Sponsored

At what point are additional skids needed?

TTU03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Willys
New to Jeep’s and interested in some mild to moderate off-roading. I’m building up recovery gear in hopes to make it to Hot Springs to try my hand at the easier trails and in particular snake which is a boh trail. Snake is rated as mild. I have a stock Willys with mud tires. Should I b concerned with additional skid plates before making the six hour trip to Hot Springs?
Sponsored

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
New to Jeeps and interested in some mild to moderate off-roading. I’m building up recovery gear in hopes to make it to Hot Springs to try my hand at the easier trails and in particular snake which is a boh trail. Snake is rated as mild. I have a stock Willys with mud tires. Should I b concerned with additional skid plates before making the six hour trip to Hot Springs?
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/unplanned-trip-to-hot-springs-orv-park.59018/

I’m a noob. The willys doesn’t have any stock skid plates like the rubicon?
I have been super impressed what my stock rubicon will do. I have worried so much about what skids I *have* to buy, and I’ve had minor scrapes to my stock ones.
If you don’t have any stock I think it’d be worth getting basic skids for peace of mind.
Early Litebrite videos on YouTube show just how much you can abuse stock rubicon skids, which are weak… and I’ve barely touched them doing pretty rough forest roads out west.
What I briefly watched on Snake Trail doesn’t look that bad, but it always looks flatter on video. Seems similar to what I’ve ran?
I still think it’s worth protecting stuff that will be hard to fix/get you stranded so I’d do rubicon-esque transmission skid, maybe the Rusty’s LCA frame skids, maybe shock and diff skids/covers.
My .02.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Without knowing your area, you are probably fine. I believe all JTs have skid plates already, and you don't really need more unless you'll be dragging the belly on everything climbing. Rubicons have a few more, like on the corners of the bed, but "mild" should mean you won't need to worry about that too much.

Last edited:

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
The Rusty's LCA bracket skids are cheap and easy to install. Whamming the LCA mount on the frame is HIGHLY likely in the JT, just the nature of a long wheelbase.

A skid for the receiver hitch could be very helpful, as well. If you have one, that is.

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech

Sponsored

OP
OP
TTU03

TTU03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Willys
while I'm not familiar with the terrain down there, I would say start with the lowest points that hit. Its real rocky where I wheel so I figured it was best to protect what can bend easy or get hung up. Once the damage is done, it's done and can be tough to straighten back out. There is plenty more to protect, but this is a start:
Rustys frame side CA skids $90
Rockhard 4x4 F&R CA & Shock skids $175
Ranco F & R Diff Sliders $160/ea
Thanks. With what you linked should I be buying both the rustys and the rockhard? Looks like the rockhard has the same skid protection as the rustys for rear lower control arms.

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
Thanks. With what you linked should I be buying both the rustys and the rockhard? Looks like the rockhard has the same skid protection as the rustys for rear lower control arms.
The rock hard kit is for the axle side only. The Rustys skids go on the frame side of the rear lower control arms ( a notorious spot getting hit on the JTs)

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
When you start rubbing underneath, you need more skids. You can encase the whole underside or you can cover the expensive parts only.

OP
OP
TTU03

TTU03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Willys
The rock hard kit is for the axle side only. The Rustys skids go on the frame side of the rear lower control arms ( a notorious spot getting hit on the JTs)
Through searching I saw that you had installed the rock hard and rustys but has an issue with the shock bolt. Do I need to purchase a longer bolt before hand? If so what exactly am I looking for?

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
Through searching I saw that you had installed the rock hard and rustys but has an issue with the shock bolt. Do I need to purchase a longer bolt before hand? If so what exactly am I looking for?
Ha, yea you will need a longer shock bolt. the skid is so thick that the oem bolt barley catches the threads on the lock nut. RH doesn't supply longer shock bolts, but they do for the CA skids....go figure. I don't remember what size bolt it was exactly, I think I just brought it to Home Depot and got one an inch longer

Sponsored

RangerG

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Instructor
My view is you can’t add to much protection. I put on the full Rock Hard skid plate package. Did not think about the LCR frame. Bet those up pretty bag at Big Bear/ Gold Mountain trail. My advice is put on everything you can afford. Peace of mind is a great thing

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
Definitely the oil pan/transmission skid.

It’s supremely vulnerable and soft. The shocks and diffs are all really solid steel so can take a glancing blow. But the oil pan and Y pipe are soft and don’t take much to deform.

641322EB-536B-455A-8E9A-6E533923D973.jpeg

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
Definitely the oil pan/transmission skid.

It’s supremely vulnerable and soft. The shocks and diffs are all really solid steel so can take a glancing blow. But the oil pan and Y pipe are soft and don’t take much to deform.

Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? 641322EB-536B-455A-8E9A-6E533923D973
This is true, but where its higher up I went with an aluminum engine/trans skid from ASFIR. Yours looks like a manual transmission though so the exhaust may be a little different

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
This is true, but where its higher up I went with an aluminum engine/trans skid from ASFIR. Yours looks like a manual transmission though so the exhaust may be a little different
Yeah, i have a manual. So theres no added crossbar across. I ordered up a new Ypipe to replace the damaged one, and got Quadratecs aluminum skid on its way to cover up that area.

Knightindullarmor

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Edition
Occupation
Firearms Instructor
Wait... all Willys come with the transfer case & gas tank skid plates. Also the rock sliders rails from the Rubicon too. For a mild trail, you should need nothing in a sport, letalone a willys
Sponsored