Sponsored

ARE CAP - CLASSIC OR EVOLVE? WHICH ONE AND WHY?

njjeepthing

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.blinkerfluidproductions.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2018 JLU
Occupation
Event Planner
Ordering a ARE cap this week, I am torn between the Classic and Evolve, can't really figure out the difference.

If you ordered one, please post which on and why, photos are a plus as well!

Thanks
Sponsored

IslandFalconer

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, BMW R9T, BMW X4M40i
Occupation
Falconer
Classic, old style rear glass with a frame, evolve, same cap, same side windows, one piece no frame rear glass. I went with the evolve, and roof rails.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
I bought a second hand Classic cap, but if I were buying new I'd get the Evolve since you can have the rear glass unlock with the vehicle keyless remote. They really are fairly similar besides that and the rear window being frameless.

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
As others have mentioned, the frameless rear glass is the major difference. I worked in truck accessories in college (a major part of the business was toppers), and I currently have the Classic on my JTR. I went with the classic with two T-handle locks for a couple of reasons:
  • Two T-handle locks
    • Pros: locks are easy to adjust and/or replace in case there is play in the rear glass, two locks gives a little bit of added security, and there are no rods that can get bound up like in single lock set ups (yes it happens, and they're often a pain in the ass to adjust, unless some significant advances have been made that I'm unaware of)
    • Cons: two locks to deal with, and its not as convenient to use one handed
  • Framed rear glass
    • Pros: If something happens and the glass gets broken, you can buy a piece of lexan/plexiglass from Home Depot or Lowes, cut it yourself, pop rivet it into the old frame, and you're back in business in a couple of hours. I personally have cut and replaced dozens that way for people that didn't want to spend the money, or didn't have the time to wait on new glass
    • Cons: not the modern look of the frameless glass, if that's what your prefer (this didn't matter to me since the side glass isn't frameless in either situation. Had the side glass been frameless, I would've likely went with the Evolve so that the glass matched all the way around.
Hope that helps- A.R.E makes a great product. You really won't go wrong, either way.

OP
OP
njjeepthing

njjeepthing

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.blinkerfluidproductions.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2018 JLU
Occupation
Event Planner
As others have mentioned, the frameless rear glass is the major difference. I worked in truck accessories in college (a major part of the business was toppers), and I currently have the Classic on my JTR. I went with the classic with two T-handle locks for a couple of reasons:
  • Two T-handle locks
    • Pros: locks are easy to adjust and/or replace in case there is play in the rear glass, two locks gives a little bit of added security, and there are no rods that can get bound up like in single lock set ups (yes it happens, and they're often a pain in the ass to adjust, unless some significant advances have been made that I'm unaware of)
    • Cons: two locks to deal with, and its not as convenient to use one handed
  • Framed rear glass
    • Pros: If something happens and the glass gets broken, you can buy a piece of lexan/plexiglass from Home Depot or Lowes, cut it yourself, pop rivet it into the old frame, and you're back in business in a couple of hours. I personally have cut and replaced dozens that way for people that didn't want to spend the money, or didn't have the time to wait on new glass
    • Cons: not the modern look of the frameless glass, if that's what your prefer (this didn't matter to me since the side glass isn't frameless in either situation. Had the side glass been frameless, I would've likely went with the Evolve so that the glass matched all the way around.
Hope that helps- A.R.E makes a great product. You really won't go wrong, either way.
Awesome thanks for the details!

Sponsored

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
If you can fit diagonally, you can camp underneath the cap and "lock" it from the inside by using clamping pliers on the locking rods.