Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
  • Banned
Just out of curiosity how many of you guys and gals are thinking of just getting the plain Jane sport model? Thinking of sport hardtop max tow auto. This has definitely been a struggle trying to decide which trim to get and the more I think about it the more I kinda like the plain base sport. After all I want to be one with nature and hit some trails do some awesome camping ect why would I need all that technology? Alot of the tech I feel like I could do without and I've got a hand to turn the windows up and down. I really like the simplicity of it and less to tear up or glitching out. Thoughts?
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
For me the Sport S with no options is the absolute minimum I'd consider. I had a 2011 JKU Sport and it didn't take long at all until those manual door locks and windows became a pain in the ***. I kept thinking, "I have to reach around the B-pillar and lock/unlock the rear doors by feel? In 2011? Why did I do this?" And having to dig for the key everytime I needed to load something in the back....and the plastic steering wheel that became slippery when wet....and those little ugly steel wheels... I just couldn't stand it after a while and after 12 months I ditched it early for a Sport S model and haven't regretted it a day.

I totally understand not needing or wanting sophisticated technology. Understand that 100%. But for me, power windows and locks are pretty much a necessity these days.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I tend to agree with @WXman. But for now I want to see and drive a manual transmission Gladiator before I make any final decision. Have had manual windows, mirrors and locks before and really no big deal to me.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Hey @Rex3rd in case you are interested Harold Zeigler had a base Sport model in a couple of days ago. It has already been sold. But at this minute they are unloading another red base Sport model that has an automatic transmission. If you are looking for a low price truck with very few options then you might want to quickly call them. First one sold super fast, did not even have time to post pictures of it on their website.

Digger70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Altitude
I'd rather have the power options. Back in '14 when I ordered my first JK which was a Willys Wheeler, I really wanted a Sahara which was only $1000 or so more. But the Willys was a new edition and I went with it even though it had no power options. Second time around I went with the Sahara which was loaded. But get whatever you want.

Sponsored

Jeepdude413

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Occupation
Job.... always got a job...
Just out of curiosity how many of you guys and gals are thinking of just getting the plain Jane sport model? Thinking of sport hardtop max tow auto. This has definitely been a struggle trying to decide which trim to get and the more I think about it the more I kinda like the plain base sport. After all I want to be one with nature and hit some trails do some awesome camping ect why would I need all that technology? Alot of the tech I feel like I could do without and I've got a hand to turn the windows up and down. I really like the simplicity of it and less to tear up or glitching out. Thoughts?
I traded in a jk 2 dr , rubicon, for my JT. It is the sport s w/ max tow. Couldn’t see payin that much for options i rarely used on my JK. Sway bar was always giving me issues and i had to tear it apart and fix so eventually put On a hellwig and eliminated the factory one. My off road adventures are trail riding with an occasional oh s()t moment so the 4:1 t-case was overkill for me. Can count on both hands and maybe one foot the number of times I actually used the lockers during one of those moments. Locked it in more to ensure operation if I needed. You know the type of wheel-in you do, choose from that and not because of cool features that cost valuable “goodies” money. JMO. Happy wheel-in!

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I was in the same boat debating going with a base Sport also. I went down to my local dealer to check out and sit in a base Sport JL to get a feel for it and did not like it. I am 6'4" and with the seat adjusted to where I would normally be driving, my left knee would be laying against the door window crank handle and I cannot handle having that poke the side of my knee for any length of time driving.

To me, base models only make sense if you plan to keep them that way. Once mods add up, you are then into what a Sport S or higher would get you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rex3rd

