Are most Overlanding rigs overweight?

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Mohave, '18 Jeep Renegade Trail Hawk
Occupation
Approaching Retirement
If you are overweight in ANY specification (payload, GVW, GCVW, or any tire or axle) then you are overweight - and beyond what the vehicle was designed to carry.

Bad things can happen beyond the fact that you will not be able to stop as quickly - or react as expected in an emergency...

*getting off soapbox now*

Carry on.
Sponsored

rchandler341

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I just came back from the Overland Expo Mountain West and had a chance to see what vendors and the overland community looked like. I will add that most everyone is much over their weight ratings. Even the Sprinter Vans, 3/4, and multi ton vehicles. Many are over payloads. The vendors want to sell their products and a few do take into account the payloads on Gladiators and other midsize trucks.

We can't change the sticker on the pillar, but we can modify our rigs to make them more capable when it comes to performance, braking, rock crawling, fording rivers, payload or towing. Heck in the old days you just added a leaf spring, big wide tires and took off down the sunset with your big ass camper on the back with all the kids on the top bunk! Better tires, sway bars, springs, leafs, axles, etc. all improve the vehicles limits over how it came stock.

Fully wet and loaded I am over also. :lipssealed: I feel extremely safe with my rig, how it handles, performs on and off the road.

But I have seen some of these vehicles that look just plain dangerous to drive. I followed a large hard sided camper down a canyon and across Wyoming with a side wind. These guys were having issues staying in their lane! When I did pass them they were all just as happy as could be.

You need to be responsible and understand what the modifications to your vehicle are doing as far as safety. Can you load up the bed with gear and go swerve around something in the road as easily? No, you have to drive more cautiously and realize the additional dynamics you have placed on your vehicle.

These pics are just for your excitement and what vendors are building for people to purchase.

01.jpg

big camper.jpg

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
These pics are just for your excitement and what vendors are building for people to purchase.

Jeep Gladiator Are most Overlanding rigs overweight? big camper

Jeep Gladiator Are most Overlanding rigs overweight? big camper
Point of reference, that camper is 4870#. A 4x4 crew cab 1-ton has a payload of 6600# (gas) or 5600# (diesel).

Companies are cashing in on mall crawlers and car campers that want to look "cool."

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
I can confidently say that my Jeep is not overweight, anymore. It's possible, even with a comfortable overlanding setup, if you are careful about how you do it.

It's easy to go buy all the cool accessories and load the thing up with more storage than supplies. How do I know? I did that my first year, and ate the loss when I realized what I'd done :(

We did a 9000 mile trip earlier this year after changing that philosophy, and continue to do small very comfortable trips :)

Just my opinion, but its about asking yourself what you really need:
* A decked system that weighs 200+ lbs or a few Front Runner boxes at 6 lbs each?
* A full rack system at 100-300 lbs? Or a couple Artec cross bars at 10 lbs?

I can fit 4 wolf packs, a yeti 65, 10 gallons of water, 6 gallons of gas, recovery boards, stove, chairs, propane, an axe, shovel, and misc other stuff in there comfortably. The tent protects it all from anyone wanting to grab and go and its all waterproof, so who cares if it gets rained on.

Save the weight for where you need it: Your RTT, your family, your supplies, and your winch :P

Also, I <3 Aluminum.

Jeep Gladiator Are most Overlanding rigs overweight? IMG_0249

Last edited:

rchandler341

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Point of reference, that camper is 4870#. A 4x4 crew cab 1-ton has a payload of 6600# (gas) or 5600# (diesel).

Companies are cashing in on mall crawlers and car campers that want to look "cool."
Yes, you are very correct. Dry Weight without any of the options. They will sell it to you and even load it on your truck. Just add water, waste tanks full, and it's 5990#. You, your wife, kids, dogs, will not be going with you on the campout. If you haul water, now you can't have the Diesel engine. With the gasser you have 610# of payload to take. That's (4)four adults. Forget about bedding, clothing, food, and toys. Forget about the air conditioning option and generator option. Solar panels? Bigger batteries? It all adds up quick. Then put a receiver extension out about four feet and add the four wheeler or boat trailer tongue weight. We all see it everywhere we go. Add a leaf, air bags, and it's good to go. Like I said, I followed a couple vehicles like this a couple weeks ago. Pretty scary to watch. All nice new shiny rigs.

This is what I was trying to relate. They all give you a dry weight and the truck companies are showing you the best payload until you really take the time to see what it all adds up too. It is achievable to stay within the limits but rarely does anyone accomplish this goal.

And for the EarthRoamer XV-LT? Yeah, GVWR of 19,500 gets swallowed up pretty fast with granite counters, tankage capacities, and all the other options.

I am not saying it cannot be done, but even that mini-van passing you with the cargo on top, basket on the rear hitch, and squatting like it's ready give birth is so far over and no-one gives it a second thought. Except for us that are weight conscious.

Sponsored

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I am a bit on the heavy end with a canopy camper, steal bumpers, winch, built in stove with 5gal tank, recovery gear, clothes, fridge, bikes, 2-20L Jerry cans, cooking stuff, wine, food…the list goes on. I feel safe, it stops as well loaded as it does empty (I go slower when loaded) and is still Offroad capable.

C2EF260A-5803-417B-A232-406031D0B2CE.jpeg

jc1986

First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon sting grey 6spd
I don't know if this thread is still relevant but.... do you need all of that stuff for the locations you will be traveling to? Have you been in situations where that one item or piece of kit made the difference between driving out and walking out?

