ARB Single vs Dual and question on manifold

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
I'm in the process of upgrading to on board air for my JT and can't decide between the single and twin ARB compressor.

I am 90% sure I'm just going to spend the bit extra for the Twin but has anyone purchased the single and been content with their decision?

I air down to 15psi on my 35" BFGs and then air back up to 34. I go wheeling 1-2x a month, as well as take extended trips to the fed land in New Mexico. Typically the off-road parks have air compressors at the entrance but the NM trips don't. At some point I plan on an ARB front locker but not in the near future.

I'll be using the 813 under hood bracket so it fits either one.

I've also read a few posts advising not to hook the air chuck directly to the compressor, and to use the ARB manifold. Is the manifold necessary or a nicety that I can add later if the need arises?

Thanks ahead of time!
Sponsored

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I debated this as well, but ultimately went with a single. It doesn't arrive till Sunday so I can't speak on actual impressions, but my reasons were:

* Size/Cost - The increase of both of these did not feel justified for casual use-case (I will very likely only use it for airing up/down tires, no plans for lockers)
* Current Draw - The single maxes out at drawing 32A under max load. The twin draws 68.6A. With the single, I can tap directly into the aux switch that is rated at 40A.

Also, FWIW - it seems like the single comes equipped/ready for lockers, whereas the twin requires another ~$85 manifold kit (at least that's what's mentioned on the twin product page).

ScottHarr_JT

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Military
Did you ever end up purchasing a compressor? Im curious about the pros and cons of each as well. The single seems to be plenty for me, but I'd love to hear your reasoning behind why you went with what you did.

unixxx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave, Grand Cherokee SRT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
One benefit of the twin is increased air supply reliability. You can have one compressor fail and still run your lockers, sway bar disconnect, airbags, etc to get out.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I debated this as well, but ultimately went with a single. It doesn't arrive till Sunday so I can't speak on actual impressions, but my reasons were:

* Size/Cost - The increase of both of these did not feel justified for casual use-case (I will very likely only use it for airing up/down tires, no plans for lockers)
* Current Draw - The single maxes out at drawing 32A under max load. The twin draws 68.6A. With the single, I can tap directly into the aux switch that is rated at 40A.

Also, FWIW - it seems like the single comes equipped/ready for lockers, whereas the twin requires another ~$85 manifold kit (at least that's what's mentioned on the twin product page).
I dont think 68.8 amps is accurate. My dual high performance (it was the mobile version but I took out of box and hard mounted) is specified by ARB at 50a max. Which is consistent as the high output single is spec at 25A. I have mine connected to a single 60A fuse and have not blown it yet and just did a air-up test last weekend with a home made crackin system.

I chose the dual for redundancy in case one failed. Although I cant think of anyone who actually had a failure until 10 years had passed and it just got old. So a single is probably plenty reliable. I also though like the dual for how fast it is. It fills up the 1gal small tank to 160psi in less than a minute. And airs up all 4 tires at the same time from 20-37 in maybe 3 minutes.

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I dont think 68.8 amps is accurate. My dual high performance (it was the mobile version but I took out of box and hard mounted) is specified by ARB at 50a max. Which is consistent as the high output single is spec at 25A. I have mine connected to a single 60A fuse and have not blown it yet and just did a air-up test last weekend with a home made crackin system.

I chose the dual for redundancy in case one failed. Although I cant think of anyone who actually had a failure until 10 years had passed and it just got old. So a single is probably plenty reliable. I also though like the dual for how fast it is. It fills up the 1gal small tank to 160psi in less than a minute. And airs up all 4 tires at the same time from 20-37 in maybe 3 minutes.
Yea, I just based it off their spec sheet. Funny enough, I have since rewired everything and am running the compressor off a relay that gets power directly from the battery, so my statement is somewhat of a moot point now.
Sponsored