Sponsored

Are the days of Gladiators holding their values gone?

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado 1500 Custom/Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Occupation
Retired for now!
When I traded my Ranger Tremor to get back into a Jeep Gladiator, Jeep had a $4000 rebate. I believe it is still in effect. With the interest rates high and a lot of new vehicles not selling, including a lot of new Gladiators on dealer lots, there are a lot of discounts off MSRP. I made money off the 21 Gladiator Rubicon I had and now I see a dealer selling Gladiators $10,000 off of MSRP. Not sure if all the discounts are available to everyone, but it still doesn't help some of those wanting to get a decent trade in price. Took a picture off my computer screen a few minutes ago. Not the best pic, but you can see the low prices of these base Sports.
Wow!
Jeep Gladiator Are the days of Gladiators holding their values gone? IMG_3259
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Like I said elsewhere, and Jeep people seem to be a bit narrow-viewed on prices - it's a trend across almost all vehicles. It's a correction phase.

Jeep Gladiator Are the days of Gladiators holding their values gone? 1683774461351

Jeep Gladiator Are the days of Gladiators holding their values gone? 1683774497325

It's not that they are not holding their value, it's that Jeep people were so used to the stupid high prices where a used JT might actually sell for the same price, or close to it, of a brand new one.
That was wrong, abnormal. It was like a stock being over-valued, then dropping like a rock to where it should be. But people panic when that happens.
The problem is that they have to suffer a quick loss, a large loss, to get down where they belong.
PLUS - inflation has hit people so hard that they need to concentrate on increased interest rates (also impacting car buyers) and other rising prices. We're leaving an unusual period and getting back to normal. Often the pendulum swings a bit far a couple of ways before getting to normal.
If we had to buy a new vehicle now, we could not. Inflation has hit us hard plus our HVAC is needing replaced. We were lucky we got our purchases in when we did. We'd not be able to do it now and that would mean 2 less Jeeps sold.

Jeep Gladiator Are the days of Gladiators holding their values gone? 1683774780262

So if they've plunged 8.7% across the board, that's not far from 10% - a $50,000 Jeep a year ago, the same model, same condition, would sell for around $46,000 now, maybe less.

Gee, I wasn't too far off with my 10% -

Jeep Gladiator Are the days of Gladiators holding their values gone? 1683774894356

No, it's not just Jeep. No time to panic.
It's a correction.
It's not that prices are plummeting, it's that prices were just plain stupid a year or so ago.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I just had a legit $43K offer on my 2020 Gator Rubicon (28,000 miles) as a trade-in
Not bad. That's close to what I got for my 2020 JT Overland with 27,000 miles as a trade-in on my 2022 last July.

Digster

First Name
Diggy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Collector
When I traded my Ranger Tremor to get back into a Jeep Gladiator, Jeep had a $4000 rebate. I believe it is still in effect. With the interest rates high and a lot of new vehicles not selling, including a lot of new Gladiators on dealer lots, there are a lot of discounts off MSRP. I made money off the 21 Gladiator Rubicon I had and now I see a dealer selling Gladiators $10,000 off of MSRP. Not sure if all the discounts are available to everyone, but it still doesn't help some of those wanting to get a decent trade in price. Took a picture off my computer screen a few minutes ago. Not the best pic, but you can see the low prices of these base Sports.
Wow!
Jeep Gladiator Are the days of Gladiators holding their values gone? 1683774894356
There’s a kicker to these prices - read the fine print.

‘Must trade in a 2016 or newer vehicle.”

Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
mid sized truck values have been falling off versus full size that are still sky high. and wrangler values have been falling as well.

Only makes sense that a mid sized wrangler truck would see dropping values.

It was fun while it lasted, and the market is what helped me turn my prndl Willys into a Mojave with a proper transmission so i'll be forever grateful for that.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
There’s a kicker to these prices - read the fine print.

‘Must trade in a 2016 or newer vehicle.”
Yup. That and there’s generally a baked in $1,000 loyalty discount, $500-1,000 military discount, $1,000 saved baby seals from clubbing discount, etc. It’s click-bait/deceptive marketing to get buyers on a lot.

On used prices in general…they’ve been asinine for a couple years now. I.e. I paid $25K for a Subaru Outback a couple years ago with 12K miles. At two years old and 42K miles, the property taxes on it were assessed based on $31K because of the current market values.

Stratus109

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL , WJ
Occupation
Welder
I just had a legit $43K offer on my 2020 Gator Rubicon (28,000 miles) as a trade-in. I almost bit the bullet and traded in for a 2023 two-door JL Ruibcon since I just moved into a very urban area. I couldn't bring myself to do it.
You made the right choice… not really gaining much.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Yeah, the salad days are gone. I was only able to trade into my last two Gladiators because of the ability to kite the abnormal high market value of the last two years for used.

Buying new now and paying full MSRP pricing is a fools game that will suppress the used market. Like what @ShadowsPapa said, the market is correcting for the last 2-3 years.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I can still pull $32,000 for mine with right at 71,000 miles with about $9000 in upgrades overall but that's what I would expect after it being 3+ yrs old. All in I'm at right around $45,000 invested in upgrades and Jeep. That still seems like a pretty good hold in value compared to other vehicles.

Also those prices come with a lot of stipulations not listed. Go to the dealership and you will probably find that 75% of the price has mark downs and discounts you don't qualify for. Those prices are there to get you to go shopping on their lot and then once they reel you in then they hit you with the real price.

Stratus109

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL , WJ
Occupation
Welder
With the work I put into the JT, dogs, an old house I'm constantly working on, beach trips, etc...I really don't know what I was thinking. I was feeling nostalgic for my old TJ days.
Just pick up a used one in like 10 years lol

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I always read these threads and then wonder if people don't remember the car market pre-covid where all these prices are normal. The gladiator and wranglers have high msrps compared to class vehicles and have always had decent incentives much like full size trucks where you never pay close to MSRP because they're priced to allow discounts (other than tundras). Even during COVID it's been easy to get 10-12k off MSRP by going to an under invoice dealer.

MattMc123

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
Feeling kind of lucky. Just traded my 2020 JLU altitude a few weeks ago for a 2021 JT Rubicon. Still not sure what the dealer was thinking. Basically gave me what I paid for the car in 2019 and was selling the JT at like 5k under KBB.

So $40k for my trade which has 55k miles for the JT + $8k that has 7k miles and 1 year left of warranty. And I got a $1k back canceling my extended warranty.
Sponsored