Are seat covers worth it?

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I was on the bartact site yesterday about ready to go with the black with OD green covers to go with my gator gladiator. Then I noticed that OD green does not have their UV resistance warranty, first strike, but their reasoning did make sense.

Then I added up the price of the front and back in my head, figured at that point I should get the console cover as well to complete the set. That was when I was looking at $700 to cover the seats.... From what I have seen of the few competitors bartact do seem worth the premium over their competitors, but even the competitors are looking to be 200+ just for the front, if they even have back ones.

I am just wondering after all this how much are the non-heated cloth seats in the rubicon worth? Are they worth enough to justify nearly $700 to protect them? The only reason I am going down this path is it is becoming clear that my seats will be getting a lot of sun on them with the doors and roof off pretty much all summer. Probably will end up in the occasional shower no matter how hard I plan.

tl/dr: Are seat covers worth it given the cost on cloth sets, if I intend to never put the doors or top back on the JT.
Sponsored

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I was on the bartact site yesterday about ready to go with the black with OD green covers to go with my gator gladiator. Then I noticed that OD green does not have their UV resistance warranty, first strike, but their reasoning did make sense.

Then I added up the price of the front and back in my head, figured at that point I should get the console cover as well to complete the set. That was when I was looking at $700 to cover the seats.... From what I have seen of the few competitors bartact do seem worth the premium over their competitors, but even the competitors are looking to be 200+ just for the front, if they even have back ones.

I am just wondering after all this how much are the non-heated cloth seats in the rubicon worth? Are they worth enough to justify nearly $700 to protect them? The only reason I am going down this path is it is becoming clear that my seats will be getting a lot of sun on them with the doors and roof off pretty much all summer. Probably will end up in the occasional shower no matter how hard I plan.

tl/dr: Are seat covers worth it given the cost on cloth sets, if I intend to never put the doors or top back on the JT.
My wife owned a Forerunner years back and she kept her seats covered from day one. After about 10 years of protection and care someone stole the vehicle, and guess what, after recovery all they wanted was the interior. Lesson learned, use and enjoy and when your seats get to the point you can't stand it, have them recovered and enjoy again

sarcasm

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Coverking $428 shipped for Neoprene seat covers front and back.

I have had neoprene seat covers on my Wrangle since it was new and they still look great after 7 years. I also have a set on my Miata. They are tough and waterproof. Neoprene is the material they make wetsuits out of and it will remain damp for a little while but dries very quickly. It is also fairly soft and feels good to the touch.

I have had seats recovered before and it is not cheap unless you do it yourself with a kit. The material you choose will also make a big difference.

To me it is just to easy to damage or stain you seats. Put a screwdriver in you back pocket while working and sit down and suddenly you have a hole it one that will get bigger over time. The uncovered back seats in my minivan look like a Jackson Pollock painting (Kids). And with a convertible there is the rain issue. If you plan to have it for a long time the cloth seats will wear out on the drivers side just from normal use. (Leather wears better)

To me cheap covers are not worth it cause the whole point it to keep them looking good. The fitted ones look nice and last a long time. You can also remove covers and clean them pretty easily if needed.

Seatcover1.jpg

Seatcover2.jpg

OP
OP

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
I like how I am torn and get one response in each direction, lol.

My wife owned a Forerunner years back and she kept her seats covered from day one. After about 10 years of protection and care someone stole the vehicle, and guess what, after recovery all they wanted was the interior. Lesson learned, use and enjoy and when your seats get to the point you can't stand it, have them recovered and enjoy again
This is what has me leading towards not getting a cover. When it comes down to it if they are always covered what am I really saving them for.

Coverking $428 shipped for Neoprene seat covers front and back.

I have had neoprene seat covers on my Wrangle since it was new and they still look great after 7 years. I also have a set on my Miata. They are tough and waterproof. Neoprene is the material they make wetsuits out of and it will remain damp for a little while but dries very quickly. It is also fairly soft and feels good to the touch.

I have had seats recovered before and it is not cheap unless you do it yourself with a kit. The material you choose will also make a big difference.

