First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Wannabe Four Wheeler
UPDATE: I am an idiot and apologize for slandering all the innocent car burglars out there. Thanks to TYJ for helping me figure out the damage was caused by my trailer jack and not a would be thief. :facepalm:

First timer here. Hoping that I can help fellow JT owners avoid what happened to me. Noticed this morning that some punk tried to pry open my Rugged Ridge Armis tonneau cover, but all they succeeded in doing is some big time damage to my tailgate. The tailgate looks like a split soda can. I'm sure if they kept at it they would have gotten in the bed, but I'm guessing something scared them off. I live in a really good neighborhood, but got careless and should have parked my JT inside the garage. Whatever happened to good old solid steel tailgates? Hope this never happens to any of you guys or gals.

Does anyone make an aftermarket tailgate besides Wilco Off Road? Otherwise do you think it's possible to repair the tailgate?

Thanks in advance,

JTNP

Jeep Gladiator Attempted Bed Break In - Gladiator Tailgate Damaged IMG_0149

Jeep Gladiator Attempted Bed Break In - Gladiator Tailgate Damaged IMG_0148
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gladiator Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JTR
Really sorry to see that damage to your JT; that sucks. On the up side, looks like the hard tonneau held up great. I have the same one and always felt confident with it on.

DHP

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland JT
Damn that sucks. I’m pretty sure there’s a steel panel for the tailgate available from Jeep. Unless I’m misremembering. But that looks like a replacement will be necessary

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Yep that is what I am worried about as mine will be outside. Live in a niece area but we constantly have those drive by's at night trying to break into vehicles. Its actually worse being in the nice area sometimes as per the local officials. The robbers know that many of the cars or trucks in such areas always hold valuables

Sponsored

OP
OP
jtnp

jtnp

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Wannabe Four Wheeler
I have an almost identical dent in my tailgate from my tailgate hitting my trailer jack (stupid me). My body shop guy told me $300 + new plastic tailgate top for $30 from the Jeep dealership.
How did you manage to do this with the soft opening tailgate? I thought I did the same thing as I tow a utility trailer, but there's no way I would have missed something damage like that. Maybe I'm the one who is crazy.

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
How did you manage to do this with the soft opening tailgate? I thought I did the same thing as I tow a utility trailer, but there's no way I would have missed something damage like that. Maybe I'm the one who is crazy.
Long-story-short...
The tailgate was down (from me unloading something from the bed the night before) while hooked up to the trailer, I started driving (without going into reverse first, which would have alerted me to the tailgate being down)... the tailgate hit the trailer jack while going over bumps in the road. I'll post a photo tomorrow. Looks almost identical.

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave | 2021 Grand Cherokee L
I think it would be hard to break the tailgate like that and not mess up the tonneau cover. Did someone borrow your truck and back into a trailer?

I mean it happens, I've done it with other vehicles but I'd be skeptical with the break in theory.

Any cameras?

Sponsored

Deleted member 31576

That’s gotta be some soft metal for it to bend like that from someone prying downward. I would think they would try and pry up to get the top off.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
I agree, seems like there would be a least a little damage to the topper. Either way it sux.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
I think it would be hard to break the tailgate like that and not mess up the tonneau cover. Did someone borrow your truck and back into a trailer?

I mean it happens, I've done it with other vehicles but I'd be skeptical with the break in theory.

Any cameras?
It must have been an inexperienced thief as well. Most pros know to pry on the sides, not the middle.

Gladiator Girl

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Florist
Vehicle Showcase
So sorry that happened. Seeing more car theft since the pandemic. We have it here in SC on a daily basis.

WaterDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
This is why you have insurance! Claim it. It’s comprehensive and your rates won’t be impacted.
Sponsored