ARB engineering wants the chuck mounted off the compressor to help dissipate the heat generated from the compressor.
That is what I was looking for. My buddy's is a single stand alone and has had a hose blow on him from the heat. I'm still looking for my best options as far as mounting and stuff.

Steven_B

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aroundthenw.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That is what I was looking for. My buddy's is a single stand alone and has had a hose blow on him from the heat. I'm still looking for my best options as far as mounting and stuff.
If you go the twin route, several companies are already making mounts and just pick up a manifold (see link below) and run your hose off of it. If you ever run Air locker in the future, then you would mount the solenoids on the manifold as well.

https://dasmule.com/products/arb-air-compressor-manifold-kit
Sponsored