To me it is just to easy to damage or stain you seats. Put a screwdriver in you back pocket while working and sit down and suddenly you have a hole it one that will get bigger over time. The uncovered back seats in my minivan look like a Jackson Pollock painting (Kids). And with a convertible there is the rain issue. If you plan to have it for a long time the cloth seats will wear out on the drivers side just from normal use. (Leather wears better)

To me cheap covers are not worth it cause the whole point it to keep them looking good. The fitted ones look nice and last a long time. You can also remove covers and clean them pretty easily if needed.
Are these the ones you got?

https://www.coverking.com/seat-cove...-for-2020-jeep-gladiator-rubicon.html#vselect

I agree with you with kids destroying them, my van has leather and I have no clue what is going on with the color in there.

My biggest concern though is what do you think the carolina sun will do to the seats if I don't cover them. I am worried one or two rain storms and a summer or two of sun and these things will get trashed. I honestly only drive the JT when the top/doors are off so I expect mine to get a lot more UV wear than most.

Soedog

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2006 BMW Z4 3. 0si. Previous Jeeps: 2012 JK Sport, 2016 JK Rubicon Hard Rock Edition
Occupation
Quality Engineering Tech
Have used the Bartact covers in my last 3 Jeeps after initially trying neoprene covers. To me nothing compares to Bartact for multiple reasons.
1: Toughness of material and fade resistance. My neoprene covers faded badly after just one summer.
2: Additional storage options with dozens of Molle loops and zippered storage pockets (always need more storage in a Jeep).
3: Material stays cool even in direct sunlight and biggest advantage over neoprene is “No Swamp Ass” on hot humid days.
4: Remove, wash and reinstall and they look like the day you bought them.
5: Fit like a glove and multiple color and style options. Got the red stitching on my current set to match my JT’s leather.
6: Resale - Have sold 3 previous used sets and have got $200+ for the fronts only.

69524B94-386F-4310-A316-F88378452885.jpeg

6E2AAD5A-DA20-403C-9EA6-9C08A749E7BA.jpeg

68D880E6-B030-47B1-AC3C-47824F4BB494.jpeg

5A38F470-2053-404D-8F27-9DEA1D15B483.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Have used the Bartact covers in my last 3 Jeeps after initially trying neoprene covers. To me nothing compares to Bartact for multiple reasons.
1: Toughness of material and fade resistance. My neoprene covers faded badly after just one summer.
2: Additional storage options with dozens of Molle loops and zippered storage pockets (always need more storage in a Jeep).
3: Material stays cool even in direct sunlight and biggest advantage over neoprene is “No Swamp Ass” on hot humid days.
4: Remove, wash and reinstall and they look like the day you bought them.
5: Fit like a glove and multiple color and style options. Got the red stitching on my current set to match my JT’s leather.
6: Resale - Have sold 3 previous used sets and have got $200+ for the fronts only.

Jeep Gladiator Are seat covers worth it? 5A38F470-2053-404D-8F27-9DEA1D15B483

Would you say the covers hold up better than the cloth would to something like sun? I really am liking the look of them. Sadly I don't see myself using the molle ever due to how much I have had to doors off already this year. The swamp ass prevention also sounds really nice.

Man they were not kidding how expensive jeeps are.... lol

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Are they worth enough to justify nearly $700 to protect them?
Probably not. Recovering isn't expensive, and then you don't have to deal with the annoyance of seat covers. To give another relative perspective, my friend had his Jeep done over in leather and heated inserts for only $1200. Custom colors, front and back, out the door.

OP
OP

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Probably not. Recovering isn't expensive, and then you don't have to deal with the annoyance of seat covers. To give another relative perspective, my friend had his Jeep done over in leather and heated inserts for only $1200. Custom colors, front and back, out the door.
And this is what I was thinking. I am guessing that if the cloth is faded too much or torn from the sun damage a few years from now, recovering or even replacing the front seats might not seem like much when compared to $700 for covers.

Soedog

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2006 BMW Z4 3. 0si. Previous Jeeps: 2012 JK Sport, 2016 JK Rubicon Hard Rock Edition
Occupation
Quality Engineering Tech
Would you say the covers hold up better than the cloth would to something like sun? I really am liking the look of them. Sadly I don't see myself using the molle ever due to how much I have had to doors off already this year. The swamp ass prevention also sounds really nice.