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
  • Banned
Hey @Rex3rd in case you are interested Harold Zeigler had a base Sport model in a couple of days ago. It has already been sold. But at this minute they are unloading another red base Sport model that has an automatic transmission. If you are looking for a low price truck with very few options then you might want to quickly call them. First one sold super fast, did not even have time to post pictures of it on their website.
I think I want to at least sit in one and give it a test drive to see how I'd like the sport or sport s. I'm really leaning on the sport s like everyone else for a couple Grand more you get more value and still can keep it pretty simple. I believe I've talked myself out of the Rubicon and overland for good it's not the lockers and gadgets on it but it's the nice hood and bigger tires I like on the Rubi .I know you can upgrade tires with a lift on a sport s so I'm good there but what about the hood or fenders? Can you buy a new Rubicon hood from a dealership (probably insanely expensive). I live in Alabama and my area isnt rocky really it's more muddy than anything so Rubi would really be Overkill. I just want a basic rig that I can eventually get a small boat and a small camper to camp fish or a trailer for my 4wheelers also would be my daily driver

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
dont think we will get a sport down here sport s is the lowest trim available on the jl & they are expecting the same for the jt

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
You can buy a rubicon hood but be prepared to part with some real money to do it.

Quadratech wants 1050.00 for the JL/JT before paint. Plus the fun of removing and installing.

Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Hey @Rex3rd if you want to pull a trailer of most any size then you will more than likely want to get an automatic transmission. Generally speaking manual transmissions usually can’t haul as much weight. So if you like to drive a stick shift and if you only need to haul a small trailer then you should be ok with a stick shift. For bigger trailers you should get an automatic transmission.

And regarding a base Sport versus a Sport S or Overland or a Gladiator it’s really a personal preference thing and just how loaded up do you want your truck to be with the various options. If you just want a basic truck with power windows, mirrors and locks then go with a Sport S. And if you want to load it up with other options and a bigger stereo screen and such then head up to the Overland or to the Rubicon model. And I believe there’s a lot more to do with extra towing and 4 wheel drive capabilities in the Rubicon model, not certain.

To each his or her own. Create/order your own ride the way you want it equipped and in the color of your choice.

Krazy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 310gs
I'm torn also, on the basic sport are there any wires to the door? If I can pull the doors quickly without having to remove panels to access connectors would be a win in my book, if I could pull the doors in less than 5 minutes it's more likely to happen, auto headlights and climate controls tend to piss me off also.

OP
OP
Rex3rd

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Hey @Rex3rd if you want to pull a trailer of most any size then you will more than likely want to get an automatic transmission. Generally speaking manual transmissions usually can’t haul as much weight. So if you like to drive a stick shift and if you only need to haul a small trailer then you should be ok with a stick shift. For bigger trailers you should get an automatic transmission.

And regarding a base Sport versus a Sport S or Overland or a Gladiator it’s really a personal preference thing and just how loaded up do you want your truck to be with the various options. If you just want a basic truck with power windows, mirrors and locks then go with a Sport S. And if you want to load it up with other options and a bigger stereo screen and such then head up to the Overland or to the Rubicon model. And I believe there’s a lot more to do with extra towing and 4 wheel drive capabilities in the Rubicon model, not certain.

To each his or her own. Create/order your own ride the way you want it equipped and in the color of your choice.
My build most likely will be sport s sting grey auto max tow hard top 7inch radio and aux switches. Debating on the safety group that gives you led tail lights. I really like the blindspot monitoring it's saved us a few times in our escape.other than that it's a simple build

OP
OP
Rex3rd

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
I'm torn also, on the basic sport are there any wires to the door? If I can pull the doors quickly without having to remove panels to access connectors would be a win in my book, if I could pull the doors in less than 5 minutes it's more likely to happen, auto headlights and climate controls tend to piss me off also.
I've read there are still wires to the door so you still have to take off quick release harness

propkillr

First Name
Howell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jk
I was in the same boat debating going with a base Sport also. I went down to my local dealer to check out and sit in a base Sport JL to get a feel for it and did not like it. I am 6'4" and with the seat adjusted to where I would normally be driving, my right knee would be laying against the door window crank handle and I cannot handle having that poke the side of my knee for any length of time driving.

To me, base models only make sense if you plan to keep them that way. Once mods add up, you are then into what a Sport S or higher would get you.
Hoot to is right! That window crank handle is a bear up against the knee. My JK Willy’s is that way and it not fun after awhile. That’s why I went knob less I know crazy man but I love jeeps!
Sponsored