Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (JTR)
Ordered: 04/15
Installed: 08/26

Options:
  • Trim-less edge (only option)
  • Aluminum Framed Tilt-Down Sliding Window (front)
  • Outdoorsman Vented Windoor (both sides)
  • Aluminum Framed Single T Door Standard Option
  • Dark Gray Headliner (promotion)
  • Interior Clothes Rod x4
  • Roof Tracks Only
  • It's clamped in using the Trail Rail system.

Reasoning:
  • This is my first shell and this style is what I know and how to use.
  • I like the way it looks better than the metal "overland" shells, there I said it - looks matter. :)This is my only vehicle therefore it's a daily driver that I take places not the other way around. I didn't want a bunch of crap hanging off it it all the time. I am an apartment dweller so taking all the things off and storing them when I'm not camping just isn't ideal for me.
  • I've been sleeping in ground tents or the bed of trucks since I could drive. I see no reason to change that now given my living/storage situation. I have a Gazelle tent that sets up and tears down very quick, (even with guy lines for wind), that has proven itself camping across the country over an eight day trip though wind, rain, snow and ice (moving daily - except two days in Moab - to a new campgrounds/national parks during the heart of the pandemic last year).
  • Besides the above detail I mostly "base camp" for at least a few days before moving on so a ground tent or sleeping out of the bed is fine. Yes, it's a 5' bed but I'm a side sleeper and curl up anyway. Been doing this since my Mexico surf trips back in the early 90s in my Ranger, (no shell).
  • Aluminum Framed Tilt-Down Sliding Window (front): Wanted to be able to get at the rear glass on the Gladiator to clean it. Small passthrough for things.
  • Outdoorsman Vented Windoor (both sides): A buddy of mine has this option on his Leer and it's invaluable to get at things, leave them open to get air in the back, if you're hanging out in there out of the sun on a siesta, etc.
  • Aluminum Framed Single T Door Standard Option: I asked the dealer what the stronger option was between the single and double handle and they said the single. That said, the windoors are double with no other option.
  • Dark Gray Headliner (promotion): This seems to be a default promotion they run for getting the shell. It looks good! I imagine if you got the grey BedRug kit for the tub it would look really nice depending on your intended use. My Gladiator came with the factory Line-X sprayed in.
  • Interior Clothes Rod x4: These are spring loaded handles that you pull out of their compartment in the ceiling of the shell. I had them put one in each corner. You can use them to hang stuff from, run a tie-down or something between them to create a clothes line type situation to hang things from, maybe have netting from them so you have some overhead storage across the entire shell, who knows? If they never get used they aren't going to interfere with anything that I know of.
  • Roof Tracks Only: I don't like the rack options the dealer had and not sure if I want a rack. The dynamic limit on these tracks is unknown. The dealer will be very vague about it. Their paraphrased response to me was it depends on the rack you install and that manufacturers dynamic load limit. The response was shady at best as they wouldn't sell an HD version if the roof tracks were that good. I wouldn't put more than 100 lbs. on the roof tracks personally and that might be pushing it. Firewood, other things you don't want in the bed for some reason but nothing like a roof top tent. This is my personal opinion - not fact. Do as you please at your own risk.
  • Weight: ARE's website says it's maybe 175 lbs. (Full & Mid Short Bed line)
My Opinions:
  • Trail Rail clamps: They situated the shell on mine so the back lines up with the tailgate. This means it's also much closer to the hard top and looks good. You will see a lot of pictures of the shell installed on this forum where it's misaligned in the back, (hanging over), and after holding the installer hostage as we did a walkthrough I think I got to the bottom of why this is. If it's clamped in using the Trail Rail system there is a limit as to how far something can be inserted into the Trail Rail towards the front of the bed. There are metal plates in the shell where the clamp is supposed to clamp down on instead of contacting the fiberglass. This cannot be done properly due to the Trail Rail system limitations at the front and rear of the rail as it has notches so you can insert the tie down clamps into the rail. So, I think installers push the shell back some to allow for the clamp to contact the metal plate instead of fiberglass to secure it. My installer lined up the shell but this means my front clamps are contacting fiberglass and not the metal plates. Installer said this "should be okay". We'll see. (I've seen this misalignment complaint from others here and I think that's why the installer does this.)
  • Fit and Finish:
    • Paint match is excellent.
    • They had to add extra rubber seal/padding to the bottom of the shell to give it a slight lift off the bed sides as if they didn't it would rub on the paint along the sides of the bed. The overhang on the sides seems to be too much for the Gladiator and a couple other models of truck where this is needed to avoid damage to the paint. This must be a somewhat generic shell mold for a bunch of models otherwise they would correct this I would think?
    • Along the tailgate left and right edges of the shell there is not a clean finish. There is a rough cut and fiberglass threads,(or some other material), hanging out instead of having a rubber trim edge being installed to clean it up. Lazy. I've seen this complaint from others.
    • It looks excellent and I got what I paid for.
  • Durability: Can't comment on this. Just shy of a month of ownership and it hasn't faced any off-road abuse yet. Washboord trails in the desert etc. We'll see if I have to figure out a new system to secure it after those types of scenarios happen. I'd hate to drill the bed rails to secure it with bolts so we'll see. I wonder why they don't build a lip that goes over the bed rails into the bed maybe one inch to help keep it in place, (at least side to side and dynamic forces that would push it forward into the cab).
    • Update 2024: It's been on plenty of off-road trips out to the desert and mountains and I see no wear and tear on it. The bed has been flexed, off camber etc. I did chip the paint on one of the leading edges near the top scraping through some tight trails at some point. Nothing a paint pen couldn't take care of which they actual give you as part of the purchase if I remember right. I just don't know where I put it.
  • Ride:
    • Stock suspension: The Rubicon rides mushy to begin with and this did not change the ride quality to anything worse than it is that I can tell. It also has not changed the ride height that I can tell. I did not do before/after measurements as it didn't matter, I was getting it anyway. I plan to replace the suspension at some point. I've had AEV suspensions in the past and might go that way again with the 2.5" but there's also the Mopar 2" although I'm unsure if it's the same ride quality the Rubicon already exhibits but lifted, ie. not good in my opinion. I do not like the factory Rubicon ride, it's mushy and seems to fight itself between front and rear and corners, (before and after shell was installed). I've owned many trucks and this is by far the most bizarre ride to me. However it is the first truck I've owned without rear leaf springs. Loved the AEV 3.5" lift on my JKR so I'm leaning that way.
    • Current suspension: I installed the AEV 2.5" lift in 2022 and it's been great as expected.
Obligatory picture (updated):