Man they were not kidding how expensive jeeps are.... lol
Definitely will hold up better than the factory cloth, material is super tough and durable. You would be surprised the uses or things that can be stored with the molle. Have my hat attached with a carbiner clip so it’s handy and won’t blow away. Also keep my LED flashlight tucked in the loops and in arms reach.There are also zippered pockets front and rear that I have stuffed with all sorts of stuff. Believe me you will find plenty of uses even if you don’t have molle bags.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
And this is what I was thinking. I am guessing that if the cloth is faded too much or torn from the sun damage a few years from now, recovering or even replacing the front seats might not seem like much when compared to $700 for covers.
Yeah, exactly. And the factory cloth is surprisingly durable. I was pretty rough on mine, always cleaned right up. I did do Scotchguard on it from day 1.

Sponsored

OP
OP

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Such a tough decision Good reasons on both sides.

Definitely will hold up better than the factory cloth, material is super tough and durable. You would be surprised the uses or things that can be stored with the molle. Have my hat attached with a carbiner clip so it’s handy and won’t blow away. Also keep my LED flashlight tucked in the loops and in arms reach.There are also zippered pockets front and rear that I have stuffed with all sorts of stuff. Believe me you will find plenty of uses even if you don’t have molle bags.
I actually had a few molle bags on the back of my seats and just removed all but the one used as the trash can because I wasn't using them. I just didn't feel comfortable leaving them in the open. With as little driving as I have been doing lately I don't even put the doors back on my JT anymore, just keep the cover over it and drive it when I need to and the weather is nice. The pattern on these does look a lot more useful though.

Yeah, exactly. And the factory cloth is surprisingly durable. I was pretty rough on mine, always cleaned right up. I did do Scotchguard on it from day 1.
Scotchguard might be a good idea. The kids absolutely trashed the leather seats in my van.

OP
OP

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
I've um, heard, that if you spill the guacamole topping from your taquitos on the Scothguarded seats, it will wipe right off.
Good to know. Glad they are tested for oddly specific things, lol

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've had seat covers on my LJ and worn out quite a few, when I lived in S.E. GA the doors and top would be off most of the time. Sun and rain seat covers saved the seats a lot let alone from coffee stains and wearing the edge of seat from getting in and out. Easy to clean up take off wash put back on. I got a set on my JT.... Carhart. No F****** way I'm paying $600-700 for a set, that's a month car note on it. I'll wear out the seat for that. As I have said in a few threads a lot of companies are getting out of control on their prices, especially when it is for the JT, I remember reading that another member here bought tubular doors for his JT by getting ones listed as for a JL for about 1/2 or 2/3 the price listed for JT the same ones. That's as bad as dealership I visited last year having a JL Rubicon listed for 15-20k more than the dealership I got my JT from they had a JL Rubicon with the same added stuff and the same color.

OP
OP

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
I've had seat covers on my LJ and worn out quite a few, when I lived in S.E. GA the doors and top would be off most of the time. Sun and rain seat covers saved the seats a lot let alone from coffee stains and wearing the edge of seat from getting in and out. Easy to clean up take off wash put back on. I got a set on my JT.... Carhart. No F****** way I'm paying $600-700 for a set, that's a month car note on it. I'll wear out the seat for that. As I have said in a few threads a lot of companies are getting out of control on their prices, especially when it is for the JT, I remember reading that another member here bought tubular doors for his JT by getting ones listed as for a JL for about 1/2 or 2/3 the price listed for JT the same ones. That's as bad as dealership I visited last year having a JL Rubicon listed for 15-20k more than the dealership I got my JT from they had a JL Rubicon with the same added stuff and the same color.
You get it, that southern sun can be brutal. Are the Carhart ones anygood? I agree the prices seem crazy, with the seat covers it doesn't seem to matter if it is JL or JT they are both crazy.

I remember the post about the tube doors. I am honestly disappointed in the aftermarket for the JL/JT in general. The mirror situation is even worse if you want something that doesn't move are all in the 250 range, meanwhile the JK has something like the quadratech mirror movers that give you a full size permanent solution for the same cost. I am seriously dying inside about to spend 250+ on the cmm ones.
Sponsored