Threads
Reaction score
Website
aptoutdoors.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator - Punk'n, 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - Dover Grey Metallic
Occupation
Sys Admin
I'm looking for a bed rack and have a couple (RCI, JCR) in mind for the full height racks, but I'm not entirely sure during my research if any of them are flush with the existing roof line. I'm looking at adding crossbars, probably pillars on the back and gutter mounts on the front and want to be able to mount our 14' kayaks reasonably well. I also do a fair amount of off-roading so the versatility of the bed rack for mounting stuff kept me that way instead of a work truck ladder rack.

Any ideas? I've seen a couple people mount whitewater kayaks, as well as some extend-a-beds but I'm looking for something a little more put together for our application. I'll also probably be mounting a Denver Outfitters 4-banger for fly rods when the season allows.
Sponsored

JcrOffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jcroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow - Firecracker Red
Our rack sits about 1 - 1.5" under the roofline on center and maybe .75" on the sides. That shouldn't affect your kayak mounting, they would just be sitting at a very slight angle. I mount my rec kayaks on J-mounts on the rack only, but I understand with lake kayaks you may want to support them over the roof as well.
~Daryl

https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/JTBR.html
JTBR-HR-FULL_1.jpg

JTBR-HR-FULL_2.jpg

OP
OP
APTOutdoors

APTOutdoors

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aptoutdoors.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sys Admin
Our rack sits about 1 - 1.5" under the roofline on center and maybe .75" on the sides. That shouldn't affect your kayak mounting, they would just be sitting at a very slight angle. I mount my rec kayaks on J-mounts on the rack only, but I understand with lake kayaks you may want to support them over the roof as well.
~Daryl

https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/JTBR.html
JTBR-HR-FULL_1.jpg

JTBR-HR-FULL_2.jpg
Thanks Daryl, with the kayaks being on the long side we'll want to try and get the support as level as we can. I'll play with the numbers and see if I can get a mix of Yakima towers to work with that difference.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Can you put a poly shim between the mount at the top of the rack? If JCR is <1 inch lower, it seems like a viable option.

Aside from that, I think ARE’s upcoming fiberglass topper may be flush (?). A bit more expensive, though.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
You might want to check out Leitner Designs...

https://www.leitnerdesigns.com/jeep-1

They have a couple of models for the Gladiator and the dimensions are listed on their websites.

Sponsored

OP
OP
APTOutdoors

APTOutdoors

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aptoutdoors.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sys Admin
Can you put a poly shim between the mount at the top of the rack? If JCR is <1 inch lower, it seems like a viable option.

Aside from that, I think ARE’s upcoming fiberglass topper may be flush (?). A bit more expensive, though.
A topper might be an option since I haul dogs for hunting and that would do double duty but I'm hoping to have a little more visibility out of something like a rack. We'll see.

I saw some other manufacturers in some SEMA show videos, one with a ladder down the side of the rack as an option that might be a little closer and allow me up on the side of the rack to adjust boats. I'll see if I can't dig around for dimensions of that.

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
A topper might be an option since I haul dogs for hunting and that would do double duty but I'm hoping to have a little more visibility out of something like a rack. We'll see.

I saw some other manufacturers in some SEMA show videos, one with a ladder down the side of the rack as an option that might be a little closer and allow me up on the side of the rack to adjust boats. I'll see if I can't dig around for dimensions of that.
That was the Maximus-3 I believe. Been waiting forever to hear a release date on them.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
The one from Trail Mods might be slightly above if not level, check them in the Sema threads.

OP
OP
APTOutdoors

APTOutdoors

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aptoutdoors.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sys Admin

Sponsored

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
You might want to check out Leitner Designs...

https://www.leitnerdesigns.com/jeep-1

They have a couple of models for the Gladiator and the dimensions are listed on their websites.
I agree with this. The leitner is about 1.5" higher than the roofline which is perfect IMO for my kayaks as well as my soon to be RTT.

Fantastic system. Super sturdy. I love it.

OP
OP
APTOutdoors

APTOutdoors

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aptoutdoors.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sys Admin
Okay folks, with a couple of nice days in Denver it got me doing more research than any person should do on bed racks. I've got the following spreadsheet that I'm trying to work out what rack may end up on the back of my Gladiator. Really hoping to see what the Maximus-3 price point will be.

Since the forum is being weird with formatting I've shared the google sheet I'm working on: here

If anyone can help me fill out the columns that would be awesome!

EDIT: So some more info before you go clicking on some random link to a Google Doc. I cover manufacturer, price, whether it mounts to bed rails, whether it's flush to the roof rack, purchase link, and notes.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Okay folks, with a couple of nice days in Denver it got me doing more research than any person should do on bed racks. I've got the following spreadsheet that I'm trying to work out what rack may end up on the back of my Gladiator. Really hoping to see what the Maximus-3 price point will be.

Since the forum is being weird with formatting I've shared the google sheet I'm working on: here

If anyone can help me fill out the columns that would be awesome!

EDIT: So some more info before you go clicking on some random link to a Google Doc. I cover manufacturer, price, whether it mounts to bed rails, whether it's flush to the roof rack, purchase link, and notes.

Leitner: uses trail rail system.

Notes: Probably the closest currently on the market that is flush with the roof line. Modular so you can do a lot of things with it. Proven quality.
Leitner has also made a SECOND system for the gladiator that is forged steel, that also uses the bedrails BUT uses up much less space than the original ACS rack.

velogeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S Max Tow
Leitner: uses trail rail system.

Notes: Probably the closest currently on the market that is flush with the roof line. Modular so you can do a lot of things with it. Proven quality.
Leitner has also made a SECOND system for the gladiator that is forged steel, that also uses the bedrails BUT uses up much less space than the original ACS rack.
You can also use any 80/20 extruded aluminum bars you want on the rack if you want to shave height. Going with a shorter, wider bar will be just as strong and if you mount it straight to the bars, you save a bit over 2" on the height that should put you closer to cab height.

OP
OP
APTOutdoors

APTOutdoors

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aptoutdoors.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sys Admin
You can also use any 80/20 extruded aluminum bars you want on the rack if you want to shave height. Going with a shorter, wider bar will be just as strong and if you mount it straight to the bars, you save a bit over 2" on the height that should put you closer to cab height.
Height was definitely a concern on my JKU, I'd put a Wilderness Rack on the top, which I loved but definitely had issues putting a 72lb, 14.5ft fishing kayak above my head to put on the Jeep + 33" tires + 6" of wilderness rack. Trying to avoid that again.
Sponsored