Jeep Gladiator ARE CX Classic Installed (MattK) tempimagewozjeb-

I'll update this post if anything else comes up.

If you have any questions about the shell or would like to see any other pictures of it let me know. Happy to help.

edit: Added weight from another post since I was being asked multiple times.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Very nice.
Curious as to the weight?

Sponsored

OP
OP
MattK

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wi

Wish that sucker could do 700 static! Best looking camper top for sure!
There is an HD version of the CX that will hold 550 lbs according to ARE. I don’t know if that’s dynamic or static. I’d have to believe they mean static. It has a frame inside to support the weight and it’s own mounting feet on the top of the shell attached to that interior frame.

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Self Employed
There is an HD version of the CX that will hold 550 lbs according to ARE. I don’t know if that’s dynamic or static. I’d have to believe they mean static. It has a frame inside to support the weight and it’s own mounting feet on the top of the shell attached to that interior frame.
Yup static! That’s why I’m going RSI. My big butt and spouse and RTT and gear are pushing 650 so I have limited choice.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MattK

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is the distance between the roof rack rails?
I'll check that this evening when I get home. I assume you want to know center of rail to center of rail?

kjackson

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Sport S, Max Tow, Sarge Green
Occupation
Biotech
I'll check that this evening when I get home. I assume you want to know center of rail to center of rail?
Correct, thank you! I have a direct to rail mounted rack (no cross bars) and want to know if it will fit on supplied racks from ARE or if I should plan on installing them aftermarket.

mcljbryant

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Correct, thank you! I have a direct to rail mounted rack (no cross bars) and want to know if it will fit on supplied racks from ARE or if I should plan on installing them aftermarket.
What basket do you have. Been looking for options.

OP
OP
MattK

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The roof tracks look to be about 41.5" apart from center to center. Hope that helps!
Sponsored