If you haven't read the overland journal article on vehicle modifications and what you actually need for travel not just what you need to make it look like you travel its worth a shot. Jeeps were never designed to carry much weight, they were designed to be flexible and maneuver through tight spots.

https://expeditionportal.com/vehicl...travel-the-10-rules-of-vehicle-modifications/

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
simple, gearing and suspension. My Overlanding trips are usually 3-5 nights. I recycled alot of my ultra-light backpacking gear. so I'm guessing 400-600 lbs of equipment. I run 1 spare (I have a tire repair kit and a credit card if needed). I might do the Alaskan Highway next year, so I would bring more gear, but not that much, maybe 100-200lbs more? I may go solo in my vehicle if the wife doesn't wish to attend, but hopefully with 2-4 more vehicles, so cross leveling equipment will be key to saving weight.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I don't know if this thread is still relevant but.... do you need all of that stuff for the locations you will be traveling to? Have you been in situations where that one item or piece of kit made the difference between driving out and walking out?

If you haven't read the overland journal article on vehicle modifications and what you actually need for travel not just what you need to make it look like you travel its worth a shot. Jeeps were never designed to carry much weight, they were designed to be flexible and maneuver through tight spots.

https://expeditionportal.com/vehicl...travel-the-10-rules-of-vehicle-modifications/
The thread and article will always be relevant. I read the article when I was building my truck and tried to take all of that into account. Somethings I was successful with, others I was not.

I doubt many people here are using their gladiators as truly dedicated expedition vehicles, so there is probably some leeway on weight and everything else. A lot of people are lifting their Jeeps for aesthetics more than capability. I lifted mine because I could not get heavier coils to support the camper at the time. If I did it again, I would hold off until I could get heavier coils And skip the lift.

While I do have a lot of crap loaded in mine, most of It was selected for weight and some things do not get packed for every trip. A lot of trips we have only one jerry can. Usually I do not carry traction boards. There are times I do not carry a kinetic rope. It is all about managing the load for each trip.

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
My Gladiator was purchased to be a long range Overland build. I am hoping to finish it when I return from the beach next week. Like many here I have been keeping a very close eye on my weight choosing my components carefully and most importantly keeping things as modular as possible so that I can adjust the build for the trip we’ll be going on. I am a strong be;I ever of keeping within my GVWR so it will be interesting to see what “SHERPAH” my Gladiator will weigh.

Our first shakedown trip will be coming up later this month to Colorado and Utah. I hope to do a write up on my build here in the next week or so…Stay tuned….

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
simple, gearing and suspension. My Overlanding trips are usually 3-5 nights. I recycled alot of my ultra-light backpacking gear. so I'm guessing 400-600 lbs of equipment. I run 1 spare (I have a tire repair kit and a credit card if needed). I might do the Alaskan Highway next year, so I would bring more gear, but not that much, maybe 100-200lbs more? I may go solo in my vehicle if the wife doesn't wish to attend, but hopefully with 2-4 more vehicles, so cross leveling equipment will be key to saving weight.
You should weigh it. We keep most of our camping gear in bins in the garage (as do many others, I'd assume).

A few years ago I took our bins down and weighed them. We have probably 10 bins of crap; crampons, hiking sleeping bags, hiking tents, ground tents, regular sleeping bags, stove(s), bladders, spare plates and napkins and utensils... Pretty much everything and more. The only thing I did not weigh was our camp chairs.

Threw the bins on a bathroom scale and tallied them up. Just a hair over 400#. And we don't take all of that; maybe half that. We've changed our setup some, so I need to re-weigh it. And pare it down some more.

I'm down to two big bins and two small ones, a camp chef kitchen, 5lb propane tank. 100# RTT and 60# rack. And the cooler.

Someday I'll be able to convince my wife she doesn't need 3 bags of clothes for a weekend...

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
You should weigh it. We keep most of our camping gear in bins in the garage (as do many others, I'd assume).

A few years ago I took our bins down and weighed them. We have probably 10 bins of crap; crampons, hiking sleeping bags, hiking tents, ground tents, regular sleeping bags, stove(s), bladders, spare plates and napkins and utensils... Pretty much everything and more. The only thing I did not weigh was our camp chairs.

Threw the bins on a bathroom scale and tallied them up. Just a hair over 400#. And we don't take all of that; maybe half that. We've changed our setup some, so I need to re-weigh it. And pare it down some more.

I'm down to two big bins and two small ones, a camp chef kitchen, 5lb propane tank. 100# RTT and 60# rack. And the cooler.

Someday I'll be able to convince my wife she doesn't need 3 bags of clothes for a weekend...

Someday I'll be able to convince my wife she doesn't need 3 bags of clothes for a weekend. .......yeah good luck with that, lol

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
No such thing as overweight when dealing with mid sized trucks overlanding, army vehicles weigh significantly more and make their way through terrains just fine, loaded with gear and humans.

Jeep Gladiator Are most Overlanding rigs overweight? 1631117962905

Just need better springs and if you go really pigish you can upgrade brakes. The trucks are setup for comfort and road manners, that is the issue more than anything.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
My trips aren’t more than an extended weekend typically.

I learned to carry less and enjoy more a long time ago. It is easy to go over weight. Just ask my stretchy pants.

Jeep Gladiator Are most Overlanding rigs overweight? ACE89791-9A8B-4034-B6BB-D9714EDAFE9D

I used to have this patch on my headliner to remind me of this.
Sponsored